irani

World Champion 2019 Sadulaev was banned for 4 month from any competition organized by the UWW.

The suspension is for not wearing the official team wrestling gear on the awards platform.  I believe some other nation (Iran?) may have been hit with that at a tournament this year.  They want everyone in an easily identifiable team warm-up while getting medals.  That generally would lead to fewer controversies and keep politics out of sport.

24 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

The suspension is for not wearing the official team wrestling gear on the awards platform.  I believe some other nation (Iran?) may have been hit with that at a tournament this year.  They want everyone in an easily identifiable team warm-up while getting medals.  That generally would lead to fewer controversies and keep politics out of sport.

This explanation is the first one I’ve heard that actually makes sense. Although, a four month suspension seems like a harsh punishment for that. In this circumstance it is no big deal, but what if it was 3 months before the Olympics? Would they still enforce that? Has this reason officially been confirmed anywhere? 

59 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Sadulaev wore his team uniform on the podium. No Imam Shamil shirt was visible. it was in the mix zone, the post-match media interview area, where he put the shirt on and said he was dedicating the win to Imam Shamil. 

30 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

This explanation is the first one I’ve heard that actually makes sense. Although, a four month suspension seems like a harsh punishment for that. In this circumstance it is no big deal, but what if it was 3 months before the Olympics? Would they still enforce that? Has this reason officially been confirmed anywhere? 

Read the document I posted. Are there any UWW events that close to the Olympics where this "crime" could be prosecuted? (I'm asking)

35 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Read the document I posted. Are there any UWW events that close to the Olympics where this "crime" could be prosecuted? (I'm asking)

Thanks I guess I should have read that first lol. There are definitely events within four months of the Olympics, but who knows if they would prosecute them the same. That was kind of my point... I highly doubt they suspend him from any important tournament for this. I get how he broke the rule, but do they have set punishments for this? Does it always have to be a four month suspension?

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

Thanks I guess I should have read that first lol. There are definitely events within four months of the Olympics, but who knows if they would prosecute them the same. That was kind of my point... I highly doubt they suspend him from any important tournament for this. I get how he broke the rule, but do they have set punishments for this? Does it always have to be a four month suspension?

What I was asking was were there uww events? For example, the beat the streets gala might be in that time frame but I don't think it's actually a uww.

10 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

What I was asking was were there uww events? For example, the beat the streets gala might be in that time frame but I don't think it's actually a uww.

Yeah I’m pretty sure the last Olympic qualifier is within 4 months, and I believe there are several other international events that are considered UWW events. 

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Sadulaev wore his team uniform on the podium. No Imam Shamil shirt was visible. it was in the mix zone, the post-match media interview area, where he put the shirt on and said he was dedicating the win to Imam Shamil. 

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I saw a pic of him on the podium with the shirt on.  Photoshop?

Edited by AHamilton

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I am afraid both of your statements are wrong!

Here is the explanation for the UWW page

II. Facts 4. On the occasion of the 2019 Senior World Championship held in Nur-Sultan (KAZ) and in particular but not limited to immediately after the medal ceremony in his category, the athlete took away his national team tracksuit to ostensibly and deliberately show a t-shirt with a politically and religiously connoted image, i.e. a shirt showing a portrait of “Imam Shamil”, a Caucasian political, military, and religious leader in the 19th century. The athlete answered to media solicitations in the mixed zone 2 wearing his shirt. He wore this shirt and other shirts with the same portrait publicly in various other occasions during the championship inside the competition venue. He also published pictures on the social media of himself with his championship’s medal and this shirt.

Also, the Iranian athlete you refer to was disqualified for wearing a short sleeve shirt on the podium!!  Others wore Short sleeve shirts on the podium at the same event, however, their crimes were not punished

I'm not sure how "both of my statements are wrong?" An Iranian athlete was sanctioned, correct? How am I wrong?

And my statement regarding Saduleev wearing a non-uniform shirt on the platform came from a Russian language instagram post.  I must have not noticed a photoshop, but I did have the statement translated.

And neither statement I made was malicious in nature, nor judgmental.  I was basing the Saduleev statement off of an apparently faulty IG post and the Iranian statement was based off of memory and I was not wrong.  He was wearing a garment deemed inappropriate by UWW.

17 minutes ago, irani said:

I am afraid both of your statements are wrong!

Here is the explanation for the UWW page

II. Facts 4. On the occasion of the 2019 Senior World Championship held in Nur-Sultan (KAZ) and in particular but not limited to immediately after the medal ceremony in his category, the athlete took away his national team tracksuit to ostensibly and deliberately show a t-shirt with a politically and religiously connoted image, i.e. a shirt showing a portrait of “Imam Shamil”, a Caucasian political, military, and religious leader in the 19th century. The athlete answered to media solicitations in the mixed zone 2 wearing his shirt. He wore this shirt and other shirts with the same portrait publicly in various other occasions during the championship inside the competition venue. He also published pictures on the social media of himself with his championship’s medal and this shirt.

Also, the Iranian athlete you refer to was disqualified for wearing a short sleeve shirt on the podium!!  Others wore Short sleeve shirts on the podium at the same event, however, their crimes were not punished

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

I'm not sure how "both of my statements are wrong?" An Iranian athlete was sanctioned, correct? How am I wrong?

And my statement regarding Saduleev wearing a non-uniform shirt on the platform came from a Russian language instagram post.  I must have not noticed a photoshop, but I did have the statement translated.

And neither statement I made was malicious in nature, nor judgmental.  I was basing the Saduleev statement off of an apparently faulty IG post and the Iranian statement was based off of memory and I was not wrong.  He was wearing a garment deemed inappropriate by UWW.

This was your original statement

5 hours ago, AHamilton said:

The Iranian WAS wearing the official team uniform.  He just happened to be wearing the short sleeve version.

I never thought either of your statements were malicious in nature.

10 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Could be that. Another possibility is that you are remembering incorrectly.

And if find any evidence that he was wearing the shirt on the podium, please share!

Either is possible, as I am having a difficult time finding the IG post.

1 hour ago, Wrestling60 said:

Look who is the President of UWW... Sending a message to his athletes. Typical Russian style. 

What does that mean? Lalovic is Serbian and the guy listed in the document showing the penalty for Sadulaev is Bulgarian.

6 minutes ago, dwkeller said:

Many US Wrestlers profess faith in Christ/God. What is the difference? Muslims use Allah as their name for God. No one should be banned for believing in God.

What are you talking about? How does this relate to the topic?

3 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Anybody know the history of this Imam Shamil? His wiki paints a picture of an effective leader but ultimately unsuccessful freedom fighter so I'm wondering why he is revered 150 years later.

Ever go to Richmond, VA? It is not uncommon for cultures to continue to revere effective yet ultimately unsuccessful leaders of independence movements, even 150 years after their failure. 

14 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Anybody know the history of this Imam Shamil? His wiki paints a picture of an effective leader but ultimately unsuccessful freedom fighter so I'm wondering why he is revered 150 years later.

A failed George Washington, but also a revered religious leader.  Like Washington, he is also accredited with feats of superhuman physicality and incredible wisdom.

Basically, he tried to stick it to the man and had some success but was ultimately successful.  

The Confederacy is a good comparison, but add in some religion. He is a  symbol for separatism in a region that is still unhappy about their membership in a Russian republic.

Edited by AHamilton