Stuntman08

ASU vs Penn St

53 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Handled this from the start? They won 4 matches ,PSU won 5 and had to forfeit because the kid had a family emergency lol and the moment was too big? They flew cross country down 2 starters and lost by 1 to a very game and motivated ASU team that put all there eggs in the basket for this year .......ASU wrestled a great match props to them but in reality they beat 3 unranked psu guys and conel  

Was it confirmed anywhere Edsell had a family emergency?  Haven’t seen any legit sources with any info.  Besides he probably either gets teched or pinned anyway, although not sure what next criteria is if he gets teched.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Was it confirmed anywhere Edsell had a family emergency?  Haven’t seen any legit sources with any info.  Besides he probably either gets teched or pinned anyway, although not sure what next criteria is if he gets teched.

Saw it mentioned on a penn state page which is usually pretty accurate  ,not confirmed though but if he was available 100 percent cael would send him out , they were sending manville out wrestling him up 2 weights last year, seems to be just an unfortunate  situation...zahid atleast majors him and commentators were wrong about criteria, a forfeit doesn’t count as a pin , which is why Lehigh okla. state went to 4th criteria match points scored even tho OK. State ff 133. If Cassar had majored there’s a chance psu would have won 

17 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Saw it mentioned on a penn state page which is usually pretty accurate  ,not confirmed though but if he was available 100 percent cael would send him out , they were sending manville out wrestling him up 2 weights last year, seems to be just an unfortunate  situation...zahid atleast majors him and commentators were wrong about criteria, a forfeit doesn’t count as a pin , which is why Lehigh okla. state went to 4th criteria match points scored even tho OK. State ff 133. If Cassar had majored there’s a chance psu would have won 

The commentators were correct, and you are wrong.  First criterion is number of victories, and second criterion is total number of falls, forfeits, defaults, and disqualifications..

Lehigh won because they received a forfeit to offset OSU's pin over Weiler, thus sending it to the third criterion.

31 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

klehner beat me to it but yes forfeits do count as falls.   Page 29 (32 on the PDF) - http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WR20.pdf  (note - interesting that # of techs or majors is apparently not a criteria).

Taking a quick look at total match points, it looks like PSU had 71 and ASU 63  If Zahid won by 15 then ASU would've had a 7 point advantage.  I know Cassar would've then wrestled differently but he would've needed to score at least an additional incremental 7 points just to send it to the next criteria (keep in mind in theory Zahid could've won by more than 15 too).

Edited by 1032004

58 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I don't disagree with your point by point clarification.................HOWEVER.......................11 months is not "a year and a half".  Kordell Norfleet last competed collegiately in wrestling in December of 2018 (According to his WrestleStat stats).  On December 14, 2018, to be precise.   Ironically enough he last competed in the Arizona State vs. Penn State dual in 2018.  And he lost by Tech Fall (15-0) to Penn State's Shakur Rasheed (at 184 lbs).

True. I misremembered. 

Funny how the forfeit is now the problem...like Z would not have known he needed a pin and was incapable of doing so. LOL

ASU won...PSU lost....great moment for college wrestling to have the PAC12 end a major streak

Would it have been a different outcome with Berge and Shaq in the lineup - probably so...but it wasn't

Will ASU beat PSU at the NCAA tourney - no - when PSU is at full strength they will pull ahead significantly

In the end the cocky PSU fans (not all) now know what it's like to be humbled, shocked, frustrated and lose....like all the rest of us. Welcome. 

5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Funny how the forfeit is now the problem...like Z would not have known he needed a pin and was incapable of doing so. LOL

ASU won...PSU lost....great moment for college wrestling to have the PAC12 end a major streak

Would it have been a different outcome with Berge and Shaq in the lineup - probably so...but it wasn't

Will ASU beat PSU at the NCAA tourney - no - when PSU is at full strength they will pull ahead significantly

In the end the cocky PSU fans (not all) now know what it's like to be humbled, shocked, frustrated and lose....like all the rest of us. Welcome. 

