russelscout

What has Willie Saylor done that was so great?

He is always self aggrandizing and calling himself this great mind in the sport. What has he done that was so great because I can't think of anything?

He was a ranking and an opinion on a podcast. Although he was a much needed contrarian at times, I have never heard him say something that really made me go "Wow, Willie really made me rethink everything there." Now he is on twitter just creating drama and claiming that D1 programs are giving him exclusive access to their room. Why? Why would anyone do that? The recruits and fans eyes are not on Rokfin or Willies twitter so why would a program ever do that? 

His biggest claim to fame is who's number one. Having #1 ranked wrestlers wrestle is not a ground breaking idea, but he takes credit for being the best promoter in the sport. Really? Flosports backed the event and with Willie promoting they were not able to get butts in the seats. They got maybe 3k people in Carver for this event. That has to be one of the worst attended wrestling events at Carver all year and he claims he is the best promoter in the sport, but when no one showed up all he had was excuses. 

Is Willie delusional or am I missing something? Has he actually had a substantial impact on the sport of wrestling?

Edited by russelscout

Strategy and analysis definitely weren’t his strong suit. I thought Willie’s value was he relationships he had, particularly at the prep level in PA? I guess he was also sort of comic relief for Pyles and the other talking heads on FRL.

Anyway people with connections like that in sports like college hoops, who know a guy (or a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy, etc.) at a program or AAU club or whatever who can feed them inside info about recruiting, reax and other fan stuff can make out pretty well. There have been entire websites premised on that.

1 minute ago, pamela said:

Strategy and analysis definitely weren’t his strong suit. I thought Willie’s value was he relationships he had, particularly at the prep level in PA? I guess he was also sort of comic relief for Pyles and the other talking heads on FRL.

Anyway people with connections like that in sports like college hoops, who know a guy (or a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy, etc.) at a program or AAU club or whatever who can feed them inside info about recruiting, reax and other fan stuff can make out pretty well. There have been entire websites premised on that.

So is there any reason to pay a fee to Rokfin and abandon Flo because this guy went to school with Bryan Snyder? The only thing this has led to is him having unrealistic expectations for everyone on Nebbys team. 

I really don’t know what Willie’s new thing is about but: I really love college basketball (no hate, please) but would never pay for those “recruiting” and “insider” websites because their information tends to be wrong as often as they are right, and the most useful stuff makes its way onto social media, messageboards, YouTube, etc. for free anyway. It’s kind of a scam and a model that’s almost designed to collapse upon itself. 

I hope Willie is successful at whatever he does next but yah idk what his value proposition is, and I’m definitely not signing up for anything on that crypto payment platform.

Edited by pamela

Willie provides good content in my opinion, and at flo he did a great job with WNO and flonationals. He’s one of the best out there with a number of others. I’m not signing up for Rokfin though. 

With that said, I think he does the whole “brain” thing in jest because he looks like “brain” from pinky and the brain. Not because he or anyone else actually think that he is some type of great intellect. It’s likely a fun, self deprecating,  thing he does with his fans, not some type of delusion. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

With that said, I think he does the whole “brain” thing in jest because he looks like “brain” from pinky and the brain. Not because he or anyone else actually think that he is some type of great intellect. It’s likely a fun, self deprecating,  thing he does with his fans, not some type of delusion. 

Thanks for the insight. I had never heard that before.

Just now, SamStall365247 said:

Willie has insights and connections that the other personalities don’t have. Though he looks like Gru from Despicable Me, he can relate better to many of the wrestlers. He’s more of an insider whereas most of the other guys are just nerds. 

Ok, where has this paid off to where he has had ground breaking scoops or really deep insights that others have not been able to come too? I have not seen any evidence of this at all. He has not been right about recruits 100% of the time. I hear connections thrown out a lot, but where did this pay off for Flo because I can't think of specific examples. I heard all about how Isiah White was beating Burroughs in the room but that didn't really end up being a thing. I heard how Ridge Lovett was the next big thing and then he got ridden in to the ground by an unranked UNI guy. So really, are there any examples of this superior insight and connections paying off because I just can't think of any.

And as far as nerds go,  Willie live at with his parents, single, overweight, drinks relatively heavy and chews like its going out of style. Not exactly what I would consider as "cool". I have a hard time thinking Willie and Cael or Tom Ryan would have a lot to bond over. Pyles may be a "nerd" in your mind but the dude has his ducks in a row. I would think most coaches who tend to be professional would find it easier to deal with CP than Willie, but then again, what do I know?

The header is “What has Willie Saylor done that was so great?”....he’s promoted the hell out of wrestling!! That’s what he’s done and it’s exactly what our sport needs.  Just as Flo has also. Ive always liked willie, and his insight, but until he has live events I won’t pay for his new bit. I really only have a flo subscription because of the live events, most of the other content I rarely watch.

Edited by Grim Reaper

44 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Willie was a pretty good HS wrestler at Easton (nationally ranked, I believe). And didn't he wrestle a little at Bloomsburg?

Correct.  He was 82-26 at Easton.  Classmates with Brian Snyder and Jamarr Billman (1997), he only wrestled in the post-season twice - winning NE Regional titles each time.  4th at states as a junior.

During their frosh season, Billman was at 103 for the post-season (4th at states), bumping Snyder from the lineup.  During their sophomore season, Snyder was the 103 for post-season (4th at states) and Billman was at 112 (3rd at states).

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/2012/11/catching_up_with_former_easton_6.html 

Edited by lu_alum

Some sports talkers understand that they're entertainers while others "jump the shark" and believe they are special.  I think Willie has confused style with substance.  His willingness to profess his political opinions publicly didn't help him either.  I'm not sure where Willie lands but he's not going to win a battle with Flo.  I'll keep my subscription and ignore him and his ego. 

Incidentally, I love Mike Mal.  He does terrific interviews and his Behind the Dirt segment is original and instructive.  

15 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Tempted to start the “ what the hell has russelscout done for wrestling” my bet would be It’s a lot less then Willie saylor 

Where have I ever claimed that I was the greatest mind in the sport? Have you ever seen me comment on my impact on the sport at all? Thats the difference.