irani

World Champion 2019 Sadulaev was banned for 4 month from any competition organized by the UWW.

I am afraid I do not know much more than what is on Twitter 

this is what I gather.  He wore a shirt with the picture of Imam Shamil.  I looked up Imam Shamil on wiki, he was an 1800 Chechnian Muslim cleric who fought the Russians.

he also dedicated the win to Imam Shamil.

apparently, that is enough to ban him.  A four month ban seems harmless and more to send him a message 

Edited by irani

I would love to hear more about this. I get why Russia wouldn’t like this, but was this sanction by UWW? Why would they care? I realize the 4 month suspension is basically a slap on the wrist, but why is it punishable at all? Sounds like he is just supporting his local culture... kind of like a Southern US citizen waving the rebel flag. 

The most bizarre aspect is that the Ivan_FS Twitter appears to be saying that the suspension came from the UWW, not Russia Wrestling. It’s only through January though so maybe it all doesn’t matter. 

Nothing on UWW website about this. Nothing on several google searches. Only thing I can find on this suspension is on this site from the OP.  It does not even make sense.

Maybe this is true, but don't bet the farm on this being legit. 

It's legit, it's on the UWW website

Pure speculation is it could be based on the kerfluffle this summer between Ramazan Kadyrov and Dagestan over Imam Shamil. But that's just speculation. I don't expect to ever hear the details behind the decision, just as I don't expect this to be more than a one-off, special-case disciplinary action. 

As the OP, I cannot vouch on the validity of the news

i have found the twitter of Ivan FSvarestlinf to be reliable to date

I also could not find any other news about his suspension, but i did find another source about his dedication of the victory to Imam Shamil

http://islam.ru/en/content/news/muslim-wrestler-devoted-his-victory-world-cup-imam-shamil

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

It's legit, it's on the UWW website

Pure speculation is it could be based on the kerfluffle this summer between Ramazan Kadyrov and Dagestan over Imam Shamil. But that's just speculation. I don't expect to ever hear the details behind the decision, just as I don't expect this to be more than a one-off, special-case disciplinary action. 

Thanks for the link Hasek. 

on the UWW website

Problem. According to this UWW link, the suspension ended January 21, 2019 (10 months ago). 

Ok, so if that is a typo and should read 1-21-20, we now need to believe

1. The world governing body suspended the most famous wrestler on the planet and put down the wrong date for his suspension to end.

And

2. The world governing body suspended it's most famous wrestler over  2 months ago and nobody around here knew until yesterday.

13 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I would love to hear more about this. I get why Russia wouldn’t like this, but was this sanction by UWW? Why would they care? I realize the 4 month suspension is basically a slap on the wrist, but why is it punishable at all? Sounds like he is just supporting his local culture... kind of like a Southern US citizen waving the rebel flag. 

and any wrestler waving the rebel flag would be in a ****storm

The suspension is for 4 months.  If it ends in 1/20, that means he was suspended in 9/19.

9/19 is when he won, wore the shirt and made the dedication to what's his name.

I think it's fair to assume the date on the UWW site is a typo.

At this point, I don't think there is any doubt that he was suspended.  The only area of doubt is the date of the suspension.

I am very surprised this was not big news when it happened.

Edited by irani

3 hours ago, irani said:

The suspension is for 4 months.  If it ends in 1/20, that means he was suspended in 9/19.

9/19 is when he won, wore the shirt and made the dedication to what's his name.

I think it's fair to assume the date on the UWW site is a typo.

At this point, I don't think there is any doubt that he was suspended.  The only area of doubt is the date of the suspension.

I am very surprised this was not big news when it happened.

this is what i meant by my post

it doesn't make sense that he was suspended last year and no one knew

It does appear that this did happen. 

UWW might want to revamp their thinking on what disciplinary actions are for. By keeping this quiet and burying it deep in their website, it takes away a key reason for discipline, which is to inform others and hopefully prevent further instances of the "violation". 

How about something on the front page indicating they are doing a small wrist slap on their biggest star.  

What I don't understand is that they are so anti... whatever it is that the countries do to void to Israel, yet they are doing the same(even if a one-off) to Sadulaev? Discrimination based on ethnicities and the politics being their cultures?

6 hours ago, GockeS said:

and any wrestler waving the rebel flag would be in a ****storm

That’s true, but the backlash would come from fans and sponsors, but probably not the league. The NFL encourages players to stand during the anthem, for example, but they didn’t suspend Kaepernick due to his kneeling. And what Sadulaev did happened post-competition anyway and wasn’t a disruption to the event. So it’s kind of weird and FILAesque for the UWW to both suspend him and bury the announcement of the disciplinary action.