Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

1972 NCAA Champions

18 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Kind of shocking to see how good MSU used to be on the mat. What happened to them? Did they get an AD that just didn't give a damn about wrestling or something?

They got a parrot that didn’t give a damn about wrestling.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, patmilkovich said:

I believe Barton qualified as a wildcard from DII. And Barton took out the 5,4,1,and 2 in that order...He won is first match 11-5, then 6-6, 4-3OT (2-3-3, 1min rest, then 1-1-1), then 8-5, then 5-3 in the semi's, then 8-6 in the finals.... I'm pretty sure they took the 1 & 2 and several wild cards in DII and all the DIII champs plus a few wilds...I could be wrong on the exact numbers....Also, Hvywt Chris Taylor, Iowa St., weighed 400+.  I wish they would reinstate the "unlimited" weight class again.  Having the 118 and UNL truly gave a lot of guys a chance to compete at the college level, reinforcing the concept that virtually any one, any size, could get a scholarship and compete collegiately in sport... like wrestling.  Back then there was no 9.9 limit on scholarships or how many could be in the room...And Doug Blubaugh was Grady's asst at MSU until 1973, then he left for Indiana.

Pat, congratulations to you and your brother for your outstanding careers.   It's an honor to have you provide your insight and wisdom to this board.

John and Witherman....thanks for the kind words.  for a guy who absolutely hated the sport growing up and then fell in love with it at MSU, I truly appreciate the era, the rules, the atmosphere, the athletes, and popularity wrestling enjoyed during my generation.  Some folks criticize the past and the wrestlers of those days (e.g.the techniques wouldn't work now, they'd get killed by the wrestlers today, etc.), but there were some really great rules, some great wrestling, great wrestlers, and  special moments for the sport back then. Chris Tayler was something like 6'7 / 6'8", but man, he could wrestle.  And boy, could he draw a crowd! A very funny guy too. Schalles was incredibly fun to watch.  Funky before the word was ever used to describe a wrestling style.  The Peterson's were tough.  Greg Johnson was an absolute machine, fearless, tenacious, hard nosed, relentless!  Anyway, thanks again and hope you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:05 PM, patmilkovich said:

I believe Barton qualified as a wildcard from DII. And Barton took out the 5,4,1,and 2 in that order...He won is first match 11-5, then 6-6, 4-3OT (2-3-3, 1min rest, then 1-1-1), then 8-5, then 5-3 in the semi's, then 8-6 in the finals.... I'm pretty sure they took the 1 & 2 and several wild cards in DII and all the DIII champs plus a few wilds...I could be wrong on the exact numbers....Also, Hvywt Chris Taylor, Iowa St., weighed 400+.  I wish they would reinstate the "unlimited" weight class again.  Having the 118 and UNL truly gave a lot of guys a chance to compete at the college level, reinforcing the concept that virtually any one, any size, could get a scholarship and compete collegiately in sport... like wrestling.  Back then there was no 9.9 limit on scholarships or how many could be in the room...And Doug Blubaugh was Grady's asst at MSU until 1973, then he left for Indiana.

Actually it was still College Division in 1972.  Div 2 and 3 separated in 1974.

I miss unlimited HWT too, Pat. The younger wrestling generation can't remember how awesome it was when huge guys, 300+ routinely, would wrestle heavies that weighed 250 or less. It was almost mythical when the "little" guys went out there and beat giants that outweighed them by 100 pounds or more, like a hero slaying a dragon. And almost always the crowd was against the big guy.  The huge heavies, most of them sloppy fat, were seen as a "disgrace" by a lot of the fans who hated fat people. They wanted heavies to all look like Mr Universe. But like you said, Chris Taylor COULD wrestle, and so could many of the others. Joe Smith, for example (Zing!). 

I think the thing that bothers me most about not having unlimited heavyweight is all the talent we lose to other sports. Most topnotch offensive lineman are over 300 pounds, so we can forget about those guys wrestling in college, and a bunch of those guys were great wrestlers in HS who just couldn't stop growing, and exceeded the 285 pound limit by the time they began college. Even most of the defensive linemen are 300 pounds, or close to it. So we aren't getting the best "big men" out of HS, and it pisses me off. I'm tired of losing so much talent to Football. 

Edited by TobusRex

Tobus...Yes, those big guys were were seen as you described and put fannies in the seats and the media couldn't help talking about them.  Great publicity!  I'm helping a local h.s. and was talking to a kid who wants to wrestle...but he weighs 330...has no clue how to lose wt., but wants to be involved in the sport..comes in everyday and does what he can, but he'll never make the wt.  ..and he actually has some athletic ability.  So, as you stated, we will either lose him to some other sport or he will end up doing nothing.  My dad was always proud of the fact that wrestling was a sport that any kid, any size, could be a state champion and compete in college. Unfortunately....

Guys like Wojo, Thacker, Taylor, Jackson, etc., were fun to watch and great promoters of wrestling,  and when they hit the mat, the whole building shook!