Sign in to follow this  
okwrestle

Ok State vs Minny sunday 11/24

5 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'm so sick of Joe Smith. What a lazy ass. 

Every coach has run into this situation: Kid is burnt, but he's better than everyone else around his weight. You think about begging him to stick around. He sticks around, and the whole team is worse off for it. 

Just now, jackwebster said:

Every coach has run into this situation: Kid is burnt, but he's better than everyone else around his weight. You think about begging him to stick around. He sticks around, and the whole team is worse off for it. 

He's talented, and everybody knows it. I don't like how, as you say, the team is worse off in keeping him around. Last year benching Chandler Rogers in his final go-round in favor of Joe was unbelievable to me. Yeah, Joe won the wrestleoff, but Chandler knew the guys at that weight, how to wrestle them, and had a good enough record to get a good seed at NCAAs. That's one of the few times I'd have said "sorry, you won the wrestle off but I have to go with this other guy who has a proven record of success at this weight". That cost OSU some points.  If Joe had managed to control his weight I think he'd have been a sure fire finalist this year at 157 pounds. Hell, maybe he'll win it all at 174 pounds, but I don't have that much confidence in him at this point.

LOL..just looked at the OK State wrestling site and they still have Joe listed as 157 pounds :D 

13 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

LOL..just looked at the OK State wrestling site and they still have Joe listed as 157 pounds :D 

He is listed 174 on the roster page, an obvious mistake of 157 on his bio page.  He was a growing kid and never going to make 157 after his So year.  Heck look at Dake, kid couldn't even hold weight two years in a row :0

Edited by ionel

Btw I feel  a little ashamed of myself for speaking ill of someone I have never met. As a wise man once said, "It's obvious you hate me though I've done nothing wrong.  I've never even met you so what could I have done?"

8 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

He's talented, and everybody knows it. I don't like how, as you say, the team is worse off in keeping him around. Last year benching Chandler Rogers in his final go-round in favor of Joe was unbelievable to me. Yeah, Joe won the wrestleoff, but Chandler knew the guys at that weight, how to wrestle them, and had a good enough record to get a good seed at NCAAs. That's one of the few times I'd have said "sorry, you won the wrestle off but I have to go with this other guy who has a proven record of success at this weight". That cost OSU some points.  If Joe had managed to control his weight I think he'd have been a sure fire finalist this year at 157 pounds. Hell, maybe he'll win it all at 174 pounds, but I don't have that much confidence in him at this point.

That whole going with Joe Smith in the 11th hour over chandler Rodgers never quite sat right with me. Like you said I get he won the wrestle off, but man chandler Rodgers put in his time as a poke and didn’t deserve to go out like he did. That whole deal really put a sour taste in my mouth. 

10 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Really?  I'm amazed he would step on an official scale that heavy when he wasn't wrestling in the match.  Can someone confirm this?

By weighing in at 185 he could've filled in for either Montalvo or Geer if needed.  Don't know for sure but beating he weighed in 184 on Fri night for same reason.

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

He is listed 174 on the roster page, an obvious mistake of 157 on his bio page.  He was a growing kid and never going to make 157 after his So year.  Heck look at Dake, kid not couldn't even hold weight two years in a row :0

Well if he's still growing, that's another thing. But Joe doesn't look any taller now than he did as a FR to my eyeballs. 

15 minutes ago, ionel said:

By weighing in at 185 he could've filled in for either Montalvo or Geer if needed.  Don't know for sure but beating he weighed in 184 on Fri night for same reason.

He didn’t weigh in for Drexel but he weighed in with the pound allowance for Lehigh but John smith had already said he wasn’t wrestling last weekend because of academics..I’m pretty sure it was his first official weigh in of the year 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He didn’t weigh in for Drexel but he weighed in with the pound allowance for Lehigh but John smith had already said he wasn’t wrestling last weekend because of academics..I’m pretty sure it was his first official weigh in of the year 

And he was 185?  What's the point of putting a weigh in on paper if you aren't competing?

5 minutes ago, boconnell said:

And he was 185?  What's the point of putting a weigh in on paper if you aren't competing?

Probably needed an official weigh in to start his descent program...for all we know he could’ve been 190 at the hydration test and hitting 185 is part of the process

The reason people are "disgusted" is they, OSU have a perfect setup with Geer @ 97, Montalvo @ 84, Smith @ 74 and Wittlake @ 65. Now having him maybe at 185 means Montalvo may have to cut. Or are they going to wait and have him qualify for NCAA's at the Big12? Just very head scratching and that is not even including the Rogers incident last year. And if Smith is going down to 174 it made no sense to weigh in. He could have waited two weeks and weighed in at a lot less and been able to wrestle a lot sooner.

Edited by ConnorsDad
Add