treep2000

Bo Nickal vs. Gordon Ryan - Modified Grappling Rules

Suppose someone gets a TD, releases and then repeats  two times.  We now have a match score of 3 nil with 13 minutes remaining.  Where is the incentive for another TD?  Why not turn the tables and make it clear that if the BJJ player wants it on the ground, he will have to put it there?

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I wonder if Bo could hold Gordon Ryan in a pinning combination for 14 minutes. It’s possible. Doubt Bo goes that route as it’s super dangerous to get into any scramble situation with Gordan, but it would be fun. 

A pinning combination like a half nelson (side control)?  Probably not. Those BJJ guys are used to being pinned.  And Ryan has "otherworldly" strength

Edited by AHamilton

12 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Bo ain't holding Ryan in a spladle or cradle for 14 minutes... sorry.  And after he lost control, he would be in real trouble.

I agree as soon as he loses control he would get tapped. Has Ryan ever been held in a pinning combination by an elite guy? Not saying it’s a sound strategy, but if Ryan has to figure out how to escape a cradle in the middle of a match vs one of the best cradlers ever, it might take him awhile.

As I’m sure you know, bjj guys rarely use or feel cradles and when they do, it is a temporary control/pass tool, not a stalling tool. 

As a bjj brown belt that competed in a high level and a D1 grappler from long ago, the ground game in bjj feels pretty foreign to a wrestler. Gordon's inverted game, along with his highly creative leg and foot locks, will be hard to pass from guard. Gordon will always keep his legs and knees between Bo and himself, so even if Bo gets some sort of cradle, he would be able to hold it long because it will be Gordon's leg strength against Bo's grip/arm strength. 

I rolled with a lot of blackbelts and if you can keep your body tight, (arms and legs close to body) you can avoid making the mistakes that lead to most submissions. However, one small mistake and it could be all over. BJJ , perhaps even more so than wrestling, is really a thinking mans game at the highest level and creating unconventional situations where your opponent unfamiliar with the permutations and makes a mistake are crucial.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, Dr. Doom said:

As a bjj brown belt that competed in a high level and a D1 grappler from long ago, the ground game in bjj feels pretty foreign to a wrestler. Gordon's inverted game, along with his highly creative leg and foot locks, will be hard to pass from guard. Gordon will always keep his legs and knees between Bo and himself, so even if Bo gets some sort of cradle, he would be able to hold it long because it will be Gordon's leg strength against Bo's grip/arm strength. 

I rolled with a lot of blackbelts and if you can keep your body tight, (arms and legs close to body) you can avoid making the mistakes that lead to most submissions. However, one small mistake and it could be all over. BJJ , perhaps even more so than wrestling, is really a thinking mans game at the highest level and creating unconventional situations where your opponent unfamiliar with the permutations and makes a mistake are crucial.

I'm working my way towards you!  Maybe someday I'll catch up! 

On 11/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, Dr. Doom said:

I have never done BJJ but have some of the concepts since my coach when I was doing that stuff had kind of an odd adaptive style that melded really well with wrestling.  A lot of submissions and fighting out of the guard positions and stuff, but not like the BJJ stuff I see.  I go to a BJJ place once a week for their open session and have fun with it, and a lot of them really don't like the pressure that wrestling puts on them.  In turn I'm sure I'm making a ton of mistakes that white belts don't even make, but I find myself being at least somewhat competitive with purple belt level guys.  If for no other reason than I know not to reach with my arms out and understand what a triabgle choke is and some basic defenses to that sort of thing.  I think that Nickal can beat this guy if he is smart about it.  He has to play on his strengths and not fall into where this guy is stronger or better.  Easier said than done, but it's possible.  It's really more of a question of how much does Nickal know about the ground game and what to even be cautious of doing.  I find myself wondering those things because when I go against higher level guys I'm sort of walking into stuff because I don't even know what to be worried about.  

Ok this match is only a few hours away and it hasn’t seen much discussion in over a week.  I’ve been watching everything I can on Gordon Ryan. 

He will get smoked in this match.  If there was leg locks maybe I could see it ending differently.

With these rules Bo wins by easy decision, mostly embarrassing Gordon.  I could see a RNC for Bo as well.