treep2000

Bo Nickal vs. Gordon Ryan - Modified Grappling Rules

18 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I don’t understand Bo’s strategy in this match.  Could he have not just taken Gordon down in the last few minutes and rode him out?  Would that have been too hard?

It would have finished 2-2 right?

When he took Gordon down with the suplex and got his 2 points, he had to engage on the ground or he would be fleeing and probably concede a point to Gordon. To engage on the ground against Gordon is not easy, and he got caught pretty quickly.

18 minutes ago, Axe_Spartan said:

When he took Gordon down with the suplex and got his 2 points, he had to engage on the ground or he would be fleeing and probably concede a point to Gordon. To engage on the ground against Gordon is not easy, and he got caught pretty quickly.

That’s my question tho.  He didn’t look like he attempted to ride him after the suplex.  Why not take him down and then put him in a wrestling hold of some kind where chances of getting tapped out is slim?

8 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

That’s my question tho.  He didn’t look like he attempted to ride him after the suplex.  Why not take him down and then put him in a wrestling hold of some kind where chances of getting tapped out is slim?

His chances of getting tapped out were almost certain.

52 minutes ago, Axe_Spartan said:

I don't think it is easy to lock up a cradle or something when the guy is not afraid of being on his back.

He straight up gave up his back.  Would it be that hard from that point?  

With hell hooks allowed the story is the same without forced ground fighting. If a bjj guy is unable to taking down the wrestler. I have posted a good example in this thread. The wrestler was submitted because he was forced by referee to fight on the ground!

10 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

With hell hooks allowed the story is the same without forced ground fighting. If a bjj guy is unable to taking down the wrestler. I have posted a good example in this thread. The wrestler was submitted because he was forced by referee to fight on the ground!

No, you don't have to hit a "ordinary" takedown to go for heel hooks, Gordon proved that with 3 scissor takedowns this weekend.

For more knowledge on the subject: https://www.bjjee.com/articles/firas-zahabi-leglocks-are-the-best-anti-wrestling-technique-because-they-defuse-sprawling/

Edited by Axe_Spartan

No, you don't have to hit a "ordinary" takedown to go for heel hooks, Gordon proved that with 3 scissor takedowns this weekend. For more knowledge on the subject: https://www.bjjee.com/articles/firas-zahabi-leglocks-are-the-best-anti-wrestling-technique-because-they-defuse-sprawling/

Different ruleset different strategy so you are prepared for different attacks.In the last match there are not leg locks so this kind of takedown is not dangerous.

Bo needs more Freestyle training. Scissor takedowns are allowed in freestyle ruleset. Is scissor tkd banned in folkstyle?

Ryan said in the post fight interview he would be interesting in a more wrestling rule set match with Bo.  He’s not sure he would win, but feels he could be competitive with a full camp.  He also said PD3 challenged him to a match. Which he thinks he could win.  The talk right now is a 3 round super-fight with a new rule set for each round.   

Ryan said in the post fight interview he would be interesting in a more wrestling rule set match with Bo.  He’s not sure he would win, but feels he could be competitive with a full camp.  He also said PD3 challenged him to a match. Which he thinks he could win.  The talk right now is a 3 round super-fight with a new rule set for each round.   
Ok this time with weight in and anti doping? Ryan is heavier than Bo.

31 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

Different ruleset different strategy so you are prepared for different attacks.In the last match there are not leg locks so this kind of takedown is not dangerous.

Bo needs more Freestyle training. Scissor takedowns are allowed in freestyle ruleset. Is scissor tkd banned in folkstyle?

Again, read the articled and watch the video, you don't need to takedown a wrestler to go for leg locks/heel hooks.

22 minutes ago, grappler111 said:
31 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Ok this time with weight in and anti doping? Ryan is heavier than Bo.

???

We all knew well before this match happened that Bo was smaller and Ryan "dopes."

14 minutes ago, grappler111 said:

You write scissor takedown!!

This strategy is common in catch wrestling.

Yes, it was an example of a "non-ordinary" takedown going for heel hooks, and below I posted an article and video showing you don't even need to takedown the wrestler to go for leg locks and heel hooks.

54 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

What would be the 3rd?  boxing?

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

I would take Downey, and easily in a wrestling rule set.  Against Bo, it wouldn't even be fair.  Can Ryan even beat Nick Rodriguez in wrestling?  We saw Nick against Pat and it wasn't pretty.

5 hours ago, Axe_Spartan said:

That looked like 2 different sequences to me.   Bo did the suplex and then let him go.  Then Ryan started crabwalking around the floor and I guess the ref made Bo engage with him on the mat, and then they went of bounds for a restart 

Edited by 1032004