Billyhoyle

Team race idea: Dual on Sunday of NCAAs

Watching college football and the excitement of the upcoming playoffs gave me an idea. NCAA wrestling can do something similar for the team race that won’t ruin the NCAA tournament. 

The idea is simple:

1. Don’t change anything about the NCAA tournament Thursday through Saturday sessions. 

2. On Sunday morning, teams that finished 3 and 4 in the team race for the tournament dual for third place.  

3. On Sunday night teams that finished 1-2 in the tournament dual for the NCAA title. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is tournament score. 

Logistically, the only difference is the top teams will have to travel with their whole lineup plus some backups in case of injury. But what this will do is create an extremely exciting finish to the team race every year without taking anything away from the tournament portion of the event. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

20 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Watching college football and the excitement of the upcoming playoffs gave me an idea. NCAA wrestling can do something similar for the team race that won’t ruin the NCAA tournament. 

The idea is simple:

1. Don’t change anything about the NCAA tournament Thursday through Saturday sessions. 

2. On Sunday morning, teams that finished 3 and 4 in the team race for the tournament dual for third place.  

3. On Sunday night teams that finished 1-2 in the tournament dual for the NCAA title. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is tournament score. 

Logistically, the only difference is the top teams will have to travel with their whole lineup plus some backups in case of injury. But what this will do is create an extremely exciting finish to the team race every year without taking anything away from the tournament portion of the event. 

That would mean guys would have to weigh in 4 days in a row , who just grinded through the hardest 3 days of wrestling to turn around and now wrestle a dual. Also if you are a starter on one of these teams but you aren’t an NCAA qualifier that means you’ll have to make weight for the first time in 2, 3 weeks in some cases and you wouldn’t even know if you had to til Saturday night in some cases.

16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

That would mean guys would have to weigh in 4 days in a row , who just grinded through the hardest 3 days of wrestling to turn around and now wrestle a dual. Also if you are a starter on one of these teams but you aren’t an NCAA qualifier that means you’ll have to make weight for the first time in 2, 3 weeks in some cases and you wouldn’t even know if you had to til Saturday night in some cases.

Yeah, 1 more weigh in and one more match for 4 teams only. 

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think your under selling how difficult it is to make weight 4 days in row all while wrestling in the toughest folkstyle tournament in the world.

I’m more worried about injuries than the weight cut. These guys don’t cut much weight anymore because of the 1 hour weigh in. 

This would never pass the coaches. I've been at the head table for quite a few and one thing that stood out to me was in looking at the guys pass by during the AA parade before the finals. These guys have been through a war. They gear up to wrestle on Saturday not Sunday. It would be like having a race and then suddenly putting a second tape another 50 yards beyond and expecting them to go full steam again for a separate award.

That’s an interesting idea @Billyhoyle - one thing that makes duals interesting is that the strategy for a team victory is sometimes at odds of an individual’s success (e.g., having to bump up a weight for the good of the team score), so I’d like to preserve that.

I think a solution I’d propose for D1 would be something like:

- eliminate all preseason tournaments

- Nov - Jan: wrestle the dual season in folkstyle culminating in an 8 team (or whatever) dual championships bracket to determine the team champions

- Feb - Mar: following the dual championship, hold a handful of regional or conference-based individual tournaments in FS or Greco using UWW weight classes

- Early Apr: cap the season with national FS and Greco tournaments to determine individual weight class champions

I’m just spitballing but maybe this way we could see wrestlers compete for a team trophy in folkstyle, then there would be tension and drama when guys choose which style (FS, Greco or both) and weight to compete at for an individual title. It would also dovetail nicely into the international wrestling offseason.