Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State should "punt" this season

And here's why:

1. They will be getting 0 to a few points from 125, 149 and possibly even 157 depending on how severe Berge's injury is.

2. While Beard would certainly be an improvement at 197 there is no guarantee he AAs...and Cael has said he wants to keep Beard, Joe Lee, Aaron Brooks and Starroci together for 4 years.

3. Shakur is a total wildcard at this point. He has underperformed at NCAAs and is coming off ACL surgery.  I could easily see him going 2-2 at NCAAs.

4. PSU lacks elite bonus point scorers this year.  Nick Lee looks like he might be their best bonuser...and he has consistently finished 5th at NCAAs.  Hall and Joseph have shown the ability to major guys, sometimes pin, but they are nowwhere near Nolf and Nickal territory.

Plus, PSU already snapped the 60 match dual win streak...they likely lose to Iowa this year too, so there's no real point in going all in on what is likely a 2 loss dual season.

Reload for next year!

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

And here's why:

1. They will be getting 0 to a few points from 125, 149 and possibly even 157 depending on how severe Berge's injury is.

2. While Beard would certainly be an improvement at 197 there is no guarantee he AAs...and Cael has said he wants to keep Beard, Joe Lee, Aaron Brooks and Starroci together for 4 years.

3. Shakur is a total wildcard at this point. He has underperformed at NCAAs and is coming off ACL surgery.  I could easily see him going 2-2 at NCAAs.

4. PSU lacks elite bonus point scorers this year.  Nick Lee looks like he might be their best bonuser...and he has consistently finished 5th at NCAAs.  Hall and Joseph have shown the ability to major guys, sometimes pin, but they are nowwhere near Nolf and Nickal territory.

Plus, PSU already snapped the 60 match dual win streak...they likely lose to Iowa this year too, so there's no real point in going all in on what is likely a 2 loss dual season.

Reload for next year!

Has Berge started breathing yet?

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Which part do you disagree with?  My points are objectively true.  And Iowa is absolutely loaded top to bottom and may have 10 AAs with 5 finalists.

For starters, your points aren't objectively true, they are opinions. Then you draw conclusions that are not particularly well thought out. I am assuming that if you actually give this some rational thought you'd begin to realize what the term "punt year" actually means. You mention numerous wrestlers, only one of which has a redshirt still available to him for this season. If that shirt stays on, that is still not a "punt year". 

A TON can happen between now and March to show most of what you wrote is ridiculously  short sighted. Then again, you were trolling here anyway, so there's that. 

4 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Even if PSU is not favored to win it all this year, why should it punt? Do they have to win every year?

They are not punting. If they have any chance to win, they go for it. Its ridiculous, not to mention defeatist, to even suggest otherwise. But he's trolling, so he does what he does. 

So are you saying that "punting" means keeping Brooks and Beard in redshirt and "going for it on 4th" is inserting Brooks and Beard into the lineup? Either way, it's a long season  filled with injuries, emerging starters, etc. and PSU always shows up at the end. Not a PSU or Iowa fan, but I am pretty sure that "punt" is not a part of Carl or Tommy's vocabulary. 

5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

So are you saying that "punting" means keeping Brooks and Beard in redshirt and "going for it on 4th" is inserting Brooks and Beard into the lineup? Either way, it's a long season  filled with injuries, emerging starters, etc. and PSU always shows up at the end. Not a PSU or Iowa fan, but I am pretty sure that "punt" is not a part of Carl or Tommy's vocabulary. 

Cael has previously punted...when he redshirted Zain and co.

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

There's really only one move for them to make and that's to pull Beard's shirt.  They just won't do it yet because of the optics.  

Could they also redshirt (ORS) Mark Hall?

The better football analogy is that Penn State kicked off, the other team scored, and Penn State is facing a 2nd and 7 play 8 minutes into the first quarter. In other words, its a long season and lot is going to happen between now and March. 

PSU should NOT punt this season.  However, I think what we're starting to see is a shift in the "power" or "strength" distribution.  

PSU loses.  tOSU loses a dual to VT.  Top rankings are no longer dominated by the tOSU/PSU lineups. 

125 - Iowa

133 - Wiscy

141 - tOSU

149 - UNC

157 - NC State OR Iowa State! hehe

165 - PSU

174 - PSU

184 - ASU

197 - tOSU

HWY - PSU

So... it's down to only half of the top ranked guys are from the PSU/tOSU combo.  Years past was even higher.  All good things must come to end.  I'm just happy that its through competition and not some forced rule/regulation/law to "redistribute" talent.  ;-)

How can you punt at this time of the year? if PSU was going to "punt" they would have used redshirts on Lee,Cenzo, RBY and Hall. There is alot of talent on this squad and plenty of potential to win a team title at NCAA. I don't see any chances of winning a B10 title.. but we have seen that play out the same way in the past.

I still think PSU can win it all come March.

In the past, Cael punted and gave tOSU their national championship because Cael did not think tOSU was going to be a long term threat to PSU.  So far, that is playing out.  Some people will disagree with me but the honeymoon has been over for a while now and tOSU will likely never threaten PSU again.

Iowa on the other hand is always a constant threat and they cannot be allowed another championship to keep them relevant and Iowa is looking good this year and next year.

If it wasn't for Iowa, then I think Cael does punt.  He loses studs at 165, 174, 184 and heavy and what....80 points?  Aside from RBY and Lee, the entire lineup is a question mark.

OSU and Cornell are also attempting a run next year as well.

46 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Iowa on the other hand is always a constant threat and they cannot be allowed another championship to keep them relevant and Iowa is looking good this year and next year.

How so?  This year maybe but always?

Edited by Scorenomore
Autospell

27 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The way their line up eligibility falls, there are no punts in PSU's foreseeable future. Next year's class will; have used both their grey shirts and redshirts, and there isn't another Olympic redshirt for 4 more years. 

Do you think Robbie Howard redshirts next year or goes 125 right away ? Because then your talking about 4 years of a lineup with Howard,Lee, Starocki, Brooks, beard and Nevills or Kerkvelet plus whoever else then fill in. Seems like penn state will be in the mix for atleast the next 5 years