moveurfeet32

Princeton beats Lehigh

17 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Well I’m not sure if they actually have a chance head to head...guess we will find out soon. Obviously the transitive property doesn’t always hold out in wrestling, but I’m enjoying seeing a little more parity so far this year

Friday Dec 6 @ GIA

On 11/24/2019 at 10:15 AM, LUEngineer said:

Humphreys dominated the entire match except for getting caught and on his back for over a minute.  Incredible strength to not get pinned and actually still have gas to finish the match.  This was a fluke and rest assured that he won't get caught by this guy again despite Monday having that lightning move.  Humphreys had over a minute and half riding time advantage and comfortably in control of the match until that lightning strike hit.  

Don't see any head throws when Monday beat Humphrey a few weeks ago in the Princeton Open. Maybe those TDs were a fluke too.

10 hours ago, WrestleDoc said:

Don't see any head throws when Monday beat Humphrey a few weeks ago in the Princeton Open. Maybe those TDs were a fluke too.

He probably self pinned against Rhamani. Ok, probably not, but this string of losses indicate far from a top 5 guy right now as Intermat had him ranked. 

No question Humphries has work to do to build his ranking back and will learn how to stop the big moves but he is fun to watch and will be a National champ before his career is over. Great to see a wrestler that makes things happen---unfortunately right now those things are happening to himself.  

8 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Don't see any natty titles in his future, though he can get back to top 5.

He was RO 12 last year, and has  three more NCAAs ahead of him; I'd say he's got some potential, but maybe wait until he gets on the podium before we get too excited.

BTW, has he taken a redshirt year yet?

Edited by red blades

27 minutes ago, red blades said:

He was RO 12 last year, and has  three more NCAAs ahead of him; I'd say he's got some potential, but maybe wait until he gets on the podium before we get too excited.

BTW, has he taken a redshirt year yet?

No redshirt yet. My statement is based on the idea that there are better wrestlers in the weight class.

>>  Looking at match-ups, Navy could beat Lehigh in a dual as well.  

.... The transitive issue doesn't work here. Oh, wait - Navy hasn't beaten anybody in quite awhile.

..... Will Princeton strategery work vs. Okla St, ya' know, where they listed starters at the first nine weights but 2 didn't wrestle at all and 2 others switched weights - and two guys wrestled down a weight for the 1st time in over two years.  They now greyshirt and ORS and opt-out a year mid-stream. Losing 2 straight to them is hardly earth-shaking. The program resembles only one other Ivy; they're certainly on the way up, a big boost to the EIWA. 

19 minutes ago, DRD5748 said:

..... Will Princeton strategery work vs. Okla St, ya' know, where they listed starters at the first nine weights but 2 didn't wrestle at all and 2 others switched weights - and two guys wrestled down a weight for the 1st time in over two years.  They now greyshirt and ORS and opt-out a year mid-stream. Losing 2 straight to them is hardly earth-shaking. The program resembles only one other Ivy; they're certainly on the way up, a big boost to the EIWA. 

I hope the other Ivies take note and follow suit. It is great that blue-collar wrestling is a focus for two of the ancient eight which have historically only prioritized more patrician sports. They just need their own well-heeled alum to donate 8+ figures, which is very possible.

Promotions ?   Number of schools E. of Columbus with crowds 9k or higher:  Penn St, a bunch; Lehigh one, 2 yrs ago vs PSU; nobody else.

Number of schools drawing  7k or more:  add Maryland, Navy (1 each) around 1970

Schools drawing 5,000 or more: I think Pitt had one -- 4-5 yrs ago, MD 1, Navy 1 (same as above, 48-50 yrs ago). 

Last time I checked, Lehigh has seven crowds above 5,000 between 1981 thru next  Friday

It's nice to give Princeton credit for what they've done well -- we're all happy to see that -- but spare me me the envy over their promotions; I think their att record is somewhere near 3k;  Lehigh's had about 300 of those, if not more. One thing we do better than most -- stick a photo on premium seats of 1 NCAA champion, then introduce them at a dual. That promotion has taken a long, long time to finish.

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It is great that blue-collar wrestling is a focus for two of the ancient eight which have historically only prioritized more patrician sports.

Did you realize that the first intercollegiate dual meet was wrestled between Columbia and Yale in February of 1904?

