wrestlingnerd

Nelson Brands deserves a thread

This may be a gratuitous one-post thread but Brands is the biggest surprise of the season and needs a thread. He’s up two weights from his real weight class and beating ranked dudes. Brands wrestled 163 a few months ago. Colbray was the top-ranked recruit at 195 out of HS, blue chip material. He hasn’t fulfilled expectations but had a solid season last year. I had Colbray over Brands in ink and even replayed that TD a dozen times to make sure my prediction hadn’t gotten blown up by bad reffing. 

Now that Brands is out, everyone will scout him, so things just got a lot tougher. 

Brands weighed in at 176.5 for his debut “because Tom told me to” (post-debut interview). WTF does that mean? Moving him down makes no sense for the lineup so why have a target weight at all? 

5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This may be a gratuitous one-post thread but Brands is the biggest surprise of the season and needs a thread. He’s up two weights from his real weight class and beating ranked dudes. Brands wrestled 163 a few months ago. Colbray was the top-ranked recruit at 195 out of HS, blue chip material. He hasn’t fulfilled expectations but had a solid season last year. I had Colbray over Brands in ink and even replayed that TD a dozen times to make sure my prediction hadn’t gotten blown up by bad reffing. 

Now that Brands is out, everyone will scout him, so things just got a lot tougher. 

Brands weighed in at 176.5 for his debut “because Tom told me to” (post-debut interview). WTF does that mean? Moving him down makes no sense for the lineup so why have a target weight at all? 

Their 174 is a bit injury prone. Maybe it’s an insurance policy. 

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He was (is?) keeping his weight close to 174 in case Kem gets hurt during practice.

29 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

“Fist fight tough” is a great way to describe it. Kid is good. Not a technician by any means. Usually coach’s kids turn out soft, but this ones got it. His dad has to be proud. 

From what's public, it sounds like he and his father handled his development in a really thoughtful way, with the father not being directly involved in high school and the son developing his own passion that way, then making a conscious choice he wanted to have his father as a formal coach in college when the son was at an age where he knew that that kind of intensity was what he wanted.  It's producing some fun to watch results so far.  

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

Amazing performance. He isn't very tactical, and frankly he isn't that good, he's just fist fight tough. 

Went out against a bigger guy, refused to back up, took way more shoots, and forced colbray to break for about a fifth of a second.

He has a nice single. That’s all you need!

20 minutes ago, drag it said:

From what's public, it sounds like he and his father handled his development in a really thoughtful way, with the father not being directly involved in high school and the son developing his own passion that way, then making a conscious choice he wanted to have his father as a formal coach in college when the son was at an age where he knew that that kind of intensity was what he wanted.  It's producing some fun to watch results so far.  

Excellent story.  

19 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

“Fist fight tough” is a great way to describe it. Kid is good. Not a technician by any means. Usually coach’s kids turn out soft, but this ones got it. His dad has to be proud. 

I can think of some coach's kids who turned out pretty tough.

Darren Abel.

Kip Kristoff

Peery Bros

Kyven Gadson 

David Carr

Kennedy and Quincy Monday

wow it's almost like this kid is a....Brands

http://wrestlingforgable.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=1987-11-30T13%3A08%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=1

'I typically go 50-50 with either of them for the first 20 minutes of wrestling. But they don't get tired. They will almost get your leg, and almost get your leg, and almost get your leg, and eventually they'll get your leg. Then they'll get it again. And again. And again.

It is highly annoying.'

12 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

wow it's almost like this kid is a....Brands

http://wrestlingforgable.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=1987-11-30T13%3A08%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=1

'I typically go 50-50 with either of them for the first 20 minutes of wrestling. But they don't get tired. They will almost get your leg, and almost get your leg, and almost get your leg, and eventually they'll get your leg. Then they'll get it again. And again. And again.

It is highly annoying.'

That Tarpley is one heckuvan entertaining writer.

I don't follow college wrestling all that much but I always enjoy watching Iowa, Penn St, a few other schools, and of course all the big tourneys. Without knowing anything behind the Iowa scenes, I love seeing the Brands brothers coaching Iowa. (Plus I met Tom once here in NYC and he was a really cool guy so yes, I'm a little biased.)  :D

But totally enjoyed the dual yesterday, from everything - the big intense crowd, Metcalf and St. John across the mat, all the elite wrestlers, and of course Nelson Brands. This kid is fun to watch and he was giving up weight both times, as a frosh? Also enjoyed Nelson's win at Carver-Hawkeye.