Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State should "punt" this season

7 minutes ago, unbiased said:

Why "punt" when you have three National Champs on your team? It seems counterproductive. 

Obviously the only person that might think it would be smart, is Jimmy, and I doubt he even believes that.

2 hours ago, Molsen said:

Psu could easily punt still. Cassar got 2 years of eligibility back despite being a back up. So dont pull the shirts. Have berge not come back (Cael will get any medical redshirts he wants, they hand em out like candy) then maybe have a few others fake injuries, and they are good to go. Might be the smart move, because while they still are obviously contenders and possibly favorites to win, if they lost while trying, that looks so much worse then when ohio state won where everyone seems to put an asterisk next to it.

I realize you are being ridiculous and likely even know this, but neither Cassar or Rasheed are coming back.

They can also win this year. 

Just now, TBar1977 said:

I realize you are being ridiculous and likely even know this, but neither Cassar or Rasheed are coming back.

They can also win this year. 

I was definetly being ridiculous, and know Cassar isnt planning on using both years. Psu is still the favorite in my opinion, so even if it wasnt too late to punt, it wouldnt make any sense.

So all in all, is the conclusion that Carl punting means he doesn't have a full healthy lineup and is now on more even ground with Iowa?  Seems that a full, healthy lineup for PSU still makes them the favorite by a nose....or at least that seems to be the overall impression. 

54 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

PSU isn't punting this year.

PSU over the next 3-4 years will be VERY Good also.

Howard, RBY, Bartlett, Lee, Berge, Lee, Starocci, Brooks, Beard, and Nevills

Which really means if they use Beard and Brooks this year they will have 3 more. years of them and recruit their weights when needed? So does pulling their redshirt even mean they are sacrificing the future for now? And if not, then "punting" is just a myth....

On 11/25/2019 at 10:59 AM, TBar1977 said:

They are not punting. If they have any chance to win, they go for it. Its ridiculous, not to mention defeatist, to even suggest otherwise. But he's trolling, so he does what he does. 

I actually agree with Tbar no reason to punt a season when they came into still the favorite. They lost 1 duel no reason to torch the barn in the first month.

First and Foremost all have a "Happy" Thanksgiving!!!

>>> Congrats to ASU wrestled with intensity and urgency

>>> 60 dual win strike ended

>>> Non conference dual still in the mix for B1G dual champions

>>> Plenty of options to field a tournament team that will make it "5" consecutive NCAA Championships

>>> Once we see 157 and 184 mat things will improve immediately

>>> US Open still a priority

>>> As is stands I see 4 finalist with the potential of 3 more

>>> Maybe sugar cookie is Gonzo

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

7 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

I actually agree with Tbar no reason to punt a season when they came into still the favorite. They lost 1 duel no reason to torch the barn in the first month.

The only issue i have with what tbar said is they had a shot when they punted the first time. They probably would have won it then if they went all in. But could that have hurt them in the long run? Maybe. Now they have a for sure dynasty so theres no reason not to go all in every year

PSU is all in this year - It is very early in a long season - Cael still has plenty of time to evaluate things (ie 197) and make changes if required.  There is plenty of time to let Shak & Berge recover and get into top form prior to putting them back into action. If for whatever reason it they do not recover to where they can be effective there are other possibilities (Lee?, Brooks)  

8 hours ago, Molsen said:

The only issue i have with what tbar said is they had a shot when they punted the first time. They probably would have won it then if they went all in. But could that have hurt them in the long run? Maybe. Now they have a for sure dynasty so theres no reason not to go all in every year

Could you point me to where I said that in 2015? Prior to that year I thought they had no chance and fully supported the redshirt campaign. Had fun with it to be honest. Only in hindsight did it appear they may have been able to pull it off, but that could not have been known in advance that it would only have required 105 points or there abouts.Also, if they did try to win it in 2015, then they'd have not won it in 2019. That has always been my take. 

17 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

PSU is all in this year - It is very early in a long season - Cael still has plenty of time to evaluate things (ie 197) and make changes if required.  There is plenty of time to let Shak & Berge recover and get into top form prior to putting them back into action. If for whatever reason it they do not recover to where they can be effective there are other possibilities (Lee?, Brooks)  

Brooks is currently recovering from his own injury and Lee is 165 this year so if Berge ended up not wrestling itll be the Bo Pipher show for psu 

13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Could you point me to where I said that in 2015? Prior to that year I thought they had no chance and fully supported the redshirt campaign. Had fun with it to be honest. Only in hindsight did it appear they may have been able to pull it off, but that could not have been known in advance that it would only have required 105 points or there abouts.Also, if they did try to win it in 2015, then they'd have not won it in 2019. That has always been my take. 

Adding Nico, Zain , nolf and nickel to that 2015 team probably would have gotten it done but I agree I don’t think they win last year if they went all in 2015 but I think they would still have been trophy team last year even without nickel and nolf 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:31 AM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

There's really only one move for them to make and that's to pull Beard's shirt.  They just won't do it yet because of the optics.  

There is no need to pull it this early, but I assume they are planning on pulling it in Jan or Feb if Konel doesn’t improve and/or the team race is up in the air (for example if Spencer Lee gets injured, PSU may decide to stick with Konel as the team race isn’t in question anymore) 

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Adding Nico, Zain , nolf and nickel to that 2015 team probably would have gotten it done but I agree I don’t think they win last year if they went all in 2015 but I think they would still have been trophy team last year even without nickel and nolf 

However, it's not like they wouldn't have been recruiting those weights a year earlier and had guys plugged in.  Same with pulling Brooks and Beard - when the time is right they recruit the next group of guys. It's not like Carl will forget they need guys and they won't have anyone 4-5  years from now if Brooks and Beard wrestle this year. 

6 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

What makes this year different then 2015 when saying if they have any chance of winning it they should go for it. They definitely had a shot in 2015 and probably would have been favorites, if they didnt punt. Was it the right move? Possibly, but thats one of the many reasons cael is the best coach out there. He thinks for the future. That being said, i dont think he punts again, unless he has a couple of misses on recruits, because hes been pretty damn good at recruiting.

On 11/27/2019 at 3:55 PM, Molsen said:

What makes this year different then 2015 when saying if they have any chance of winning it they should go for it. They definitely had a shot in 2015 and probably would have been favorites, if they didnt punt. Was it the right move? Possibly, but thats one of the many reasons cael is the best coach out there. He thinks for the future. That being said, i dont think he punts again, unless he has a couple of misses on recruits, because hes been pretty damn good at recruiting.

Yes, it was the right move. Only in hindsight did we see the winner emerge with a paltry 102 points. Further, had they not punted and won in 2015, then they don't have the horses to win in 2019. Pretty simple and straightforward. 

There is no valid reason to punt this year, but there was one in 2015.