cangemi

Changing college to freestyle

I completely disagree.

We are fortunate as fans to have best of both worlds.  Top wrestling and pins are what makes thinks great. Bo nickal elevating Martin and bringing house down.

The argument you can't get better in freestyle and Greco. Probably somewhat true. But we have made great strides  with training centers, time square matches. Keep working on financial sponsorship after college and traing centers is more the answer. 

You can do both.

Greatest highlights would not have happened

Bubba pinning Taylor

Churella no call

Rob Rohn cement mixer

( That's the most exciting stuff)

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

Not a good idea. Establishing control rather than just rolling an opponent over is the meat of Folkstyle.

Watching a leg lace roll a guy over two or three times without going for control and a pin is a joke. Yes, it takes talent to do it but does not encourage pins at all.

If Folkstyle has a problem it is in refs not pushing kids on top to work for a pin and letting them ride out an opponent. The failure to call Stalling happens way too often.

Not a good idea. Establishing control rather than just rolling an opponent over is the meat of Folkstyle.
Watching a leg lace roll a guy over two or three times without going for control and a pin is a joke. Yes, it takes talent to do it but does not encourage pins at all.
If Folkstyle has a problem it is in refs not pushing kids on top to work for a pin and letting them ride out an opponent. The failure to call Stalling happens way too often.
For whatever reason people love pointing to terrible wrestlers getting laced without resistance, as if watching a bar-arm tilt happen 4x in a row is just the most exciting thing ever. It literally feels like they've watched one Freestyle match ever and that is what happened.
Eh well.

Freestyle is horrible. Lets run away more fans by showing them matches that are unexplainable.

Putting wrestler A on the shot clock then well we have to put wrestler B on the shot clock next. No

reason just have to even it out! Wrestler B wins the match 3 to 3 over wrestler A which is a complete joke.

These type of things have caused Olympic wrestling to be totally ignored by the general public.

Freestyle is horrible. Lets run away more fans by showing them matches that are unexplainable.
Putting wrestler A on the shot clock then well we have to put wrestler B on the shot clock next. No
reason just have to even it out! Wrestler B wins the match 3 to 3 over wrestler A which is a complete joke.
These type of things have caused Olympic wrestling to be totally ignored by the general public.
Freestyle is terrible, youre right cant believe we even send a team to the world level competitions, if anything we should discourage wrestling after college.

14 minutes ago, mlbruem said:

Lets run away more fans by showing them matches that are unexplainable.

It gets confusing, but I dont think the battle for riding time is drawing in boatloads of fans either. I love folkstyle, but it is far from perfect.

Edited by russelscout

13 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Riding time sucks.

11 minutes ago, jon said:

No way! I like riding time. I like freestyle matwork, too. Neither style perfect. Too bad.

I love riding time, but I spent a long time in college wrestling as an athlete and a coach. Trying to get buddies to watch who I went to high school with and didn't have the college exposure isn't alway easy. 

27 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Riding time sucks.

Not if you are the one getting the points for it. In fact, I think the guy in control should get a point for EVERY MINUTE. Only 1 point for strapping a saddle on a guy and riding him 6 minutes is bogus. 

56 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It's the other half of jiujitsu, so not really half a sport. Not too different in intent from one of the world's most popular sports, judo.

I've been thinking of taking up BJJ. Had an interesting conversation with a BJJ guy at a Jiffy Lube. Guy was wearing a BJJ shirt, was all beat up looking, and I laughed at him and said "tough sport, huh?". We had a nice chat, when he found I was an old wrestler he really pepped up and started hammering me with questions :D I was shocked at how respectful he was of wrestlers, seemed to hold wrestlers a little bit in awe (and rightfully so :D ). 

Not if you are the one getting the points for it. In fact, I think the guy in control should get a point for EVERY MINUTE. Only 1 point for strapping a saddle on a guy and riding him 6 minutes is bogus. 
Totally agree. If a guy can maintain top control for 6 minutes of the match he should get 6 points screw developing offense from all 3 positions.
I hate more than anything when a guy is rewarded for being able to get takedowns and stuff, as far as im concerned pins and top control are the only thing that gets my juices pumping.
Get a bar arm, put it on the back, and throw in legs, i get excited just thinking about it. THATS WRESTLING!!!!

Also note: that stallemate call in the rideouts vs Fix was so bogus. Nothing to do with this topic, i was just about to type "screw stalling calls" and that blasphemy came to mind

Also there should be step out points.

Also folkstyle is a hinderance

Also Fix got robbed

8 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Totally agree. If a guy can maintain top control for 6 minutes of the match he should get 6 points screw developing offense from all 3 positions.
I hate more than anything when a guy is rewarded for being able to get takedowns and stuff, as far as im concerned pins and top control are the only thing that gets my juices pumping.
Get a bar arm, put it on the back, and throw in legs, i get excited just thinking about it. THATS WRESTLING!!!!

Also note: that stallemate call in the rideouts vs Fix was so bogus. Nothing to do with this topic, i was just about to type "screw stalling calls" and that blasphemy came to mind

Also there should be step out points.

Also folkstyle is a hinderance

Also Fix got robbed

Who said anything about not working for points? You can ride a guy WHILE working for turns, you realize.... You want to talk stalling, let's talk FREESTYLE...

Btw: Fix robbed himself by not trying to do anything in that match. 

Edited by TobusRex

Who said anything about not working for points? You can ride a guy WHILE working for turns, you realize.... You want to talk stalling, let's talk FREESTYLE...
You "can " try to score points, not all "do" and from a fan perspective it slows action to reward holding top position.
We need to start em back on their feet

8 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

You "can " try to score points, not all "do" and from a fan perspective it slows action to reward holding top position.
We need to start em back on their feet

And that's why we have "stalling" penalties. You don't think guys are working enough from the top, bitch at the referee and not me. As for freestyle..now THAT is a staller's paradise. I can barely stand to watch Worlds or the Olympics anymore thanks to all the 1-0 stallfests at the highest level. 

Edited by TobusRex

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Why don't you share yours? Teach us sensei! 

Not really a point, no one on this board changes their opinions anyways. I'd rather not argue with someone that honestly thinks that mat wrestling is the best part of the sport.

1 minute ago, LHU125 said:

Not really a point, no one on this board changes their opinions anyways. I'd rather not argue with someone that honestly thinks that mat wrestling is the best part of the sport.

LOL...yeah, because to you the best part is the takedown, not the pin. Halfway there is good enough for some folks, though. 

10 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

So you just dropped in to tell everyone they are stupid and now you're dipping out? C ya later.

7 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

And that's why we have "stalling" penalties. You don't think guys are working enough from the top, bitch at the referee and not me. As for freestyle..now THAT is a staller's paradise. I can barely stand to watch Worlds or the Olympics anymore thanks to all the 1-0 stallfests at the highest level. Pathetic. 

I'd encourage you to back up that statement by finding all the 1-0 matches from World Championships in 2019, specifically in freestyle (men's and women's). Greco is a different animal.

Actually, I just quickly broke it out and saw there were 1,006 matches with results from Kazakhstan. Of those, 144 were decisions that lacked points (VPO, aka shutouts).

How many 1-0 matches were there at the World Championships? I know the answer. I want to know how many 1-0 stallfests you saw at this past Worlds to justify that position.