treep2000

Bo Nickal vs. Gordon Ryan - Modified Grappling Rules

He tapped, which is why he slammed the mat with his fist out of frustration instead of complaining to the ref. Our guy lost fair and square. But what did we expect? He was going against the Sadulaev of grappling in a mostly BJJ match while giving up 25 lbs. i thought he represented himself well. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Wasn't paying much attention, played it in the background. I heard something about Ryan doing a donkey punch and then tag teaming and engaging in an extended hybrid clinch or guarding a monkey triangle roll or something? Not so sure, but it made me not want to eat sushi. Weird experience overall. I don't know that it could have been much weirder given the goofy Texas bar location with super cheap lighting effects.

Then the 'bit' came about welcoming Jordan Burroughs to this circus?  Nah. That announcer was high AF.

5 hours ago, manyak said:

Why is everyone so butt hurt? Of course Bo wasn't going to win. There is no conspiracy.

Because people are stupid and have no idea about submission grappling since they've never done it.

Plus, they thought Bo would actually win in this kind of match since he's a 3x NCAA Champion and a U23 "World Champion"...LMAO.  Even stupider.

3 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Because people are stupid and have no idea about submission grappling since they've never done it.

Plus, they thought Bo would actually win in this kind of match since he's a 3x NCAA Champion and a U23 "World Champion"...LMAO.  Even stupider.

Cox or Snyder would have easily won.   Bo just needs a bit more freestyle experience before he can destroy anybody in BJJ.  Like all BJJ athletes, Bo has zero experience competing in the olympics-something that would make Cox or Snyder easily beat anyone in BJJ. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

2 hours ago, grappler111 said:

2-2 until 2 minutes at the end vs the best submission grappler in the world. And this is the proof about the ineffectiveness of bjj without wrestling.

Any "grappling" incorporates some kind wrestling.

It was a modified submission grappling match, not a BJJ match.

If it were a straight BJJ match OR a submission grappling match with leglocks/ankle locks allowed, then Bo would have been submitted within the first few minutes.

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Cox or Snyder would have easily won.   Bo just needs a bit more freestyle experience before he can destroy anybody in BJJ.  Like all BJJ athletes, Bo has zero experience competing in the olympics-something that would make Cox or Snyder easily beat anyone in BJJ. 

How does freestyle experience equate to being good at BJJ?  They competed in a modified rules submission grappling match with half of the submissions not allowed.  A straight BJJ or sport BJJ match is completely different.  That's like having both of them compete in a folkstyle match with no leg takedowns allowed.

How does freestyle experience equate to being good at BJJ?  They competed in a modified rules submission grappling match with half of the submissions not allowed.  A straight BJJ or sport BJJ match is completely different.  That's like having both of them compete in a folkstyle match with no leg takedowns allowed.

I'am agree about the highest wrestling level/knowledge of Snyder or Cox but in this Grappling format you are forced by ruleset and referee to fight on the ground after a takedown so the bjj guy has a big advantage.

I do not like this Grappling format because if you are unable to talking down you must lose.

Infact wrestling is better than bjj in mma.

45 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

Another example with United World Wrestling grappling rules. In the second match the wrestler was forced to fight on the ground but the bjj guy was unable to take the wrestler down!

53 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

I'am agree about the highest wrestling level/knowledge of Snyder or Cox but in this Grappling format you are forced by ruleset and referee to fight on the ground after a takedown so the bjj guy has a big advantage.

I do not like this Grappling format because if you are unable to talking down you must lose.

Infact wrestling is better than bjj in mma.

That's because it's not a wrestling match or an MMA match.  It's called a submission grappling match for a reason.

Only ignorant people would think Bo would have won even though any leg submissions weren't allowed.  If Bo were training submission grappling full time for years instead of wrestling then he might have had a shot, but the wrestling crowd has no idea how good you have to be to win the ADCC World Championships.

That's like submission grappling fans disregarding Bo's wrestling accomplishments and thinking Gordon would beat Bo in folk or free.  Just not going to happen.

7 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Did he tap? What ended it?

7 hours ago, Mokoma said:

I watched the match?  There was no choke?  Why did Gordon win?  I’m totally lost.

Where did he tap?  Totally missed that.  Looked to me like he slammed him down and was about to get out.

If Bo did tap, congrats to Ryan.  

If Bo didn’t tap and they stopped just because Ryan got a triangle in then that’s ridiculous.  

Either way it’s a totally boring sport.  

Here's the tap

Edited by kney
Forgot a quote

20 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

That's because it's not a wrestling match or an MMA match.  It's called a submission grappling match for a reason.

Only ignorant people would think Bo would have won even though any leg submissions weren't allowed.  If Bo were training submission grappling full time for years instead of wrestling then he might have had a shot, but the wrestling crowd has no idea how good you have to be to win the ADCC World Championships.

That's like submission grappling fans disregarding Bo's wrestling accomplishments and thinking Gordon would beat Bo in folk or free.  Just not going to happen.

That’s what I thought too until I saw a local guy around my parts Nick Rodriguez nearly win the ADCC with only a year of training. Please explain. 

2 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

That’s what I thought too until I saw a local guy around my parts Nick Rodriguez nearly win the ADCC with only a year of training. Please explain. 

Bo could probably medal at ADCC training 4 hours a day for a year too

10 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He tapped, which is why he slammed the mat with his fist out of frustration instead of complaining to the ref. Our guy lost fair and square. But what did we expect? He was going against the Sadulaev of grappling in a mostly BJJ match while giving up 25 lbs. i thought he represented himself well. 

I thought Bo represented well also.  His suplex was fun... His ability to handfight kept it competitive.  In this form of grappling though...  As soon as Gordon grabs you and closes the distance, it's game over.  He (Gordon) is the Pinnacle of the sport, and seemed to have a good time going about it.  In a pure wrestling match, Bo will destroy him easily.  In a pure no gi ADCC or IBJJF ruleset march, Gordon wins this in the first few minutes, if not faster.  Kudos to both for putting on this show and helping make both complementary sports more accessible and exciting.  

My professor (BJJ Black Belt) at my school made a great analogy.  Think of each sports objective as "opening a door".  In wrestling, you run right through the door.  In BJJ, you walk up to the door, turn the handle, open the door, shut the door behind you, and finish the sequence by locking the door.  The analogy, in my opinion, is spot on!