treep2000

Bo Nickal vs. Gordon Ryan - Modified Grappling Rules

Posting this year, because one of our International Stars that just won U23's is at the center of this. 

Bo's going to grapple with Gordon Ryan.  

Does anyone know Bo's submission grappling/bjj background, how long he's been training, his belt level, etc?  

I'm very interested to see how this pans out, but Gordon Ryan is essentially the P4P best no-gi grappler on the planet, based on his latest ADCC absolute division win.  

This may be a bloodbath in favor of Ryan, unless Bo's been training and has some significant progress in that space. 

Just now, AHamilton said:

If leg locks are legal, Bo could be joining DT in ACL rehab.

I read that they will not be allowed.  It will be standard submissions and whomever scores the most points, over 15 minutes, minus leg locks and heel locks (from what I read).

This seems pretty crazy.  I don’t know much about the sport but to go right after someone that can be considered best P4P in the world (per treep) is intense.  Would love to see it.  On Flo?

Grappling/BJJ is different in that pulling guard is acceptable. Toons can legit sit on their but and crabwalk towards you and it won't count as points if you gain top control.

Edited by nhs67
Fat fingers...

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I've never watched this Gordon guy, and I will admit I don't know the rules to this style, but I pick Bo, and easily.

Okay I just watched a highlight video on him.  It looks like they are just drilling....maybe he is that good?  What weight will this be at and what is Gordon's competition weight.  I still feel Bo will cruise by this match.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Okay I just watched a highlight video on him.  It looks like they are just drilling....maybe he is that good?  What weight will this be at and what is Gordon's competition weight.  I still feel Bo will cruise by this match.

If submissions are allowed, Bo could be in some trouble.  However, reportedly Gordon will not be allowed to use his most dangerous submissions.  If Bo wrestles him, he could have a good chance.  If he actually tries to grapple with him, it will be trouble

Ryan is 99kg (198) but also won ADCC absolute this year (no weight limit).

31 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

If submissions are allowed, Bo could be in some trouble.  However, reportedly Gordon will not be allowed to use his most dangerous submissions.  If Bo wrestles him, he could have a good chance.  If he actually tries to grapple with him, it will be trouble

Ryan is 99kg (198) but also won ADCC absolute this year (no weight limit).

I've watched a few videos now and I just don't get it.

I keep learning more.  Evidently, they won't be able to pull guard.  That's fine.. because if Gordan can get to Bo's back, it's over... his body triangle is DEVASTATING, and Bo has never felt anything like that in his life, I GUARANTEE.

43 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I keep learning more.  Evidently, they won't be able to pull guard.  That's fine.. because if Gordan can get to Bo's back, it's over... his body triangle is DEVASTATING, and Bo has never felt anything like that in his life, I GUARANTEE.

You missed Final X then when Cox brought his hips to the party.

Laid him flat.

20 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

You do not know what I body triangle is then.  It's a different animal.  

Which is why it is illegal in folkstyle.  If he can get Bo's back, there will be serious trouble, probably sleepy time.  A smart Bo will just get takedowns and not fool around with other aspects of grappling.

These modified rules will probably end up producing an incredibly boring match. If you take away a BJJ guys' guard, WTF is he supposed to do against an elite wrestler? I get that he could get into the guard after getting taken down, but Nickal is going to ankle pick the dude to death and then immediately get back up to his feet. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

7 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

These modified rules will probably end up producing an incredibly boring match. If you take away a BJJ guys' guard, WTF is he supposed to do against an elite wrestler? I get that he could get into the guard after getting taken down, but Nickal is going to ankle pick the dude to death and then immediately get back up to his feet. 

Well... at least it's better than Downey's show match.   15 minute match should favor Ryan, all he really needs is 1 scramble.  

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

You do not know what I body triangle is then.  It's a different animal.  

A) Yes I do know.  Having practiced jitz as a transitionary sport from competitive wrestling since before I was done with competitive wrestling it is pretty basic to know what it is.

B) And I can't stress how 'facepalmy' it is that I have to explain that it was a joke.  Going all the way back to when Nickal said he was bringing his hips to the party against Moore last year(and boy did he in their first match) then to Final X.  I thought it was glorious irony and nearly picture-perfect identical.

C) Why so mad bruh?

D) For cereal... why so mad?

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

A) Yes I do know.  Having practiced jitz as a transitionary sport from competitive wrestling since before I was done with competitive wrestling it is pretty basic to know what it is.

B) And I can't stress how 'facepalmy' it is that I have to explain that it was a joke.  Going all the way back to when Nickal said he was bringing his hips to the party against Moore last year(and boy did he in their first match) then to Final X.  I thought it was glorious irony and nearly picture-perfect identical.

C) Why so mad bruh?

D) For cereal... why so mad?

oh... i ain't made.  not mad at all... 

Was just pointing out that hitting J'Den's hips made of titanium is a different animal than Gordy acting like an anaconda and absolutely crushing your diaphragm so much that you have no other worldly choice but to spazz or go beddy-bye.  At ADCC, he was destroying and handling Black Belt/Red Belt masters.  Unless Bo is at least a Purple, I honestly cannot see how he is going to be able to compete if it goes to the ground.  

Also, humor is sometimes lost, especially when humor is dry, when in print.  There's no vocal tones, no body language... etc.  

So... I'm just as Chillaxed as you... all good.  

I currently train Gi/No-Gi, so it's cool to see all this playing out as of the past few years. 

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

Does Ben Askren know what a body triangle is? Asking for a friend.

from what I understand, Ben Askren knows exactly what a flying knee is... 

I heard Ben lost his last match by submission, was he caught in a body triangle when he tapped?  Not surprised if he did... and seriously... i didn't see the footage, only heard that he lost again.

4 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

oh... i ain't made.  not mad at all... 

Was just pointing out that hitting J'Den's hips made of titanium is a different animal than Gordy acting like an anaconda and absolutely crushing your diaphragm so much that you have no other worldly choice but to spazz or go beddy-bye.  At ADCC, he was destroying and handling Black Belt/Red Belt masters.  Unless Bo is at least a Purple, I honestly cannot see how he is going to be able to compete if it goes to the ground.  

Also, humor is sometimes lost, especially when humor is dry, when in print.  There's no vocal tones, no body language... etc.  

So... I'm just as Chillaxed as you... all good.  

I currently train Gi/No-Gi, so it's cool to see all this playing out as of the past few years. 

I'm rather stoked for it too, especially want to see how the size difference will play whichever way it plays.

Downey was clearly the better wrestler in a wrestling favored match Nicco... he was also much smaller. Now let's see Bo, who should also be much smaller, compete in a matchup that seems to favor the grappler over the wrestler as far as styles go.

Just now, treep2000 said:

from what I understand, Ben Askren knows exactly what a flying knee is... 

I heard Ben lost his last match by submission, was he caught in a body triangle when he tapped?  Not surprised if he did... and seriously... i didn't see the footage, only heard that he lost again.

Damian Maia is a 170lb guy who has won absolute division titles against the worlds best(absolute is essentially no-weight limit).

He is the best mma grappler on the planet.