Jump to content
hammerlockthree

The Next Flo Film Better be about Rokfin

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Hold on, did he sign a non compete and now that flo may sue him he is questioning their character? What did he think a non compete was? What an idiot.

I’m not following this soap opera very closely, but...

why would you think he signed a non compete?

just an assumption?

I personally have no clue but his exit is not a scenario where non-competes are typically signed...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LJB said:

I’m not following this soap opera very closely, but...

why would you think he signed a non compete?

just an assumption?

I personally have no clue but his exit is not a scenario where non-competes are typically signed...

 

Just an assumption based on a few comments on twitter. The non-compete wouldn't have been signed at the exit but at the beginning of his employment or during. I would think it would be smart for a young business like Flo at the time to have their employees sign that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Just an assumption based on a few comments on twitter. The non-compete wouldn't have been signed at the exit but at the beginning of his employment or during. I would think it would be smart for a young business like Flo at the time to have their employees sign that. 

The non-compete could have been signed during, but, that is by no means the only time...

regardless, I don’t have a clue either way, but, I sure wouldn’t be implying it as fact just because dude is a bit of a jackass...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LJB said:

The non-compete could have been signed during, but, that is by no means the only time...

regardless, I don’t have a clue either way, but, I sure wouldn’t be implying it as fact just because dude is a bit of a jackass...

Well it almost has to be noncompete or IP related. I can't really think of what else it would be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Well it almost has to be noncompete or IP related. I can't really think of what else it would be. 

It could be for perceived defamation or pure spite...

again, no clue... and Willie is not someone I would ever claim as being the sharpest tool in the shed, but, I find it hard to believe he would have signed a non compete and then violated it the first day after he unexpectedly left flo... that doesn’t make any sense at all

Edited by LJB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Non-competes are very common. I would be surprised if the law suit is not about that. Different states approach non-competes differently. In some states, typically liberal "right to work" states, non-competes are a joke and almost never enforceable, e.g. California. In other states, such as (unfortunately for Willie) Texas, non-competes are enforceable. In still other states, they are enforceable but with a substantial burden of proof on the previous employer, e.g. Florida (the previous employer must prove not only that there was a substantial business interest that was stolen/violated, but that substantial economic damages resulted directly from the previous employee's competition, and this only applies to certain full-time positions, not all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Non-competes are very common. I would be surprised if the law suit is not about that. Different states approach non-competes differently. In some states, typically liberal "right to work" states, non-competes are a joke and almost never enforceable, e.g. California. In other states, such as (unfortunately for Willie) Texas, non-competes are enforceable. In still other states, they are enforceable but with a substantial burden of proof on the previous employer, e.g. Florida (the previous employer must prove not only that there was a substantial business interest that was stolen/violated, but that substantial economic damages resulted directly from the previous employee's competition, and this only applies to certain full-time positions, not all).

Right to work states are generally conservative because that policy is seen as union busting. With that said, I know nothing about non compete clauses. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a lawyer but I would bet it’s more about the intellectual property.   Maybe they were slightly updated, but I’m pretty sure some of the first stuff he posted to Rofkin were copy/pastes of rankings that were already on Flo, and even used the same names such as the “Crystal Ball rankings”

I feel like Martin would’ve been aware of any non-competes and wouldn’t want them to go after Willie for that.  But then again I would think he wouldn’t want Willie to steal Flo’s stuff either, so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they want him to reimburse them for the broadcast studio they put in his house? 

Seriously though, I am kind of surprised by Willie's twitter attacks last night.   He seems to imply that he doesnt like anyone at Flo, including his guys like Pyles and Nomad.  It will be interesting to hear (if there is any response at all) from the FRL guys. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Seriously though, I am kind of surprised by Willie's twitter attacks last night.

I say it's just another 'Flo critique' not a Twitter attack lol.

Even before all this drama Wlilie stood out as the sincere one. It's fair game to critique Willie (just as it's fair game to critique Flo) but I for one see much good stuff done by him. WNO a Willie creation, no? "Where there's smoke, there's fire." Willie says Flo's got a culture problem. Totally plausible. It's not as if Willie says Flo's got an overabundance of expertise!

Lawsuit a bad look for Flo. But just as irksome personality draws attention from Willie's good conduct, """unprecedented coverage and access""" may well draw attention from Flo bad conduct.

Edited by jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Not a lawyer but I would bet it’s more about the intellectual property.   Maybe they were slightly updated, but I’m pretty sure some of the first stuff he posted to Rofkin were copy/pastes of rankings that were already on Flo, and even used the same names such as the “Crystal Ball rankings”

I feel like Martin would’ve been aware of any non-competes and wouldn’t want them to go after Willie for that.  But then again I would think he wouldn’t want Willie to steal Flo’s stuff either, so who knows.

Flo doesn’t have any IP claim to “crystal ball rankings.”  If that is IP they should be paying royalties to whoever first coined it. And I get that written content is copyrighted, but rankings are a list of athletes based on Willie’s opinion. Him posting those rankings for Rokfin is not stealing IP-it’s just that his opinion on the rankings has not changed since moving. It would be another story if he lifted articles word for word. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Flo doesn’t have any IP claim to “crystal ball rankings.”  If that is IP they should be paying royalties to whoever first coined it. And I get that written content is copyrighted, but rankings are a list of athletes based on Willie’s opinion. Him posting those rankings for Rokfin is not stealing IP-it’s just that his opinion on the rankings has not changed since moving. It would be another story if he lifted articles word for word. 

The “crystal ball rankings” on Flo did kinda have an article with them.  No clue if that’s on Rokfin though too since it’s behind the paywall.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Martin Floreani owns the platform- not Flo.

I must say that Martin’s twitter is probably more annoying than Willie’s.  It’s pretty much just a bunch of cliche phrases trying to make sure people know he’s smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I must say that Martin’s twitter is probably more annoying than Willie’s.  It’s pretty much just a bunch of cliche phrases trying to make sure people know he’s smart.

Martin is a sharp guy, but he is too high on himself. With that said, he has legitimately accomplished quite a bit, both for the sport and in business. I would be open to investing in a venture of his (not that he needs my money). 

Willie has mostly made an impact on wrestling due to Martin's work and now walks around like he independently accomplished something nobody else could have. It is a little silly to be honest. I like Willie's persona, so this isn't coming from a hater. I just think he is being ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Rofkin could have a tremendous impact/be highly valuable once College athletes are able to make $ off of their name likeness. If the language is correct (pretty vague right now to my understanding), an extremely popular wrestler could make their own profile, and provide exclusive content through their platform. That could be extremely valuable. Once that starts, I think you could potentially see some dominos fall and see some coaches do the same- that could potentially happen sooner even. 

Right now though, I personally cant see a reason why one would choose Rofkin over Flo for wrestling content. Sure, if you have the money maybe do both but I certainly dont have that kind of spare change.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...