Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State should "punt" this season

10 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

How so?  This year maybe but always?

In the last decade the only time Iowa was top 2 was the penn state punt year ,so I don’t think they’ve been close to a threat at all since 2010. They should be able to lock up 2nd this year but I don’t see them winning a title until next year, even though I think Cornell may end up stealing it from them 

Edited by Antitroll2828

17 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Do you think Robbie Howard redshirts next year or goes 125 right away ? Because then your talking about 4 years of a lineup with Howard,Lee, Starocki, Brooks, beard and Nevills or Kerkvelet plus whoever else then fill in. Seems like penn state will be in the mix for atleast the next 5 years 

I think if he beats Tesks he probably does start, even if winning NCAAs is a long shot. The reason is that while Iowa falls back in 2022, there is still Ohio St, Cornell and Ok St to contend with that year. The experience for Howard will matter.

Edited by TBar1977

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

The better football analogy is that Penn State kicked off, the other team scored, and Penn State is facing a 2nd and 7 play 8 minutes into the first quarter. In other words, its a long season and lot is going to happen between now and March. 

The better football analogy to this thread title is the other team kicks off, Penn State runs the ball for a 1 yard loss, and punts on 2nd and 11.

27 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Do you think Robbie Howard redshirts next year or goes 125 right away ? Because then your talking about 4 years of a lineup with Howard,Lee, Starocki, Brooks, beard and Nevills or Kerkvelet plus whoever else then fill in. Seems like penn state will be in the mix for atleast the next 5 years 

Beau Bartlett too. God forbid they land Facundo...

13 minutes ago, Idaho said:

You still didn't answer my question of what it actually means to punt. 

Me too.  Not sure who he can redshirt.  So what would “punting” entail.  Carl doing a press conference saying he is instructing his team to not take this season too seriously and have fun?  

9 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

Me too.  Not sure who he can redshirt.  So what would “punting” entail.  Carl doing a press conference saying he is instructing his team to not take this season too seriously and have fun?  

9 minutes ago, jammen said:

Penn State should "punt" this season

They already did at AZ St.

That was a fake punt. 

7 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

At this point, that would basically entail not wrestling Beard at 197, and if Rasheed can't come back healthy, not wrestling Brooks at 184.  

Anyone that's already wrestled in a PSU singlet this year can't redshirt unless we get a mid-season rule change to match football's new redshirt rules. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Which part do you disagree with?  My points are objectively true.  And Iowa is absolutely loaded top to bottom and may have 10 AAs with 5 finalists.

There is nothing "objectively true" about this statement. It is as irrelevant and inaccurate as saying "The only way Penn State beats Iowa this year is if Nolph, Nickal and Retherford return." What you are saying might be subjectively plausible, seeing that it is based on your personal bias, perspective, feeling and opinion. An objective truth is an indisputable statement of fact.  You are commenting with partiality.  An example of an "objective truth" in this realm is a statement like: Jim Jordan is a member of Congress from Ohio. It is an indisputable fact.  What you are saying is not false, in fact it's likely that Iowa could surpass PSU this year.  It's just not an objective truth.  Besides, the season is young, a lot can happen.  Maybe you are too young to remember the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates beating the New York Yankees in game 7 of the World Series, or  Larry Owings beating Dan Gable, or Clarion State Teachers College beating Iowa State in the late 1960s, or Darrion Caldwell beating Brent Metcalf or Austin DeSanto beating Spencer Lee.  There's too much fun to be had in the name of competition and all that is good in sports for PSU let alone anybody to "punt" on their chances.

Edited by The Downington Destroyer

1 hour ago, Scorenomore said:

How so?  This year maybe but always?

You obviously know little of the history of Cael at ISU and why he left Ames to State College in the first place.

Cael is playing a very long game here.  Shrewd is still the word.

He may not be the "gratest" coach in D1, but without a doubt, the smartest and most disciplined.

9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

To pass up a chance to win NCAAs one year to set up your team to win for the next 4 

and WHAT exactly does that entail "passing up a chance"? Not pulling Beard and Brooks? Not going to the portal when a 125 comes up? People seem to not be able to answer this question. 

31 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

At this point, that would basically entail not wrestling Beard at 197, and if Rasheed can't come back healthy, not wrestling Brooks at 184.  

Anyone that's already wrestled in a PSU singlet this year can't redshirt unless we get a mid-season rule change to match football's new redshirt rules. 

Bingo.... someone with a definitive answer

However the problem with punting.....is the fake punt called the portal. 

Just now, Idaho said:

and WHAT exactly does that entail "passing up a chance"? Not pulling Beard and Brooks? Not going to the portal when a 125 comes up? People seem to not be able to answer this question. 

I don’t think they should or are in the process of punting this year , and I think that’s just a ridiculous over reaction from PSU fans I was referring to when they could have won a title in 2015 but chose to redshirt 5 people and set themselves up for the past 4 years that was a true punt season 

Think of ASU with Zeke taking over.  Huge publicity and great recruiting classes.  Studs are looking at competing at a potential national championship program.

TOSU is flaming out, studs are looking at a potential not named PSU.

If Iowa wins, they are relevant again.  Ever been in Carver Hawkeye?  I've been and I've also been in Rec Hall and BJC for the biggest matches.  CHA is something to behold.

Tbar has been in neither.

Psu could easily punt still. Cassar got 2 years of eligibility back despite being a back up. So dont pull the shirts. Have berge not come back (Cael will get any medical redshirts he wants, they hand em out like candy) then maybe have a few others fake injuries, and they are good to go. Might be the smart move, because while they still are obviously contenders and possibly favorites to win, if they lost while trying, that looks so much worse then when ohio state won where everyone seems to put an asterisk next to it.