Obviously Zahid was capable of a pin, but it's not a guarantee, especially when the guy probably would've stalled and just been trying not to get pinned.   But I think he at least techs him and not sure Cassar would've had an additional 7 point margin of victory so I think ASU still wins anyway.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:50 AM, WillieBoy said:

Could it be that Zahid will be the only ASU wrestler to win? Can Penn State make a statement here and almost completely dominate the desert rats?

Well, eat crow on othis one... big time.

Congratulations to ASU. Their win is good for the Sport.

Still think Penn State takes the top spot this year. This loss has to wake up a few who spent more time reading press clippings than drilling in the room.

WHERE are the bonus point hammers? Without some stepping up they lose a lot of points come tournament time.

Good luck to both programs moving forward.

Edited by WillieBoy

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Obviously Zahid was capable of a pin, but it's not a guarantee, especially when the guy probably would've stalled and just been trying not to get pinned.   But I think he at least techs him and not sure Cassar would've had an additional 7 point margin of victory so I think ASU still wins anyway.

It kind of stinks that we have to even talk about it. Would have made even better conversation today about how Zahid had to chase down a PSU wrestler running for his life trying to not get pinned.

8 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

It kind of stinks that we have to even talk about it. Would have made even better conversation today about how Zahid had to chase down a PSU wrestler running for his life trying to not get pinned.

Reminds me of DeSanto / RBY.

9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Pyles tweeted it was failed skin check

I was there and it was an incredible event.  ASU did a great job promoting it, the arena was more packed for this than it was when I graduated from ASU.  The Penn State fans were scattered around, I know there were a few sitting behind me.  One thing I thought was great and this might have been sort of accidentally on purpose was Bubba J sitting matside in full view of Cael all night.  He was being a very enthusiastic fan and was very happy with the outcome.  ASU has a definite hole at 141, but other than that their lineup is pretty solid up and down.  I was telling the people around me to watch for Teemer because he has such great body awareness. He just seems to know where to go from any position and moves effortlessly.  I heard somebody saying he was faster and a better athlete and I told them that pretty much everybody at this level is fast and a good athlete, what sets him apart is his "feel" for wrestling.  Norfleet just housed Conel.  After the bull rush in the first 30 seconds, Conel had nothing for Norfleet who seemed like he was a step ahead the whole time.  It was good for Norfleet to wrestle from the ties where Conel can be dangerous, and he even beat him in  those positions with that knee pick in the 3rd.  ASU came out to wrestle and I think in all but 2 matches scored first.  Disappointed that Shakur didn't wrestle, but I felt like at the time that Cael didn't want to have momentum swing back to ASU after Hall majored Valencia, and Zahid putting on a scoring display against Shakur would have done that. Instead he gambled that Conel would get it done against a guy who hasn't wrestled a college match in a year and moving up a weight.  Lots of boos for the forfeit, but I think once Cael realized that Norfleet was that good and ready he knew things were in jeopardy.  

Overall it was a great event and ASU did a great job trying to fill the arena.  There were people sitting in the upper deck which up until a few years ago didn't even happen for ASU basketball.  I remember going to a game vs Harvard 4 years ago and the place was maybe 1/4 full.  Great atmosphere for a dual meet and if any recruits were watching or present, they'll see that there's a community and fans who will come and watch.  Looking forward to the next home duals in January.  

Norfleet was putting on a takedown clinic. His blast double came through like a freight train. That being said, I think the key to beating Conel right now is to just wait until the 2nd period. :(

Agree that the turnout was awesome, esp on a Friday night in Tempe the weekend before Thanksgiving. I think the Pac-12 announcers said there were 8500+ in attendance?

Bobby Hurley has definitely done a great job getting seats filled, although the rise of James Harden, the curtain of distraction going viral, the WFA remodel, etc. can also be attributed. I liked Herb Sendek too.