Sign in to follow this  
moveurfeet32

Ivy League School cant even do a decent recap of Match

You would think an IVY League Program would be able to handle this. Read the article, they wrestled 165lbs 2X and one was against the best kid in "Countey". Also there is not a HS Program in USA that would post scores without naming the schools. 

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2019/11/23/wrestling-drops-season-opener-to-9-nc-state-25-9.aspx

32 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

You would think an IVY League Program would be able to handle this. Read the article, they wrestled 165lbs 2X and one was against the best kid in "Countey". Also there is not a HS Program in USA that would post scores without naming the schools. 

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2019/11/23/wrestling-drops-season-opener-to-9-nc-state-25-9.aspx

When mudflap is done doing his Iowa thing maybe he can take up the Cornell website. 

1 hour ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Looks like they misspelled "county" As the season goes forward they will move on to state ranked kids and eventually kids that are nationally ranked. Have patience, grasshopper.

5 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Looks like they misspelled "county" As the season goes forward they will move on to state ranked kids and eventually kids that are nationally ranked. Have patience, grasshopper.

It was a typo, should be country....

14 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

As 3 time County Champ, I take offense to your comment!

12 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Looks like they misspelled "county" 

6 hours ago, Mokoma said:

It was a typo, should be country....

Just a general comment not aimed at anyone. Therein lies one of the problems. Is it county, or is it country? Words actually do matter. 

16 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Just a general comment not aimed at anyone. Therein lies one of the problems. Is it county, or is it country? Words actually do matter. 

Pretty simple, they don't rank a lot of college kids per county. And the e is right next to the r on the keyboard.

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Pretty simple, they don't rank a lot of college kids per county. And the e is right next to the r on the keyboard.

If we asked nicely I bet Andre would be happy to compile a county rating for wrestlers for the 3,007 counties in the USA.

Edited by TobusRex

27 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Context is more important.  We all know the context of this typo and can easily repair it.  Issues arise when people purposefully obfuscate context after the fact to suit their present needs.  That is what I did.  Other people have higher purpose with their specific words.  They question what the definition of 'is' is or ask for a favor that can be refused but at the expense of 400 million dollars.

15 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Cornell is only a "fake Ivy" so your post is moot.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Cornell-referred-to-as-the-Fake-Ivy

16 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Cornell should try the Penn State SID's approach "Big Red rolls as they dominate NC State".

3 hours ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Cornell is only a "fake Ivy" so your post is moot.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Cornell-referred-to-as-the-Fake-Ivy

Is Cornell actually any worse than the other Ivies? My whole family has gone to Ivies and I don't want to be "the disappointment".

someone actually asked that question on Quora!  Happy thanksgiving.

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You know that, we know that. Does the liberal arts major at Cornell know that?

What do the students have to do with this? I would assume this is done by what might normally be considered the SID which at Cornell appears to be termed Sports Communication. The relevant staff person for wrestling went to Loras/Illinois State.

Hey guys,

I’ll take the bait here. I’m Austin, the SID for Cornell Wrestling. I, like the rest of you, read this forum because I’m a fan of wrestling, so I was surprised to see an entire topic dedicated to me. Truth be told, yes my story had a few typos in it. They have been amended. Not to make excuses, but when you have maybe 30 minutes to get a recap out due to other home sporting events going on, sometimes typos can slip by. This is my second full season covering wrestling (did so at Michigan State last year and at Loras College as a student) and I’m always open to constructive criticism of my work.

Outside of the typos and the teams missing from the box score, I felt my recap of the dual was more comprehensive than what most schools are doing. In your opinion what else should added?

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

What do the students have to do with this? I would assume this is done by what might normally be considered the SID which at Cornell appears to be termed Sports Communication. The relevant staff person for wrestling went to Loras/Illinois State.

I am not discussing this from the writer's perspective, but rather from the reader's perspective. It is on a Cornell site, so I am assuming Cornell students would read that article. 

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I am not discussing this from the writer's perspective, but rather from the reader's perspective. It is on a Cornell site, so I am assuming Cornell students would read that article. 

How does the reader's perspective enter into this at all? We have no idea if students read it or commented or even noticed. SIDs are generally for the Alums and other fans. The students either go to the matches or probably read from the student paper. 

Why not do something actually constructive (as opposed to your usual mo) and answer the SIDs post. He was nice enough to respond directly.

59 minutes ago, asovermann said:

Hey guys,

I’ll take the bait here. I’m Austin, the SID for Cornell Wrestling. I, like the rest of you, read this forum because I’m a fan of wrestling, so I was surprised to see an entire topic dedicated to me. Truth be told, yes my story had a few typos in it. They have been amended. Not to make excuses, but when you have maybe 30 minutes to get a recap out due to other home sporting events going on, sometimes typos can slip by. This is my second full season covering wrestling (did so at Michigan State last year and at Loras College as a student) and I’m always open to constructive criticism of my work.

Outside of the typos and the teams missing from the box score, I felt my recap of the dual was more comprehensive than what most schools are doing. In your opinion what else should added?

Good luck in your job. Its not the easiest of jobs. I enjoy well written pieces and look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

15 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

How does the reader's perspective enter into this at all? 

Because words are written to be read. Anyone writing anything for publication should take into account how their work translates to all of their readership. I am guessing it isn't only fans and alumni that read the Cornell sports site, but also students. 

1 hour ago, asovermann said:

Hey guys,

This place will argue five pages on someone's opinion.  Folks never miss the opportunity to 'correct' someone else. (It's easy to slip.)  You addressed it and a good deal of people read the article.  I imagine a good deal of people will read it next time as well.  FWIW...This is my goto wrestling site.  Entertaining and factual.  Like FLO with more, "facts."  OR... like FLO with more "entertainment." 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Because words are written to be read. Anyone writing anything for publication should take into account how their work translates to all of their readership. I am guessing it isn't only fans and alumni that read the Cornell sports site, but also students. 

Nice how you changed the argument and what you say still doesn't make any sense. You initially said the liberal arts people didn't know. Again, how would you know if they knew or didn't? Now you're saying the writer should take them into account. What does that mean here? The guy made a few typos- are you saying the Cornell students wouldn't recognize them as such? I doubt they read it. You're the one that couldn't figure if it was county or country.