Antitroll2828

Intermat/foley

16 hours ago, dmm53 said:

How about all the times when reactionaries like Askren, Saylor, Schultz and so many other right wing (anti-vaxxers and religious nuts) would add their ignorant and often racist two cents to the dialogue?  The wrestling community is so extremely right wing and authoritarian it ignores its own biases.  It so bloody rural and religious and conservative it can't see it's own blindnesses.    It is uncritical and accepting of ignorant and dangerous fools like Jordan and Hastert and so many others.  Foley is so much smarter and more educated than the majority of the parochial wrestling community.  

And this is why the divide exists.  

One side thinks the other is racist, bigoted, <insert whatever vitriol>, while the other believes exactly the same in reverse.  

I no longer consider anyone who "goes there" with their commentary as legitimate, regardless of your affiliation or level of celebrity. 

Ugh...

14 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Foley got hated on not BECAUSE of his views but because he shoves his views down people’s throats In a wrestling blog and puffed out and pounded his chest when people would ask strictly for wrestling , and he views everyone who doesn’t agree with him as wrong, 

the only time anyone says "stick to ..." it's because they disagree with the political view being expressed

3 hours ago, ugarte said:

the only time anyone says "stick to ..." it's because they disagree with the political view being expressed

I only come to these boards for wrestling related discussion. I haven't voted in 30 years because  it really is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. So, if I say "stick to", it's because I could not possibly care less about anyone's political drivel.

6 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

I only come to these boards for wrestling related discussion. I haven't voted in 30 years because  it really is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. So, if I say "stick to", it's because I could not possibly care less about anyone's political drivel.

Voting in local elections can help make a difference. Often you at least know or can actually talk with those who run for office.

As far as the Friday column now being viewable only if you pay. Some will, some won't. I don't agree with the guys views at times and do wish he would stick more to wrestling with longer posts, but it is what it is. Frees up a few minutes on Friday I can use for something else.

Intermat writers in general are standing on the boarding platform while the train passed years ago.  They used to have well written articles particularly around the NCAA's on darkhorse type guys and pretty well thought out predictions.  They have been poor recently with the SESKER thing last year crying about Flo headlining their ineptitude.  I do like their rankings because of ease of view and links to trackwrestling because I'm a junky who likes to gamble on the sport.  Their HS rankings and articles are ok as well.  Foley has lost the plot for me.  I have access to the service and will continue to read him because I don't mind opinions different than my own.  

In my opinion, Foley crossed the line (which he’s been teetering on for the last year or so) when he wrote what he wrote two weeks ago and I honestly believe those above him decided where he is at today – behind a wall where he belongs. The guy truly went overboard about the president and Jim Jordan and I for one am sick of it.  Intermat is a pretty reliable source for rankings and such but they steal their own thunder when they give a guy like this a front page platform which typically turns off half the viewing audience.  Ever read some of the comments after he goes off script? The goal is to grow the site via subscriptions, is it not? Then why go where most businesses choose not to go. It’s like being in a waiting room in a reputable car dealership waiting for your car to be serviced only to be subjected to a big screen TV pumping out a news network you do not agree with. Whether that dealership realizes it or not, they are alienating half of their customers and people like me will let them know it by buying my next vehicle elsewhere. That’s how much politics has divided us nowadays and it cannot be disputed. Conversely, places like doctors’ offices and hospitals (I know firsthand because I’m responsible for my Mother) choose TV stations like HGTV or a science show for their waiting rooms which is a neutral option for their customers and smart for business in general. 

Even on this site, notice how often threads involving politics are closed due to how heated it gets at times. I know because I participate in some of these threads and am guilty of allowing my feelings to get the best of me too.

In my opinion, the goal here should be to come up with ways to grow participation by converting the 1000’s of in and out views into replies. There are a lot of wrestling fans throughout the country who visit this site but do not share their experience and knowledge.  Maybe there is something they have to offer that we can all learn from.

Keep the politics and religion out and I’m sure we will see more participation at themat.com.

That’s my two cents for the day.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

14 hours ago, ugarte said:

Effectively the same thing as when one side quickly resorts to calling the other side racists, bigots and Nazis. 

On 11/23/2019 at 3:52 AM, dmm53 said:

How about all the times when reactionaries like Askren, Saylor, Schultz and so many other right wing (anti-vaxxers and religious nuts) would add their ignorant and often racist two cents to the dialogue?  The wrestling community is so extremely right wing and authoritarian it ignores its own biases.  It so bloody rural and religious and conservative it can't see it's own blindnesses.    It is uncritical and accepting of ignorant and dangerous fools like Jordan and Hastert and so many others.  Foley is so much smarter and more educated than the majority of the parochial wrestling community.  

So to be clear - Askren Saylor, Schultz are racists?  This is your position?   Based on any facts,observations, or simply convenient slander?  

What makes a person a religious "nut"?  Belief in any deity?  Belief in a deity to which you do not subscribe? Some other quality, e.g. opposition to abortion? 

Authoritarian?  Meaning what?  Don't conflate people pursuing self-reliance and adherence to civil tenets (Conservatism) with wanting the government to dictate all facets of our lives - That is the progressive" view.   

Implicit bias is limited to our community or is that a generally accepted universal human condition?     

