Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gobraves101905

Transfer Portal

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

New rule should be folks are free to transfer at any time, but acceptance at the new institution must be entirely independent of the athletic department.

How about this: No matter who, what, when, where, why, etc.you must sit out a year. You can use your red shirt and you can still practice but if you don't have a red shirt you lose a year of eligibility. The only exception is if the head coach leaves that I think you should be free to transfer anywhere you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

New rule should be folks are free to transfer at any time, but acceptance at the new institution must be entirely independent of the athletic department.

Good luck enforcing this. It’s like need blind admission.... great in concept, impossible to execute to good effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be interesting if schools losing athletes through the transfer portal had to be compensated by the school signing the athletes in the form of scholarship? For instance, athlete "A" has three years of eligibility remaining and is signed through the portal by school "B". School "B" would lose one scholarship allowed for three years and school "A" would gain a scholarship allowed for 3 years. This or a fractional scholarship compensation would really make schools think long and hard about who they'd want to bring in, and it would help prevent programs from monopolizing all the available talent. Just a thought...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

How about this: No matter who, what, when, where, why, etc.you must sit out a year. You can use your red shirt and you can still practice but if you don't have a red shirt you lose a year of eligibility. The only exception is if the head coach leaves that I think you should be free to transfer anywhere you want.

Makes sense - IF you also apply it to any kid in any department/major in the School. Chemistry, Engineering, members of the Band and Orchestra, Computer Science.

The students in sports are still students. Students in other programs do not get penalized if they decide to switch schools. Band and Orchestra members don't have to sit out a year if they move to another school.

I agree on the Coach moving on. The athletes should be able to de-commit and move if they want, but notice needs to be given withing a specific time. Say, a one month period? Then they finish the semester/quarter in good standing before they transfer. If not in good standing, they can still transfer but the year out of competition triggers, they lose a year of eligibility.

Maybe new recruits need to list three schools in order of priority "in case" they decide to leave - when they initially commit to the school? Then be limited to any of those three if they do decide to move on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LCpl Schmuckatelli said:

Let them go to school wherever the hell they please.  Why exactly should they be penalized for going to a different school?  Because that’s not how it was in the good ol’ days?  

I agree with this - with a caveat that admission to the new school is done independently of the athletic department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Good luck enforcing this. It’s like need blind admission.... great in concept, impossible to execute to good effect. 

Not hard to enforce at all, just treated like ever other student. You can't transfer/start classes mid semester, you actually have to qualify to be admitted, if transferring from another institution must have the pre-reqs, if grad school admition must take GRE and actually qualify no DIA 'assistantships' needs to be with a graduate degree program.  As such no worries for DIA enforcement as they would have no involvement in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are not living in the real world if you think the admissions team at any major university will not care what the coach thinks about an athlete whose principal selling point as a candidate is a particular sport. There is just no way you’ll be able to take all elite athletic prospective students and assess them purely on academics and non-athletic virtues. The college admissions process doesn’t work that way. impossible to enforce, since admissions decisions are, ultimately, subjective, so nobody can ever prove a transfer gained admission purely based on non-athletic merit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You are not living in the real world if you think the admissions team at any major university will not care what the coach thinks about an athlete whose principal selling point as a candidate is a particular sport. There is just no way you’ll be able to take all elite athletic prospective students and assess them purely on academics and non-athletic virtues. The college admissions process doesn’t work that way. impossible to enforce, since admissions decisions are, ultimately, subjective, so nobody can ever prove a transfer gained admission purely based on non-athletic merit. 

You are one cynical dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You are not living in the real world if you think the admissions team at any major university will not care what the coach thinks about an athlete whose principal selling point as a candidate is a particular sport. There is just no way you’ll be able to take all elite athletic prospective students and assess them purely on academics and non-athletic virtues. The college admissions process doesn’t work that way. impossible to enforce, since admissions decisions are, ultimately, subjective, so nobody can ever prove a transfer gained admission purely based on non-athletic merit. 

Who is this magic "admission team?"  We are only talking about transfers and transfer decisions for students starts at the Department level.  Departments & Colleges have specific pre-reqs and requirements.  I know this won't happen but just saying to Plasmodium point it isn't that difficult or hard to enforce.  Simply treat like all students, no help or hindrance from DIA the student is on their own to find a university & department/major into which they may transfer.  It used to be very difficult for juco student to transfer into major universities, now there are structure pathway programs but you gotta follow the plan & meet the requirements.  Same would be true if attempting to transfer from major to major & especially problematic if currently "generally studies" etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

HokieHWT would you said same when Metcalf and rest left Tech? 

I was not in favor of them losing a year but I understand why it was done. All redshirted, all got a lot of scholarship money, all left. All were given the opportunity to wrestle for Dresser for a year then leave free and clear. VT was looking for a ROI.

Remember VT was considering dropping wrestling after Brands left. It was close but Dresser convinces them they could become winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

Let the kids transfer at will. People change jobs all the time with some having a non-compete but a lawyer can get rid of that.

Not only that, but coaches change jobs all the time and there are no repercussions.

If a student is getting money and decides to leave, I'd rather see it done before the semester break so at least part of the allocated funds could be used for other wrestlers - instead of on a redshirt that is just in the room and leaves after the school year anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ionel, no offense, really, but you do not understand how college enrollment works at major universities. The admissions department admits or denies students overall, not just incoming freshmen, and the idea that they could operate in a silo, devoid of any contact with the athletic department, for considering elite athletes is woefully naive. 

Whether you believe me or not is immaterial. The point is that removing any communication with or influence by the athletic department would literally change the admissions process for every major school in America and even if such a funny suggestion were practically possible, it would not be enforceable to any effect because there would be no way to prove that a student was admitted because of his/her athletic skill. The college admission process just does not work in a way to make that possible and never will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Makes sense - IF you also apply it to any kid in any department/major in the School. Chemistry, Engineering, members of the Band and Orchestra, Computer Science.

The students in sports are still students. Students in other programs do not get penalized if they decide to switch schools. Band and Orchestra members don't have to sit out a year if they move to another school.

I agree on the Coach moving on. The athletes should be able to de-commit and move if they want, but notice needs to be given withing a specific time. Say, a one month period? Then they finish the semester/quarter in good standing before they transfer. If not in good standing, they can still transfer but the year out of competition triggers, they lose a year of eligibility.

Maybe new recruits need to list three schools in order of priority "in case" they decide to leave - when they initially commit to the school? Then be limited to any of those three if they do decide to move on?

The problem with that is wrestling is an extra-curricular activity, chemistry is not, engagaed in competition. Band does some but nothing like sports. It will never apply to students, only athletes, nor should it IMO.

Edited by ConnorsDad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...