D3UC157

“Dark horse” champ

Just now, D3UC157 said:

If you had to pick a guy ranked outside the top 5 to take a title home this year, who would be your guy?

Jordan Wood

Almost anyone at 149

Cassar will destroy him just like he did last year.

28 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

I am going to say David Carr prior to him beating young today.  Still counts as a darkhorse for like 4 more hours but after today he will have solidified himself as a title threat.

This.

What is going to be scary for folks to comprehend is if/when Carr wins a workhorse style match with a final of about 8-3 give or take riding time in which Young never controlled a single second of the match and his only points are escapes.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:00 AM, JBluegill133 said:

I am going to say David Carr prior to him beating young today.  Still counts as a darkhorse for like 4 more hours but after today he will have solidified himself as a title threat.

This is absolutely my pick as well.  David Carr just showed that he could beat anyone at this weight, including Hidlay, given his performance against Young.  I think Carr wrestled conservatively as well.  I believe once he gets some more ranked wins and solidifies his Top Tier rankings, I could see him open up his offense and "having fun".  

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

This is absolutely my pick as well.  David Carr just showed that he could beat anyone at this weight, including Hidlay, given his performance against Young.  I think Carr wrestled conservatively as well.  I believe once he gets some more ranked wins and solidifies his Top Tier rankings, I could see him open up his offense and "having fun".  

Agreed 100%.  I don't think this was even close to the David Carr we are going to see in March.  This win and a few more are going to get that confidence through the roof.  I'm not ready to say he knocks Hidlay off yet but if this is just the beginning.....watch out.

Spending a few more minutes on this... based on Flo Rankings from 11/18:

125 - Foley.  Ranked #6.  That Top 5 is super hard to crack.  

133 - Tucker.  Ranked #6.  Similar, as there is a significant drop off after the top 10.

141 - Lots of potential dark horses here.  Tariq.  Chad Red and Gfeller all could bring some magic in March.

149 - Sasso.  Ranked #8 or Brayton Lee at #10.

157 - Carr.  Ranked #19 and just took out the #2.  Look out!

165 - Griffith currently at #8.  I predict he'll be top 4 by end of the season. 

174 - Lydy at #7 or Skatzka at #10.  Both are gamers, but do they have enough to pull off a GIANT upset against Hall?

184 - Trent Hidlay at #13.  His stock is rising like Carr's at this point.

197 - Reenan at #7 or Schultz at #8.  I could see them both giving Moore of Kollin a run for his money, given the right circumstances (or Kollin majors them).

HWT - I feel like it's Cassar/Gable and then everyone else.  But... if anyone, maybe Parris at #6.  The dropoff is startling.

My two cents FWIW...