Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

Memorable "Debuts/Statement Victories"

Not quite the same as a marquee debut win, but I sort of remember Darrion Caldwell racking up a string of pins when he started, including like a school record 10 second fall or something - and maybe also the controversial spladle-pin against Metcalf? 

Shak was kind of the same way when he just sort of came out of nowhere and started cradling everyone.

I think Jordan Conaway may also have beaten Tyler Graff in his regular season debut? I don't exactly remember.

On 11/24/2019 at 7:54 PM, spladle08 said:

Awesome,  thats a "Get ready for greatness" statement right there. 

And wasn’t it also at the scuffle where Ed Ruth got his statement win as a freshman against Mack Lewness and Henrich?  I think they were ranked 1st and 2nd being the top two returning place winners and undefeated thus far that season. 

In Quentin Wright’s debut as a true freshman he defeated returning AA Alton Lucas in rec hall.  In the process of googling trying to remember who it was Wright wrested in his debut, I came across Lucas’s obituary.  He died this year aged 31.

Edited by Fishbane

17 hours ago, KTG119 said:

Schlatter did have the one loss early his freshman season but man what a season it was. Seemed like the next 4 timer in the making.   

Yeah, I thought he was going to be a 4 timer, although I hated his boring wrestling style. Too bad he caught the injury bug.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:34 AM, Fishbane said:

In Quentin Wright’s debut as a true freshman he defeated returning AA Alton Lucas in rec hall.  In the process of googling trying to remember who it was Wright wrested in his debut, I came across Lucas’s obituary.  He died this year aged 31.

Super depressing.

https://www.goodefuneralhome.com/notices/AltonDayshaun-Lucas

47 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, I thought he was going to be a 4 timer, although I hated his boring wrestling style. Too bad he caught the injury bug.

He definitely seemed to wrestle more conservatively his soph year, not sure he if he was already battling injuries by then or not, know it got bad towards the end.

1st year he seemed to open up a bit more, he was pretty slick 

On 11/25/2019 at 7:34 PM, Fishbane said:

Yeah I had no clue about this. Actually met him in Fargo. :( that's sad. Good wrestler!

5 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

He definitely seemed to wrestle more conservatively his soph year, not sure he if he was already battling injuries by then or not, know it got bad towards the end.

1st year he seemed to open up a bit more, he was pretty slick 

that first year, nobody was taking him down, and when he got on top he was a hammer. Year 2 he slowed down a bit. Was that the year Gillespie won it over Churrella ...
I just looked it up (2007) that was the year I knew Burroughs was tough. 
Schlatter (1 seed) beats him first round 3-2
He comes back and gets 2 seed Storniolo his second match of Consis, and loses in OT.... I was like how good is this kid.... 
But yeah i think the field had kind of figured him out that year (he got 3rd still with wins over O'Conner, Palmer, Burroughs, Moley, Turner) decent tourney 
Then I think Injuries got after him, and he just couldn't get back over the hump. 

We need to make a thread about wrestlers who ended their careers robbed of some glory due to injury. 
I just thought about the end of Letters. 

15 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

that first year, nobody was taking him down, and when he got on top he was a hammer. Year 2 he slowed down a bit. Was that the year Gillespie won it over Churrella ...
I just looked it up (2007) that was the year I knew Burroughs was tough. 
Schlatter (1 seed) beats him first round 3-2
He comes back and gets 2 seed Storniolo his second match of Consis, and loses in OT.... I was like how good is this kid.... 
But yeah i think the field had kind of figured him out that year (he got 3rd still with wins over O'Conner, Palmer, Burroughs, Moley, Turner) decent tourney 
Then I think Injuries got after him, and he just couldn't get back over the hump. 

We need to make a thread about wrestlers who ended their careers robbed of some glory due to injury. 
I just thought about the end of Letters. 

Letters and DS for sure. McDonough and Delgado come to mind as well. 

Back to DS and TobusRex's commentary on boring style. I looked it up-

Freshman year he was 42-1 4 pins, 14 majors, 10 techs so 28 of 42 were bonus wins, 2/3 of wins by bonus.

Soph year he was 37-1 2 pins 2 majors 9 techs so 13 of 37 closer to one of every 3 wins by bonus. pretty significant drop off. and yeah agree some of it was guys figuring him out. Gillespie wrestled a very tactical (some might have called it stalling) match to beat him.