Antitroll2828

Intermat/foley

On 11/23/2019 at 6:35 PM, ugarte said:

the only time anyone says "stick to ..." it's because they disagree with the political view being expressed

WRONG! I'll get in a political debate with anybody in the appropriate forum. But I don't want to hear LeBron James, TR Foley, Trump, Clinton, Ha Ha Clinton Dix or anybody else tell me what my political views should be when I'm trying to enjoy sports. And I don't want to hear Ben Shapiro tell me about the Big Ten Conference tournament.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, TFBJR said:

So to be clear - Askren Saylor, Schultz are racists?  This is your position?   Based on any facts,observations, or simply convenient slander?  

What makes a person a religious "nut"?  Belief in any deity?  Belief in a deity to which you do not subscribe? Some other quality, e.g. opposition to abortion? 

Authoritarian?  Meaning what?  Don't conflate people pursuing self-reliance and adherence to civil tenets (Conservatism) with wanting the government to dictate all facets of our lives - That is the progressive" view.   

Implicit bias is limited to our community or is that a generally accepted universal human condition?     

Hastert??  Is there a single person on this board or community at large accepting of him?  That is just a mud-slinging Hail Mary (please excuse and avoid being triggered by the religious reference) to help you feel you are on solid ground - which you are not. 

Foley is probably smarter and more than the majority of all groups - I assume that since he went to UVA and Columbia.    Lots of smart people walking around.  Smart in an ignorant direction just takes you to the wrong place more efficiently.   Are you positing that Wrestling fans are particularly ignorant?  Perhaps you are suggesting that you and Foley are the enlightened ones and we should follow your light down the path of righteousness?  Or is this just a vehicle to express your delusion of superiority? 

Might I suggest less misdirected pathos; more ethos / logos in your argument.   You'll likely come to a more enlightened conclusion, or at least an argument ( I hesitate to call it that) which is less replete with logical fallacy.     

That quote is now saved in my hall of fame. One of the five best I've ever seen on this forum.

50 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

That quote is now saved in my hall of fame. One of the five best I've ever seen on this forum.

Thanks.   Pretty much casting pearls with a little TLDR mixed in I'm afraid.  :)   This calling everyone a racist nonsense has to cease.  I sat next to Mr. Askren at Nationals this year.  He seemed like a pretty good guy.  I even stepped on his foot while he was wearing sandals with no repercussions :)  

1 hour ago, TFBJR said:

Thanks.   Pretty much casting pearls with a little TLDR mixed in I'm afraid.  :)   This calling everyone a racist nonsense has to cease.  I sat next to Mr. Askren at Nationals this year.  He seemed like a pretty good guy.  I even stepped on his foot while he was wearing sandals with no repercussions :)  

My son wrestled one of his wrestlers at Fargo and after the match introduced himself and said he was just as nice and polite as could be. Believe me if somebody's a racist the first time we hear about it won't be on a message board.

There is too much oversimplification in public discourse today. An important example is too many people being tarred as racists -- such a heavy label to be wrong about, and a tough thing (looking into someone's heart) to be sure about.  Lots of other examples on all sides of the spectrum, too.  We're losing the ability to agree to disagree, and it's lessening us.

I haven't read Foley in some time.  For a while I did every week because it was regular wrestling content, but I just lost interest.

My take on him is different than most of the comments I've seen over the years (per above, we can agree to disagree!).  Most seem to think he's a good writer who gets off track on politics.  I don't think he writes well and that the simplistic analysis that many see in his politics is a symptom of said writing skills. 

If he wrote more skillfully, it wouldn't bother me that he has strong political views, wherever they were on the spectrum.  Good ideas well expressed are always worth reading to me, but I didn't find them in the column -- wrestling, politics, or otherwise. 

On 11/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, TFBJR said:

So to be clear - Askren Saylor, Schultz are racists?  This is your position?   Based on any facts,observations, or simply convenient slander?  

What makes a person a religious "nut"?  Belief in any deity?  Belief in a deity to which you do not subscribe? Some other quality, e.g. opposition to abortion? 

Authoritarian?  Meaning what?  Don't conflate people pursuing self-reliance and adherence to civil tenets (Conservatism) with wanting the government to dictate all facets of our lives - That is the progressive" view.   

Implicit bias is limited to our community or is that a generally accepted universal human condition?     

Hastert??  Is there a single person on this board or community at large accepting of him?  That is just a mud-slinging Hail Mary (please excuse and avoid being triggered by the religious reference) to help you feel you are on solid ground - which you are not. 

Foley is probably smarter and more than the majority of all groups - I assume that since he went to UVA and Columbia.    Lots of smart people walking around.  Smart in an ignorant direction just takes you to the wrong place more efficiently.   Are you positing that Wrestling fans are particularly ignorant?  Perhaps you are suggesting that you and Foley are the enlightened ones and we should follow your light down the path of righteousness?  Or is this just a vehicle to express your delusion of superiority? 

Might I suggest less misdirected pathos; more ethos / logos in your argument.   You'll likely come to a more enlightened conclusion, or at least an argument ( I hesitate to call it that) which is less replete with logical fallacy.     

LOL.....complaining about other's comments, while happily throwing your own feces at everybody passing by

On 11/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, TexRef said:

tec87 if Foley would have left the politics out of his articles he would not have been attacked. It was nice to read when it was free, but I don't feel it is worth paying for.  

That's how it's supposed to work. He produces a product. If you like it, you buy it. If not, you don't.  That's one of the reasons I'm laughing at this whole conversation. It reminds me of the old gag: "I hate the food in this restaurant. And the portion size is too small".