I just heard a quick blurb on the news in the background that WADA is recommending a 4-year ban on Russian participation in international sports over doping shenanigans. I guess the IOC would have the final say, but how crazy would it be for Russia to be out of wrestling in Tokyo 2020?

(Unless the athletes defect and compete for another country... I have no idea how the multi-citizenship/multi-representation rules work there)

Here's the story: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/25/sports/russia-wada-olympics.html

Edited by pamela

1 hour ago, pamela said:

I just heard a quick blurb on the news in the background that WADA is recommending a 4-year ban on Russian participation in international sports over doping shenanigans. I guess the IOC would have the final say, but how crazy would it be for Russia to be out of wrestling in Tokyo 2020?

(Unless the athletes defect and compete for another country... I have no idea how the multi-citizenship/multi-representation rules work there)

Here's the story: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/25/sports/russia-wada-olympics.html

From what i gather and this is only vetted from a quick reading on NBC sports, Russian athletes may have the opportunity to compete in Tokyo under a nuetral Olympic flag, and not represent the Russian flag. If this ban is passed, Russian teams will be out of the 2024 games as well. 

Edited by Nicky_Pipes

Just now, Nicky_Pipes said:

From what i gather and this is only vetted from a quick reading on NBC sports, Russian athletes may have the opportunity to compete in Tokyo under a nuetral Olympic flag, and not represent the Russian counrty. If this ban is passed, Russia will be out of the 2024 games as well. 

Apparently, WADA is also considering a revocation of Russian membership and participation in World games & athletics. I have no idea how if or how it would translate to wrestling and Worlds. The president of the IOC has already said that he's not in favor of a total ban on Russia from the 2020 Olympics, so I think he may allow the weird neutral flag thing. The problem is that Russian athletes were permitted to compete in the Winter Olympics under a neutral flag under the condition Russia would send WADA its doping data - which WADA just discovered was tampered. It would suck to not have a full competitive slate at the Olympics, but the IOC will look like a total joke if they let this slide again.

If that was the case, Jordan Oliver would no longer be wrestling. I don't remember the details exactly, but when JO was dinged he told the USADA that it was a prescribed medication and an honest mistake, and he applied for a therapeutic use exemption for it. I remember a similar thing happening to a kid from UCLA basketball who got injured and then got suspended for taking a supplement for his recovery that was later discovered as a banned substance. Or maybe I'm being naive, I don't know!

Probably a good idea IMO. The corruption goes all the way to the top in Russia. How many wrestlers did not get to stand on the podium due to Russians cheating? I think WADA should keep a very close eye on dual citizenship Russians, as well as ones who wrestle under a neutral flag.

Wasn't there a smiliar punishment for the alst winter Olympics.  

There was no offical Russain team  and athletes did not"officially" compete for Russia (they were called Olympic Athlete representing Russia)and the Russian flag wasn't raised during medal ceremonies.

That did not seem to effect the Russians a bit.  Every Russia was able to compete and everyone knew what country they represented

15 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

This is only slightly tongue in cheek - cheating is a sport in and of itself. Doping is way over the line  but tell me you never let some of the air out of your opponents balls on a cold day and I'll call you a liar!

You never had access to your opponents balls.

43 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Wasn't there a smiliar punishment for the alst winter Olympics.  

There was no offical Russain team  and athletes did not"officially" compete for Russia (they were called Olympic Athlete representing Russia)and the Russian flag wasn't raised during medal ceremonies.

That did not seem to effect the Russians a bit.  Every Russia was able to compete and everyone knew what country they represented

See above. They were allowed to compete unattached in Sochi under the condition that RussiaADA would turn over its doping & medical data to WADA. This ban now is because the data they sent to WADA was tampered. 

I don’t disagree that Russian athletes will still be allowed to compete in the Olympics. It would confirm that the IOC is a joke though.

6 hours ago, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

big chance for snyder! 

Khuzin! What are you hearing over there about this? Also if there is a ban maybe you could come to the US and wrestle 125lbs/57kg for Penn State. They have a need and you’ve got the gear! :)

We could use a 57 and a 65 kegger.

We should get the recruiting ponies out there in full force.

I had a German exchange student once. That is close to Russia. They can use my address.

Edited by nhs67
Fat fingers...

6 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I had access to your musket ball.  That is how my buddy Aaron took care of business.

... and it actually WAS Hamilton's musketball.  Burr challenged Alex to the dual, so Alex was allowed to provide the weapons. Interestingly, he chose not to tamper with the trigger of either.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:50 AM, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

big chance for snyder! 

LOL 

Yeah, I didn’t think Snyder had a chance against Sadulaev either before Snyder switched camps.  I still don’t think he’ll win, but I hope he’s more competitive if they wrestle again.

What’s the feeling of the average Russian fan on the situation?  Do you view PED use like the average American fan views it?  Do you think the claims were exaggerated, or even false?  

Also, If your athletes still get to compete then the sanctions are toothless, right?

9 hours ago, AHamilton said:

But if they are really so amazing, why do they do it?

They justify it by saying, well the USA has nice gyms and equipment so they have an advantage as well.  They really don't see that it is wrong or an unfair advantage. 

And...they really are amazing, let's not get it twisted.

4 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

They justify it by saying, well the USA has nice gyms and equipment so they have an advantage as well.  They really don't see that it is wrong or an unfair advantage. 

And...they really are amazing, let's not get it twisted.

Oh yeah doping or not the skill set is other worldly. Would obviously be huge for Snyder, if he can navigate a Saduleav-less field, at the end of the day people remember 2x champ more than they remember the asterisk. 
USA does have all the funding and facilities. Always been a beef of mine as to why we can field competitive teams in some sports..... Soccer, Greco, Distance running (lol)
I dunno, I always wonder why we prevent doping at professional levels, get the baddest dudes out there, but i guess Olympics is an "Amateur" event right? To some degree. 
I dunno, dope away... gimme the best people out there. 
Note* If Russia doesn't compete I'll be disappointed

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Oh yeah doping or not the skill set is other worldly. Would obviously be huge for Snyder, if he can navigate a Saduleav-less field, at the end of the day people remember 2x champ more than they remember the asterisk. 
USA does have all the funding and facilities. Always been a beef of mine as to why we can field competitive teams in some sports..... Soccer, Greco, Distance running (lol)
I dunno, I always wonder why we prevent doping at professional levels, get the baddest dudes out there, but i guess Olympics is an "Amateur" event right? To some degree. 
I dunno, dope away... gimme the best people out there. 
Note* If Russia doesn't compete I'll be disappointed

Doping does not make you the best just a cheat.