Jump to content
russelscout

What has Willie Saylor done that was so great?

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, russelscout said:

He is always self aggrandizing and calling himself this great mind in the sport. What has he done that was so great because I can't think of anything?

He was a ranking and an opinion on a podcast. Although he was a much needed contrarian at times, I have never heard him say something that really made me go "Wow, Willie really made me rethink everything there." Now he is on twitter just creating drama and claiming that D1 programs are giving him exclusive access to their room. Why? Why would anyone do that? The recruits and fans eyes are not on Rokfin or Willies twitter so why would a program ever do that? 

His biggest claim to fame is who's number one. Having #1 ranked wrestlers wrestle is not a ground breaking idea, but he takes credit for being the best promoter in the sport. Really? Flosports backed the event and with Willie promoting they were not able to get butts in the seats. They got maybe 3k people in Carver for this event. That has to be one of the worst attended wrestling events at Carver all year and he claims he is the best promoter in the sport, but when no one showed up all he had was excuses. 

Is Willie delusional or am I missing something? Has he actually had a substantial impact on the sport of wrestling?

Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Lol it was him! Might be his best take. Agreed

 

31 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think his best take was that graveyards take up too much valuable real estate (I think that was him)

I totally agree with him on this point too. This is actually a significant problem in some countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Guys when I said insider I meant was currently getting a lot of privileged info from inside college programs. Not making judgements about their competitive prowess.

That isn't as fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, FriendlyCamper said:

I would love to see a group of wrestlers create a new platform.

Respectfully, I'm skeptical. Well on one hand this is Flo. On the other hand it's a great idea -- so long as wrestlers-creating-new-platform have got media skills, media savvy, common sense about pricing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jon said:

Respectfully, I'm skeptical. Well on one hand this is Flo. On the other hand it's a great idea -- so long as wrestlers-creating-new-platform have got media skills, media savvy, common sense about pricing.

I’m skeptical too and have no idea what kind of money Flo makes through its wrestling site, but if the $$$ and engagement metrics get big and attractive enough major platforms like ESPN or FS1 could easily take over the space as part of its coverage of combat or college sports - esp since they’ve been trying to squeeze the sponge for any drips of incremental revenue. That’s the risk of Flo’s strategy of covering marginal sports.

ESPN already has its toes dipped in the water and just needs a reason to cover wrestling more comprehensively. They’ve already got the reach, personnel, infrastructure and conference media deals so it wouldn’t exactly be a huge risk.

Sites like Barstool also have good commentary and analysis, plus solid UGC. They just can’t do live event coverage the way Flo and the media networks can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willie can be annoying, but I believe some of that is intentional. Be loved or be hated...it's good for clicks.

He seems well intentioned and overall a good guy and I feel for his situation. I doubt the lawsuit will be effective, but now Willie has to pay attorney fees.

Bad move by Flo IMO. This is only going to turn more people off in our small community. I mean, really, how much damage can Willie do? 

The "premium content" thing makes me chuckle...who are the people that enjoy this stuff for anything other than live events. I tried Flo for a year...it's just not valuable for someone who only watches D1-level + Olympic-level wrestling. I guess if you watch high school wrestling or multiple niche sports maybe it has some value.

I'm OK with my BTN & BTN+ subscription.

Beyond live events my favorite content was the podcast with Askren and Rowlands...but even that I can't imagine as premium content.

Edited by potdangerous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the hate on Willie? He's one of us, a message board warrior that took his views to other platforms but never forgot where he came from. I love the guy and hope the best for him even if I don't always agree with him. He has always worked his ass off to create a lot of content.

As for the self promotion, he's got to put food on the table one way or another and his slightly ironic persona gets the more literal among us up in arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, potdangerous said:

Willie can be annoying, but I believe some of that is intentional. Be loved or be hated...it's good for clicks.

He seems well intentioned and overall a good guy and I feel for his situation.

Do you believe what is good for clicks is good for wrestling? I for one would like to keep the constantly contentious approach out of it. There are enough stories in wrestling. If this is really about promotion let the wrestlers and teams provide that. I fail to see how it makes Willie well intentioned or a good guy when he is being an @$$ just to try to make himself the center of attention when there is so much more going on. He isn't helping the sport when he does that. He is making it all about himself. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ching said:

Why the hate on Willie? He's one of us, a message board warrior that took his views to other platforms but never forgot where he came from. I love the guy and hope the best for him even if I don't always agree with him. He has always worked his ass off to create a lot of content.