No. 12 Pitt 19*, No. 7 Lehigh 18
125 – Brandon Paetzell (Lehigh) Fall Louis Newell (Pitt) 4:27
133 – Micky Philippi (Pitt) dec. Nick Farro (Lehigh) 3-0
141 – Ryan Pomrinca (Lehigh) dec. Cole Matthews (Pitt) 10-8, sv
149 – Jimmy Hoffman (Lehigh) dec. Luke Kemerer (Pitt) 6-1
157 – Taleb Rahmani (Pitt) Fall Josh Humphreys (Lehigh) 5:48
165 – Jake Wentzel (Pitt) dec. Brian Meyer (Lehigh) 7-1
174 – Jordan Kutler (Lehigh) dec. Gregg Harvey (Pitt) 4-1
184 – Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt) dec. Chris Weiler (Lehigh) 8-3
197 – Jake Jakobsen (Lehigh) dec. Kellan Stout (Pitt) 4-1
285 – Demetrius Thomas (Pitt) dec. Jordan Wood (Lehigh) 10-6
Attendance – 1,489
* Pitt wins on third criteria: 39-34 edge in total match points

P.S. Looking forward to 12/6!!!

43 minutes ago, CTMopar said:

No. 12 Pitt 19*, No. 7 Lehigh 18
125 – Brandon Paetzell (Lehigh) Fall Louis Newell (Pitt) 4:27
133 – Micky Philippi (Pitt) dec. Nick Farro (Lehigh) 3-0
141 – Ryan Pomrinca (Lehigh) dec. Cole Matthews (Pitt) 10-8, sv
149 – Jimmy Hoffman (Lehigh) dec. Luke Kemerer (Pitt) 6-1
157 – Taleb Rahmani (Pitt) Fall Josh Humphreys (Lehigh) 5:48
165 – Jake Wentzel (Pitt) dec. Brian Meyer (Lehigh) 7-1
174 – Jordan Kutler (Lehigh) dec. Gregg Harvey (Pitt) 4-1
184 – Nino Bonaccorsi (Pitt) dec. Chris Weiler (Lehigh) 8-3
197 – Jake Jakobsen (Lehigh) dec. Kellan Stout (Pitt) 4-1
285 – Demetrius Thomas (Pitt) dec. Jordan Wood (Lehigh) 10-6
Attendance – 1,489
* Pitt wins on third criteria: 39-34 edge in total match points

P.S. Looking forward to 12/6!!!

I would say that you're significantly below par.

Introducing former NCAA champs is nice but that is not promotion of the sport to kids like Princeton does with making all the wrestlers hang around at a table to sign autographs for kids after a dual meet.  That was neat and the kids loved it!!  Never seen Lehigh try to connect like that to the younger generation. 

On 11/29/2019 at 3:23 PM, DRD5748 said:

Promotions ?   Number of schools E. of Columbus with crowds 9k or higher:  Penn St, a bunch; Lehigh one, 2 yrs ago vs PSU; nobody else.

Schools drawing 5,000 or more: I think Pitt had one -- 4-5 yrs ago, MD 1, Navy 1 (same as above, 48-50 yrs ago). 

Last time I checked, Lehigh has seven crowds above 5,000 between 1981 thru next  Friday

It's nice to give Princeton credit for what they've done well -- we're all happy to see that -- but spare me me the envy over their promotions; I think their att record is somewhere near 3k;  Lehigh's had about 300 of those, if not more. One thing we do better than most -- stick a photo on premium seats of 1 NCAA champion, then introduce them at a dual. That promotion has taken a long, long time to finish.

Dont forget that Rutgers is east of C'Bus!

21 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Princeton is good at promoting. I have been to several matches at Princeton. Though there was no admission charge, I don't think the crowd was ever over 100.

Matches at Jadwin are $12.00 each this year(Iowa, Cornell, and Rutgers to come).

9 minutes ago, NJDan said:

OK, I saw Princeton v. Cornell at a small gym, not Jadwin. No admission, tiny crowds.

There was a pretty good size crowd for the Lehigh dual.  Will probably be an even better turnout to watch their team take the Ivy title from Cornell.

On 11/29/2019 at 5:23 PM, DRD5748 said:

You obviously have no idea about The State University of New Jersey..They have over 3,000 paid season tickets and have been in the 7/8 thousand range numerous time in the past and average over 5,000 for every match!