ex_kewzay_mwah

Crowdsourcing “Close Calls” — Do You Know of Any?

I’m looking to put together a compliation of “close calls” video clips in order to help train collegiate officials. If you can recall any controversial situations (or even non-controversial ones, as long as they were close), it would be very helpful if you could share them in this thread.

You don’t need to provide me with links if you don’t have them — the most important things are the name of the wrestler(s), the event (was it a dual, tournament, etc.), the year (anything from 2016 onward would be ideal), and a brief description of what the situation was (if it wouldn’t be obvious from watching the match).

I have full access to both Flo and Trackwrestling, so if the video is somewhere online, I should be able to track down the footage as long as you can give me enough information to work with.

I’d like to avoid the Division I Championship finals, as most officials have already seen those videos. But any situations from any other events would be great.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Heflin -Zerep dual OT: unexplainable bad call

Dake - Taylor Southern Scuffle: a few questionable calls, but mostly the final seconds of the match 

Caldwell - Metcalf spladle: shoulder blades down or not

Storley - Evans dual: questionable non TD

Suriano - Lee singlet grab: Spencer Lee’s freshman year, can’t remember if this was at Big Tens or NCAAs

Probably a bunch of Dean Heil’s matches 

Downey’s Twitter feed

Edited by pamela

Cullen is awarded 2 against Chalifoux at the buzzer.  Even the second ref is shaking his head sayin  it needs to be reviewed.  Evidently there “is no video to review” and the refs are talking for a while to seemingly agree to disagree.  

Sometimes refs have to make sure top ranked teams stay on top.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6559583-2019-afc-duals-at-broadway-pier/videos?limit=57&playing=6588179

start at 3 hours 7 minutes and 34 seconds.  It is the first match on that video.  For some reason FLO doesn’t have THAT video on its own.  Gould have been a “was that 2” video on the front page.  

Edited by Cptafw164

3 hours ago, pamela said:

Caldwell - Metcalf spladle: shoulder blades down or not

Caldwell had him flat for at least 2 seconds then the ref got into position to view.  Were his blades down for the 1 second ?  Yes.  But not when called.  

1 minute ago, Cptafw164 said:

Caldwell had him flat for at least 2 seconds then the ref got into position to view.  Were his blades down for the 1 second ?  Yes.  But not when called.  

The ref went WWE and felt the shoulders before calling the pin 

53 minutes ago, Idaho said:

The non takedown call in the Oliver Steiber ncaa final. Oliver’s head position. 

Of course, they changed the rule the next year so it would have counted. It was arguable when it happened. The next year it would have been wrong.

Every match ever wrestled at Carver where the Iowa wrestler lost by 1 or 2pts.  I guarantee Hawkeye fans feel as if there was some shoddy officiating in every one of those matches.  

I like Iowa's program.  It's the fans that are whackadoodles.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Every match ever wrestled at Carver where the Iowa wrestler lost by 1 or 2pts.  I guarantee Hawkeye fans feel as if there was some shoddy officiating in every one of those matches.  

I like Iowa's program.  It's the fans that are whackadoodles.

You know damn well that every single one of the winners of those matches was STALLING!

12 hours ago, wpialchamp said:

That ref is a current NCAA assignor and also teaches officiating mechanics classes.

I'd love to hear his reasoning for the WWE feeling the shoulders move.  Never seen this past the youth tournaments with hero dads reffing.