Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

What current NCAA wrestlers/coaches could major Tom Brands?

The Brands brothers were both really good. John Smith is the best the US has ever produced.

Would be interesting to hear from those who wrestled Smith and get their story of how it went and how it was facing him.

Same with those who wrestled Gable and a number of the top guys through the years.

We watch and see the results but hearing from those who faced them would be nice.

Do know the wrestler Yojo Uetake went nuts on after a ref called him for stalling. "He hurt me, bad" is what it came down to. He went into more detail on the match but that is the reality.

3 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Do know the wrestler Yojo Uetake went nuts on after a ref called him for stalling. "He hurt me, bad" is what it came down to. He went into more detail on the match but that is the reality.

Assuming it's the Peritore match in the finals, I never heard that Uetake said anything to the ref. He apologized to Joe and then pinned him. On the other hand, Joe told the ref to mind his own business next time. He might have added a little more color.

Much like everyone who participates in Jimmy's many, many multi-page topics, I enjoy his contribution to the board.  He is not stupid at all.  This is a palooka sport message board, not plasma physics.

But I digress. To address the OPs burning question - If you have ever stood next to one of the Ts, you'd understand that literally any of the other coaches could major him and more.  Probably both Ts at the same time.  But not Nelson.

11 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

The Brands brothers were both really good. John Smith is the best the US has ever produced.

Would be interesting to hear from those who wrestled Smith and get their story of how it went and how it was facing him.

Same with those who wrestled Gable and a number of the top guys through the years.

We watch and see the results but hearing from those who faced them would be nice.

I rolled with John Smith once when I walked on at OSU, easily got the better of him. On the other hand I did have 60 pounds on him (I should start leaving that detail out when I tell this story, huh?)  :D 

3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Much like everyone who participates in Jimmy's many, many multi-page topics, I enjoy his contribution to the board.  He is not stupid at all.  This is a palooka sport message board, not plasma physics.

But I digress. To address the OPs burning question - If you have ever stood next to one of the Ts, you'd understand that literally any of the other coaches could major him and more.  Probably both Ts at the same time.  But not Nelson.

Nelson impressed me with that Colbray match. He's a scrapper, clearly a bigger version of his daddy. But Colbray isn't Mark Hall, either. So probably we should temper our expectations for young Brands until he has more ranked scalps on the wall. I've been thinking: maybe Tom should send the Bull to 174, and have Nelson wrestle 165 this year?

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

I rolled with John Smith once when I walked on at OSU, easily got the better of him. On the other hand I did have 60 pounds on him (I should start leaving that detail out when I tell this story, huh?)  :D 

I am confused. How can one person (who shall remain nameless) dominate Olympic medalists who outweigh him by 300 pounds but the GOAT of American wrestling can't overcome a walk-on's 60 pounds? 

Just now, TobusRex said:

Nelson impressed me with that Colbray match. He's a scrapper, clearly a bigger version of his daddy. But Colbray isn't Mark Hall, either. So probably we should temper our expectations for young Brands until he has more ranked scalps on the wall. I've been thinking: maybe Tom should send the Bull to 174, and have Nelson wrestle 165 this year?

Can he beat Kemmmmerrrrerr?

19 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I am confused. How can one person (who shall remain nameless) dominate Olympic medalists who outweigh him by 300 pounds but the GOAT of American wrestling can't overcome a walk-on's 60 pounds? 

Don't understand the reference for the first comment you made: who outweighed somebody else by 300 pounds and still got dominated in a match? Gonna make a wild guess: Chris Taylor/Gable? Cant' imagine it actually happening. 

As for my John Smith story, I've told that story ad nauseum over the years, sounds like you were lucky enough to miss it :D I'll nutshell it for you: was trying out for the team, coach Chesbro didn't know how much I knew and didn't want me to get hurt and called over John (we're the same age, were in the same grade), who was much smaller. I was kind of shocked at Chesbro making me wrestle the runt and was inwardly a bit offended. John insanely took a shot, a deep one (looking back I'm kind of sorry he didn't use an ankle pick, which became his calling card). I sprawled, nearly crushed the guy, while of course trying my best to rip his face off with a crossface (hey, maybe that's why he started using the pick: I'd showed him what a mistake deep shots can be? :D ) Was about to stick John in a cradle when we were stopped. Then I got a chance to wrestle Kenny Monday, who took me down with a super sweet duckunder. Finally, satisfied I wasn't completely ignorant, Tommy allowed me to practice with the team and partake in ranking matches (for the record I made 2nd team). 

Edited by TobusRex

19 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Can he beat Kemmmmerrrrerr?

Pffft. hell if I know. Kemmerer is tough. He should be back at 157 where he can do the most damage. But I can't blame him moving up, who the hell wants to starve themselves and run 10 miles a day?