Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

Memorable "Debuts/Statement Victories"

With Carr getting a nice win. It got me thinking of the times kids burst onto the scene as Freshman (Redshirt... I don't care) 
and that first victory where you said "Oh, this kid means business". Doesn't have to be their first match, but what is one you remember?
Mine was Schlatter over Espo 1, where you thought "I bet Schlatter can compete with him"... but it ended up being an exciting shootout that Schlatter won..... and forced everyone to take notice of course it was followed soon thereafter by Schlatter vs Espo 2, which was pretty much a crushing.... but that is one that really sticks in my mind as "Man this kid has a chance to beat anyone" 
Hoping everyone has some great ones that really left an impression... 
And go!

Edited by spladle08

Came here to post Schlatter over Espo. Left satisfied. 

That was huge at the time. Schlatter was unbelievable when healthy. So many weapons. 

Kaid Brock over Cody Brewer was also a huge one. 

Dean over Ruth. We knew Dean was good, but not THAT good. Kid flew under the radar up until that point and was a major player from then on. 

Edited by SamStall365247

6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

When Cory Clark beat Delgado at the UNI open his true freshman year. Everyone knew he was pretty good after barely losing to McD in the wrestle-off, but that solidified it.

I was never a believer until I was.... that was one guy I was very resistant to "Jumping on the bandwagon".... by the end though, injured or not, I knew he was going to get it 

1 hour ago, SamStall365247 said:

Came here to post Schlatter over Espo. Left satisfied. 

That was huge at the time. Schlatter was unbelievable when healthy. So many weapons. 

Kaid Brock over Cody Brewer was also a huge one. 

Dean over Ruth. We knew Dean was good, but not THAT good. Kid flew under the radar up until that point and was a major player from then on. 

I think pinning the NCAA champ in your first match as a freshman is about as big as it gets.

Brock Lesnar pinning Wes Hand and flexing.  I was in HS and had my teammates over to watch that dual on IPTV and we all just had our jaws on the floor seeing a guy who looked like that doing what he did.

1 hour ago, PSUSMC said:

Nolf and Nickal beating Bracetta and Epperly in the Nov 2015 Penn State/Va Tech dual.

With all due respect to Bracetta and Epperly, beating them does not necessarily make a statement.

Edited by wrestlingphish

2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

With all due respect to Bracetta and Epperly, beating them does not necessarily make a statement.

Beating two returning all Americans isn’t a statement? Believe it was PSUs first or second dual of the year...

2 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Beating two returning all Americans isn’t a statement? Believe it was PSUs first or second dual of the year...

Not compared to the names being tossed around in this thread. What were their highest placings?

FWIW, I don't put Young on that upper echelon at this point either.

6 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

John Fisher beating returning 2x champ and Olympic Silver Medalist Barry Davis. 

I had to read more on him, and that was his fondest memory as well:

Q: Out of all your wins, is there one that particularly stands out?

A: The one that really stands out was the Midlands final from my freshman year. I wrestled Barry Davis from Iowa. He was the defending national champion and had just come back from taking second at the Olympics. Prior to beating him, I had lost to him two weeks earlier. I had been doing pretty well against him in that match until the third period, and I don't think I pushed myself hard enough. I was pretty disappointed after the match, thinking that I could have beaten him if I had wrestled harder throughout the whole match and not gotten caught up with the fact that he was Barry Davis. I vowed to myself that if I ever had the opportunity to wrestle him again, I would do much better. I had that opportunity at the Midlands, and I beat him. I was proud of myself because I went out and wrestled hard for the whole match.

Just now, wrestlingphish said:

Oh Young isn't anywhere near the vibe I'm talking. I just thought "Man, for a lot of people this was a coming out victory for Carr..... what were some notable coming out victories from the past"... 
I just wanted those all time wins, that left a mark on people.  :) 

5 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Not compared to the names being tossed around in this thread. What were their highest placings?

Each took 3rd once

36 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

And do you honestly think anyone outside of the most comitted VTech/PSU fans will remember those matches?

YOU do realize the OP has this in the thread, right, "...first victory where you said "Oh, this kid means business". Doesn't have to be their first match, but what is one you remember?"

As true freshmen Nolf had a close one with JoJo Smith and posters were stating JoJo would turn out better. And Nickal was beaten at the Scuffle his RS year and there were posts about how he was over-rated, too small for the weight, etc.

Therefore...

Edited by PSUSMC