treep2000

Bo Nickal vs. Gordon Ryan - Modified Grappling Rules

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

That looked like 2 different sequences to me.   Bo did the suplex and then let him go.  Then Ryan started crabwalking around the floor and I guess the ref made Bo engage with him on the mat, and then they went of bounds for a restart 

The ref just made Bo engage because he took Gordon down with the suplex. There was not letting him go on this ruleset.

Thanks for the video Grappler111.  It may have still ended in the same fashion but since leg locks weren't allowed I don't understand why Bo didn't employ a strategy more similar to the Korean wrestler.  If nothing else the match would have been a lot more exciting!

On 11/23/2019 at 1:59 AM, RajaThaiKnee said:

Well he’s been doing Bjj a lot longer than Bo at a professional level. Has a nasty arm triangle. As much as he plays the part of someone who hates BJJ he actually does a lot of it. Bo has only been doing it part time for a very short amount of time.

There is a YouTube video of Cael Doing BJJ with Wanderlie Silva. Cael could not even pass his guard.

Can you post this video?  I can't find it.

31 minutes ago, Axe_Spartan said:

The ref just made Bo engage because he took Gordon down with the suplex. There was not letting him go on this ruleset.

OK but the suplex didn't lead to the situation where Bo tapped though.  

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

That looked like 2 different sequences to me.   Bo did the suplex and then let him go.  Then Ryan started crabwalking around the floor and I guess the ref made Bo engage with him on the mat, and then they went of bounds for a restart 

From what I understand Gordon  couldn’t pull guard in the match to get Bo on the ground.  But once Gordon was grounded by go (the suplex) then he had the right to stay in that position and continue to try and grapple.  Since Bo disengaged (went back to neutral) and Gordon was scooting forward the ref was pushing Bo to return to the grounded position rather than telling Gordon to go back to neutral.  To wrestlers it would look like Gordon was stalling by remaining on the ground but in reality Bo was more at fault for trying to avoid the position rather to work from it as Gordon was.  

It seems that was possibly also the  reason Gordon scores 2 earlier in the fight.  Gordon didn’t have a mounted takedown, so it looks as if the points came from Bo rolling out of bounds to avoid the position, and the ref scores Gordon due to Bo esentually fleeing the scoring hold by leaving the mat.  The announcers pointed out if there was no leg locks then Bo wasn’t truly fleeing a submission hold, but the ref seemed to score it in a similar fashion to that anyway.   

Edited by MadMardigain

Thanks for the video Grappler111.  It may have still ended in the same fashion but since leg locks weren't allowed I don't understand why Bo didn't employ a strategy more similar to the Korean wrestler.  If nothing else the match would have been a lot more exciting!

In the second match the wrestler could win without the referee call that forced ground grappling.

Freestyle is very effective on the feet.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:07 PM, treep2000 said:

Athletes are athletes, regardless of sports.  Wrestling and BJJ have such a close relationship, that it's definitely correct to think that a world level wrestler would do well in BJJ.  However, I argue that if you took a teenage BJJ phenom and had him or her train wrestling for 2 years, then the same could be said for them as well.  

Also, I wouldnt slam BJJ guys so quickly... It's just a different style and there are plenty of BAMF's out there that could tap a macho wrestler in a heartbeat.  

In all this, we should be embracing the similarities and exploring the differences in both arts.  Both are fantastic.  Both are fun.  Both have a special place in my life.

Not slamming BJJ guys are all.  I'm just saying a top level wrestler would do well in BJJ if they trained full-time and understood those positions.  BJJ guys would as well.  An yeah, there are definitely BJJ guys who would tap any wrestler with no problems.  I know BJJ very well having competed at the Joe Moriera Pan Ams and a lot of the other tourneys back in the day.    That's when you would see all of the schools there except for Royce and Rorion's school because they had some association that didn't allow to compete against other schools that weren't in the association.  You'd see these guys and guys from their schools Rickson, Renzo, Ralph, Allan Goes, Gene Lebell, Carlson, Carley, Relson, Machados, Andre Pedeneiras, sometimes guys like Sperry, Carlos Baretto, Wallid, etc...

Carlson Gracie(Gracie Barra) from Brazil would always win the most medals and the Machado schools would be 2nd most.

I definitely embrace both because I've competed in both.

I guess first things first, Bo will make a 2020 Olympic run in freestyle, at 97kg? Trials are gonna be so much fun!  :D

But after the Olympics, wonder if Bo will train a lot of jj with Gordon and his team? Those guys are incredible. Here's a related article:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/12/gregor-gillespie-advice-mma-newcomer-bo-nickal-ncaa-all-american

Merry Christmas!

1 hour ago, 2td3nf said:

I guess first things first, Bo will make a 2020 Olympic run in freestyle, at 97kg? Trials are gonna be so much fun!  :D

But after the Olympics, wonder if Bo will train a lot of jj with Gordon and his team? Those guys are incredible. Here's a related article:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/12/gregor-gillespie-advice-mma-newcomer-bo-nickal-ncaa-all-american

Merry Christmas!

Why do they reference Bo and Gregor in the title as all Americans instead of national champions?