Sign in to follow this  
divot_head

Lowly Big12(little5)

How's that for all you Big12 wrestling conference bashers? Let's see, what conference did this years 2 Gold and 1 bronze medalist wrestle for? How could a conference with just 5 teams gain so many qualifiers? How could a 5 team conference have more NCAA team champioships than any one conference in NCAA history? I'm glad there's just 3 teams left now, the Mega conferences will rule!!!

How's that for all you Big12 wrestling conference bashers? Let's see, what conference did this years 2 Gold and 1 bronze medalist wrestle for? How could a conference with just 5 teams gain so many qualifiers? How could a 5 team conference have more NCAA team champioships than any one conference in NCAA history? I'm glad there's just 3 teams left now, the Mega conferences will rule!!!

Umm...4 teams. Unless you don't want to count WV?

I believe only 1 freestyle wrestler on the team not from the Big XII?

55 kg - Sam Hazewinkle - Oklahoma

60 kg - Coleman Scott - Oklahoma State

66 kg - Jared Frayer - Oklahoma

74 kg - Jordan Burroughs - Nebraska

84 kg - Jake Herbert - Northwestern

96 kg - Jake Varner - Iowa State

120 kg - Tervel Dlagnev - Nebraska-Kearney (DII university)

Burroughs, Herbert, Varner, and Dlagnev do their post-collegiate training at B1G Ten Schools. Before Oklahoma, Frayer's last two stops were Iowa and Wisconsion. The Big 5(4) may have helped them get there but it appears the B1G Ten pushed them over the edge.
Keep telling yourself that:lol: :roll:

Varner has been training at Penn State since they day he graduated. He realized that he needed to follow Cael to the B1G if he wanted to have any chance of success.

Burroughs is iffy. Nebraska is now part of the B1G and when they left the Big XII but he really has hit his stride since then.

Herbert has done nearly all of his training (outside the OTC) in the B1G.

Dlagnev trains in the B1G at the Ohio RTC.

No question Coleman is Big XII through and through.

Haze is the same as Coleman.

Frayer left the Big XII in 2002 and went and coached at Harvard for a few years. After that he wound up in Iowa (which undoubtedly helped him with Metcalf) where I believe he has been quoted as saying was the practice room that really showed him he needed to take his training to the next level. After that, he was an assistant coach at Wisconsin for a few years. He returned to Oklahoma for a year before making the Olympic team.

I think its safe to say that no matter which way you slice it, the Big XII and the B1G Ten are the premier wrestling conferences to train in if you want to reach success post-collegiately. Arguments can be made for either conference but I'd rather just accept that each has unique traits that make them what they are.