Hastert??  Is there a single person on this board or community at large accepting of him?  That is just a mud-slinging Hail Mary (please excuse and avoid being triggered by the religious reference) to help you feel you are on solid ground - which you are not. 

Foley is probably smarter and more than the majority of all groups - I assume that since he went to UVA and Columbia.    Lots of smart people walking around.  Smart in an ignorant direction just takes you to the wrong place more efficiently.   Are you positing that Wrestling fans are particularly ignorant?  Perhaps you are suggesting that you and Foley are the enlightened ones and we should follow your light down the path of righteousness?  Or is this just a vehicle to express your delusion of superiority? 

Might I suggest less misdirected pathos; more ethos / logos in your argument.   You'll likely come to a more enlightened conclusion, or at least an argument ( I hesitate to call it that) which is less replete with logical fallacy.     

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

TFB,

You disagree with these?

"...right wing and authoritarian..."

"...rural and religious and conservative..."

""Extremely right-wing" as a broad brush - absolutely.  Most wrestlers I know are libertarian in nature.  They have harnessed their own personal fortitude, taken on a substantial challenge in wrestling, and developed self-reliance.  If anything I view the big-government / Big-brother movement as Authoritarian.   

Rural - Hard to say harder yet to view as a pejorative.  My own frame of reference is anything but rural.  The older I get the more rural appeals.   Makes it easier to crank the NNM Blues to obscene levels and hear every note from JG and Wolf.  

Religious - Not sure how any of that plays other than as a swipe at peoples beliefs.  Why would anyone care and why would it be deemed a negative?   The primary issue is with the NUTS reference.

Racist, supporters of Denny Hastert, reactionaries, anti-vaxxers, religious nuts, ignorant, extremely right wing, authoritarian, bloody rural, blind, uncritical, accepting, dangerous, less-educated  - I reject every one of those adjectives; none of that has ever been my experience.  I view wrestlers and wrestling fans as > the population at large.   Exceptions apply of course (see Foley and DMM53). 

I'm sorry to see it go behind the paywall. I haven't decided yet if I'm willing to pay for any of the content on Intermat. 

I think Foley is a useful troll. I doubt he identifies as such, but he obviously enjoys challenging the right-wing biases, which I think are the majority in our community. I enjoyed reading how excited people would get when their idea was challenged - it tended to escalate quickly, but that's the effect of anonymity and an internet problem in general. I don't think we'll see that scrum in the comments after Mailbag anymore - just more preaching to the choir. 

Also, I think we should expect to see politics in sport. Sport is part of American culture, and so is politics. I love that sport brings people together who wouldn't usually congregate. So what if we don't agree - being disagreeable is innately American. Nobody is being forced to listen to anybody's idea - we have lots of ways to ignore things we don't want to hear, so I don't understand the argument that he was cramming any idea down someone's throat. Ideas are meant to be challenged. Arguments are lost everyday and for good reason. 

All that said, wtf is jacket-wearing? Contextually, I gather that it's uncivilized to not wear a jacket..? If so, I don't like the metaphor - it takes a lot more than a suit to have a good idea. 

4 hours ago, TFBJR said:

""Extremely right-wing" as a broad brush - absolutely.  Most wrestlers I know are libertarian in nature.  They have harnessed their own personal fortitude, taken on a substantial challenge in wrestling, and developed self-reliance.  If anything I view the big-government / Big-brother movement as Authoritarian.   

Rural - Hard to say harder yet to view as a pejorative.  My own frame of reference is anything but rural.  The older I get the more rural appeals.   Makes it easier to crank the NNM Blues to obscene levels and hear every note from JG and Wolf.....

"God damned hippies." 

[IMG]

I just don’t like foley because he is a hypocrite.  He called Tim Kennedy a “teary eyed whiner” for his post match comments back in 2014.    http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/13517 

You don’t call someone a whiner when you exploited a rule to get your opponent disqualified in the blood round.  Foley must have gotten so much heat for his match with Dustin Kawa that he needed to address that in an intermat article. He basically talked about how he deserved it based on the rules and is in no way a spineless wuss.  

Edited by Cptafw164

11 hours ago, silvermedal said:

After a couple slip ups, Foley was careful not to bring up politics.  However, certain crazies attacked him at every opportunity in the comments thus making it appear as if he was being political when in fact they were.  

Did you read his piece two weeks ago? 

definitely not worth paying to read the column.  5 minutes of politics and international wrestling only once a week.  i only go for the comments section

maybe intermat wanted to gauge how many people would read his column if it wasnt free. 

18 hours ago, silvermedal said:

After a couple slip ups, Foley was careful not to bring up politics.  However, certain crazies attacked him at every opportunity in the comments thus making it appear as if he was being political when in fact they were.  

Foley's seminal posting was probably this one back in 2018:   https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20307

The guy who made the initial posting (Mustang98) was wrong, but Foley then used it as an opportunity to go on rant about gender rights, 'enforced celibacy,' and Jordan Peterson (what in the world does he have to do with wrestling?).  

The guy is entitled to his opinion, and I'm fine with that.  But this is a WRESTLING column.  If Foley keeps using it as a means to disseminate his politics, there's certainly no way I'm going to continue my Intermat subscription.