As for the self promotion, he's got to put food on the table one way or another and his slightly ironic persona gets the more literal among us up in arms.

I don’t hate Willie, I just think he doesn’t have the leverage he thinks he does. He is also allowing his emotions to make life altering decisions. It’s sad to watch. He needs to stop for his own good. 
  
He quit Flo without a plan. He was planning on leaving anyways, but got cold feet from another offer a few weeks prior to leaving.
 

Then, when he decided to quit on the spot due to disciplinary action (whether right or wrong, you don’t quit jobs based on emotions unless they are doing something illegal or unethical) he decided to pursue the Rofkin content idea. It wasn’t planned out. He didn’t have the business model built, a plan to build his brand on the platform to increase subscribers, content plans, or much else. This isn’t conjecture - read his tweets from around the time he quit. He didn’t have any planning done. 
  
He clearly also didn’t have a lawyer review what he can and can’t do. Non completes are sometimes unenforceable and they are almost always easy to work around, but you can’t just do what you want and then get mad when your former employer tries to enforce it. It sounds like he didn’t even know he was taking a risk. That is really poor business planning. It doesn’t matter if it is fair or not. Ignoring basic risk assessment is ridiculous for someone going out on their own. 
  
Willie is now looking for sympathy and has a fight the man attitude, but that only works when you’ve done your homework. He hasn’t, is refusing to listen to his lawyer, and is going to dig himself into an even deeper hole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Do you believe what is good for clicks is good for wrestling? I for one would like to keep the constantly contentious approach out of it. There are enough stories in wrestling. If this is really about promotion let the wrestlers and teams provide that. I fail to see how it makes Willie well intentioned or a good guy when he is being an @$$ just to try to make himself the center of attention when there is so much more going on. He isn't helping the sport when he does that. He is making it all about himself. 
 

This.

Although let's be real: Flo, not Willie, is the bigger target for critique about self-promotion. And for critique about turning fans away. On social media, Willie turns up the volume; he plays a character. Flo, on the other hand, is just in over its head. There's nothing charming about bad execution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I don’t hate Willie, I just think he doesn’t have the leverage he thinks he does. He is also allowing his emotions to make life altering decisions. It’s sad to watch. He needs to stop for his own good. 
  
He quit Flo without a plan. He was planning on leaving anyways, but got cold feet from another offer a few weeks prior to leaving.
 

Then, when he decided to quit on the spot due to disciplinary action (whether right or wrong, you don’t quit jobs based on emotions unless they are doing something illegal or unethical) he decided to pursue the Rofkin content idea. It wasn’t planned out. He didn’t have the business model built, a plan to build his brand on the platform to increase subscribers, content plans, or much else. This isn’t conjecture - read his tweets from around the time he quit. He didn’t have any planning done. 
  
He clearly also didn’t have a lawyer review what he can and can’t do. Non completes are sometimes unenforceable and they are almost always easy to work around, but you can’t just do what you want and then get mad when your former employer tries to enforce it. It sounds like he didn’t even know he was taking a risk. That is really poor business planning. It doesn’t matter if it is fair or not. Ignoring basic risk assessment is ridiculous for someone going out on their own. 
  
Willie is now looking for sympathy and has a fight the man attitude, but that only works when you’ve done your homework. He hasn’t, is refusing to listen to his lawyer, and is going to dig himself into an even deeper hole. 

Willie is a big boy and can take care of his own problems without the pretend lawyers wringing their hands over his steps or missteps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless how you feel about Willie, the fact that the ceo and board of Flo sports ( people who don’t give a damn about wrestling and probably don’t know anything about wrestling)  are suing him is a terrible thing. I see a lot of people on here mocking and what not but we re talking about billionaire ceo who couldn’t care less about our sport and community suing a guy (love him or hate him) that’s dedicated his entire life to all things wrestling. The mans whole life revolves around wrestling and a parent company is suing him so he can’t cover wrestling anymore and people on here think that’s funny or a good thing? Multi million dollar corporation suing average guy who lives with his parents? Am I only one who sees the issue with this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...