moveurfeet32

Can Desanto be any more Unsportsmanlike?

5 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I don't know for sure about Gable or Cael, as none of us do, but I have an opinion. Gable was long gone but I cannot see Cael putting up with a clown like Desanto literally trying to hurt someone at any point in any match.

Carl has put up with a lot worse guy in order to score points at NCAAs.

5 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Carl has put up with a lot worse guy in order to score points at NCAAs.

I didn't say he wouldn't put up with some bad guy or something. I said he wouldn't stand for somebody attempting to injure somebody on the mat. Two completely different things. Yes, and his name escapes me, the guy who made the finals as a freshman against McDonough for one but again attempting to injure somebody on the mat is what I was referring to. I dont think the Penn State wrestler, who I believe his last name was Long, had any history of trying to hurt someone on the mat.

26 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I didn't say he wouldn't put up with some bad guy or something. I said he wouldn't stand for somebody attempting to injure somebody on the mat. Two completely different things. Yes, and his name escapes me, the guy who made the finals as a freshman against McDonough for one but again attempting to injure somebody on the mat is what I was referring to. I dont think the Penn State wrestler, who I believe his last name was Long, had any history of trying to hurt someone on the mat.

Long had drinking problems and got kicked off the team at Iowa state transferred to penn state he took 3 rd helped penn state win the title then that summer he was arrested for sexually assaulting a teammates mom and never wrestled for psu again but over the years the story changed to “Cael let a rapist wrestle so he can win a title “ he never tried to hurt anyone he was just a scumbag off it 

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

I don't know for sure about Gable or Cael, as none of us do, but I have an opinion. Gable was long gone but I cannot see Cael putting up with a clown like Desanto literally trying to hurt someone at any point in any match.

No one said you couldn't have an opinion i think he is gross to.

If Cael wouldn't tolerate it he wouldn't have recruited him once he announced he was transferring. 

20 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Long had drinking problems and got kicked off the team at Iowa state transferred to penn state he took 3 rd helped penn state win the title then that summer he was arrested for sexually assaulting a teammates mom and never wrestled for psu again but over the years the story changed to “Cael let a rapist wrestle so he can win a title “ he never tried to hurt anyone he was just a scumbag off it 

Honestly, I fail to see the distinction. The drinking problems were well documented. By letting him him go without punishment for fighting a cop I believe, he enabled the behavior. 

Terry Brands and Jeff Prescott both got DQd for fighting the year before their infamous match in Carver. Its safe to say that Gable would have found a way to deal with a wrestler like Desanto.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Hmm, I remember at the time noticing a distinct flip in the way many Hawkeye fans went from putting DeSanto down to welcoming him with open arms when the transfer appeared likely - which was pretty shortly after NCAAs. Either way, it’s an interesting balance between the hard-nosed bad boy culture so many fans like and even encourage, versus maintaining structure and control so he doesn’t take it too far.

How long are you suggesting there was outrage on HR? Other than the initial response, I dont remember a huge uproar after the tourney and the transfer wasnt for months later.

12 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Terry Brands and Jeff Prescott both got DQd for fighting the year before their infamous match in Carver. Its safe to say that Gable would have found a way to deal with a wrestler like Desanto.

Gable wouldn’t have needed DeSanto to save his job.

44 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Honestly, I fail to see the distinction. The drinking problems were well documented. By letting him him go without punishment for fighting a cop I believe, he enabled the behavior. 

Cael enabled him to rape a woman? You can’t be serious. The kid had drinking issues not sexual predator issues, if you wanna really wanna call someone an enabler then you should be talking about the grandview coach that let long wrestle after he served time for more then one sexual assault incident.

When did DeSanto try to "injure somebody on the mat" in a Hawkeye singlet?

17 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Cael enabled him to rape a woman? You can’t be serious. The kid had drinking issues not sexual predator issues, if you wanna really wanna call someone an enabler then you should be talking about the grandview coach that let long wrestle after he served time for more then one sexual assault incident.

Nick Mitchel gave Long a chance AFTER he did time. Thats the difference. 

Was it smart of him to give Andrew a chance again? Probably not. He didnt deserve another chance at that point IMO, but he had already had consequences for his actions.

Cael was not concerned with Andrew actually having consequences for his actions. It obviously was a lesson he needed to learn at that time, but a title was more important.

Edited by russelscout

2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

You ever been placed in or administered a bow an arrow? I’m assuming you haven’t.  There’s a reason why it works damn near every time - it hurts like hell. 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Long was trash long before he even got to ISU and EVERYONE remotely close to him or the area knew it. I know you’re a PSU wagon rider but try not to speak on topics you have no idea on. Caels hands weren’t clean on that transfer but it got the job done (the points)

36 minutes ago, Witherman said:

You ever been placed in or administered a bow an arrow? I’m assuming you haven’t.  There’s a reason why it works damn near every time - it hurts like hell. 

Long was trash long before he even got to ISU and EVERYONE remotely close to him or the area knew it. I know you’re a PSU wagon rider but try not to speak on topics you have no idea on. Caels hands weren’t clean on that transfer but it got the job done (the points)

I’m a psu wagon rider because I don’t buy into the bs that Cael enabled Andrew long to sexually assault someone. Ok then..I pointed out long is a scumbag but a lot of people have been kicked out of schools and transferred and completely changed there lives...long didn’t but I don’t buy the whole enabler garbage, long and long alone are responsible for what he did

16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’m a psu wagon rider because I don’t buy into the bs that Cael enabled Andrew long to sexually assault someone. Ok then..I pointed out long is a scumbag but a lot of people have been kicked out of schools and transferred and completely changed there lives...long didn’t but I don’t buy the whole enabler garbage, long and long alone are responsible for what he did

Then why did Cael want to be associated with Long?

58 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Then why did Cael want to be associated with Long?

Let me point out the obvious. At tge time Cael gave Long a second chance, he had not committed sexual assault. He was just another college kid who drank too much. Maybe even got into a fight.

22 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Let me point out the obvious. At tge time Cael gave Long a second chance, he had not committed sexual assault. He was just another college kid who drank too much. Maybe even got into a fight.

Like Ed “Taco Bell” Ruth?  Carl likes to give second chances to guys who can score big points at NCAAs.  What about poor Teasdale, why no second chance for him?

11 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Like Ed “Taco Bell” Ruth?  Carl likes to give second chances to guys who can score big points at NCAAs.  What about poor Teasdale, why no second chance for him?

He got his second chance after the Scuffle, then another after rehab.

13 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Like Cael is the only coach lol how many times did Montell Marion get arrested? Or any number of kids at colleges all over that you probably never heard about because it didn’t make the papers. I mean kids on Minnesota were selling and doing Xanax on a daily basis and didn’t get kicked off the team let’s be real 

47 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

...who drank too much and fought a police officer. I really dont know that many college kids who needed to be tazed. Tbar, we have been on this carousel too many times but I think Witherman makes a good point here:

2 hours ago, Witherman said:

Long was trash long before he even got to ISU and EVERYONE remotely close to him or the area knew it.

I lived about 3 hours away from Creston, but still heard plenty about Andrew. He had plenty of a reputation in Iowa and it wasnt just for wrestling. He is just another example of a troubled kid that was able to get away with anything because he was so damn talented. 

Maybe to you it doesnt seem that obvious, but to anyone around at that time who knew about Longs upbringing and his growing rap sheet, it was clear that it wasnt going to end up well without intervention.

Edited by russelscout