Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in Virginia Tech History

19WRCORNELL_0011.jpg

The Hokies are fresh off an upset over top-five Ohio State. Let's take a look at the best wrestlers in Virginia Tech history ranked by NCAA medals.

Here are the top five!

Rank - Wrestler - Team - Score - Finishes

#1 - Devin Carter - 29 - 5,2,3
#2 - Jared Haught - 27 - 6,4,2
#3 - Nick Brascetta - 22 - 8,4,3
#3 - Ty Walz - 22 - 7,4,4
#5 - David McFadden - 20 - 6,5,5

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Virginia%20Tech

Check out the full list in this Rokfin exclusive!

https://rokfin.com/ranking/69

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

It’s crazy that Mehki Lewis could almost make the list already. He’s a special talent. 

On second thought I think if you’re going by points Mekhi would already be there. I think he scored at least 22 points in the 2019 NCAA tournament. 

Edited by goheels1812

13 hours ago, jerseywrestling said:

Rank - Wrestler - Team - Score - Finishes

#1 - Devin Carter - 29 - 5,2,3
#2 - Jared Haught - 27 - 6,4,2
#3 - Nick Brascetta - 22 - 8,4,3
#3 - Ty Walz - 22 - 7,4,4
#5 - David McFadden - 20 - 6,5,5

Solid list. Interesting that they come from all over. Carter is from VA, Haugh is WV, Brascetta and Walz are OH, and McFadden is NJ. 

VT wrestling really turned a corner when they started recruiting OH, NJ, and PA heavily....shocking. 

39 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

Solid list. Interesting that they come from all over. Carter is from VA, Haugh is WV, Brascetta and Walz are OH, and McFadden is NJ. 

VT wrestling really turned a corner when they started recruiting OH, NJ, and PA heavily....shocking. 

they usually have a pretty good variety of states represented in line-up and ultimately with the guys who place. Think one recent year they had 5 AAs from 5 different states. This year is a little different being 6 Va kids in line-up (as of now at least). But even with that, still a little variety - 2 Ohio, 1 NJ, and 1 from Maine.  

51 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

Carter is originally from NJ he moved to go high school at Christiansburg in VA though 

12 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Carter is originally from NJ he moved to go high school at Christiansburg in VA though 

Correct. He moved down in 8th grade i believe? 

And yes they usually do a good job of getting the top 1-2 kids in state and then grabbing from others. Their last two classes which have been loaded have been this way.

2019 class-Andonian (Ohio), Brad (Ohio), Latona (Alabama), Mancini (Pennsylvania), and Wittenberg (Virginia)

2020 class-Catka (Pennsylvania), Fisher (Virginia), Greene (New Jersey), Hillegas (Pennsylvania), Ulrey (Pennsylvania), and Ventresca (New Jersey)

4 from PA, 2 from OH, NJ, VA, and AL 

1 hour ago, VAtoSC said:

Correct. He moved down in 8th grade i believe? 

And yes they usually do a good job of getting the top 1-2 kids in state and then grabbing from others. Their last two classes which have been loaded have been this way.

2019 class-Andonian (Ohio), Brad (Ohio), Latona (Alabama), Mancini (Pennsylvania), and Wittenberg (Virginia)

2020 class-Catka (Pennsylvania), Fisher (Virginia), Greene (New Jersey), Hillegas (Pennsylvania), Ulrey (Pennsylvania), and Ventresca (New Jersey)

4 from PA, 2 from OH, NJ, VA, and AL 

I think it was right after 8th grade because he had an older brother that wrestled in NJ for Pope John for at least 2 years before he left 

yea it’s pretty impressive how spread out V techs recruiting has been and it seems like they never missed a beat when Dresser left, and now with a national champ on the roster for the next 4 years I think they are only going to get better 

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think it was right after 8th grade because he had an older brother that wrestled in NJ for Pope John for at least 2 years before he left 

yea it’s pretty impressive how spread out V techs recruiting has been and it seems like they never missed a beat when Dresser left, and now with a national champ on the roster for the next 4 years I think they are only going to get better 

and remember we have to refer to him as Dr. Carter now. 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I remember seeing that when he called one of there matches last year for the ACC network..Does he coach at all?

Helps run a Top of the Podium team up in Northern Virginia. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyThompsonnum1 said:

I didn't not realize that McFadden had the opportunity to become V.T.'s first four time All American.  I was thinking they had accomplished that feat in the past.  

They’ve definitely had some tough guys place as freshmen where it looked pretty good for a 4 timer career - Dance, Epperly, Chiscko come to mind but for various reasons didn’t happen - really hoping McFadden gets it done.