russelscout

What has Willie Saylor done that was so great?

5 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Maybe in Minnesota but there are a lot of prominent wrestlers who are drinking the Koolaid. Harvard NCAA champ Jesse Jantzen, Penn 2xAA Yoshi Nakamura (who went to work for Novo, last I heard), etc.

I didn’t say Novo made all his money in crypto. It didn’t exist when he was already a billionaire so of course he made money before that. He made a lot in Hong Kong as a Goldman Sachs partner then even more as a cofounder of Fortress. He then had an epic downfall and left Fortress and found crypto. At one point, something like 1/3 of his net worth was crypto, so it’s not inaccurate to say he made a fortune with it. He may have lost a lot of that too but I can assure you it wasn’t all of it  

You don’t need to have found crypto early to have made a lot of money. It is incredibly volatile so even in a few days, you can make triple-digit returns with modest leverage. It is basically gambling to trade it. 

He says he made money on it and said a significant portion of his money was in crypto basically after it had already taken off. Whether that is actually true, who knows. The documents that he has had to release show that he has lost a significant amount of money, and for a guy who relies on getting investors to trust him, it is in his self interest to claim he made money even if the documents show otherwise. I trust the documents. 

Also, the Minnesota thing was a J Rob joke.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

55 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

He says he made money on it and said a significant portion of his money was in crypto basically after it had already taken off. Whether that is actually true, who knows. The documents that he has had to release show that he has lost a significant amount of money, and for a guy who relies on getting investors to trust him, it is in his self interest to claim he made money even if the documents show otherwise. I trust the documents. 

this article says Novo has lost a lot in his crypto investments... $272 MILLION ... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-29/novogratz-s-galaxy-digital-posted-272-7-million-loss-in-2018

4 hours ago, BobDole said:

The biggest difference between crypto currency like Bitcoin and the RAE tokens from Rokfin is that there are a limited supply of Bitcoin and there is no limit to how many RAE tokens that will be minted. 

false. RAE is capped at 34,000,000 tokens. 

On 12/1/2019 at 10:16 AM, silvermedal said:

Some sports talkers understand that they're entertainers while others "jump the shark" and believe they are special.  I think Willie has confused style with substance.  His willingness to profess his political opinions publicly didn't help him either.  I'm not sure where Willie lands but he's not going to win a battle with Flo.  I'll keep my subscription and ignore him and his ego. 

Incidentally, I love Mike Mal.  He does terrific interviews and his Behind the Dirt segment is original and instructive.  

Willie's leaving Flo to launch his own thing, or was fired?

If the latter, was he the guy leaving food in the bathroom lol (and it's always a guy doing stuff like that)?

Joking aside, I wasn't expecting to have had such a good high school career, and wish him luck for the future.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:33 AM, Housebuye said:

I don’t hate Willie, I just think he doesn’t have the leverage he thinks he does. He is also allowing his emotions to make life altering decisions. It’s sad to watch. He needs to stop for his own good. 

He quit Flo without a plan. He was planning on leaving anyways, but got cold feet from another offer a few weeks prior to leaving.

Then, when he decided to quit on the spot due to disciplinary action (whether right or wrong, you don’t quit jobs based on emotions unless they are doing something illegal or unethical) he decided to pursue the Rofkin content idea. It wasn’t planned out. He didn’t have the business model built, a plan to build his brand on the platform to increase subscribers, content plans, or much else. This isn’t conjecture - read his tweets from around the time he quit. He didn’t have any planning done. 

He clearly also didn’t have a lawyer review what he can and can’t do. Non completes are sometimes unenforceable and they are almost always easy to work around, but you can’t just do what you want and then get mad when your former employer tries to enforce it. It sounds like he didn’t even know he was taking a risk. That is really poor business planning. It doesn’t matter if it is fair or not. Ignoring basic risk assessment is ridiculous for someone going out on their own. 

Willie is now looking for sympathy and has a fight the man attitude, but that only works when you’ve done your homework. He hasn’t, is refusing to listen to his lawyer, and is going to dig himself into an even deeper hole. 

If this is even remotely accurate, and it certainly isn't hard to believe, I completely agree.  Acting impulsively rarely works out.

Speaking of which, can anyone provide a synopsis regarding what happened?  I'm a few episodes behind on FRL, but everything seemed fine, and since Flo recently built Willie a basement studio, this must have been somewhat unexpected.

1 hour ago, fsu_fan said:

this article says Novo has lost a lot in his crypto investments... $272 MILLION ... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-29/novogratz-s-galaxy-digital-posted-272-7-million-loss-in-2018

That’s his firm, not him. Also, we can’t judge lifetime investment or trading results on one fiscal year worth of data. It’s impossible to do that. I believe he has made money in crypto (personally) since first getting involved, but as Billy said already there is no way to know from the outside  

Anyway, I only brought him up because he is very influential in the wrestling community and is a strong believer in the asset class. I know several high profile wrestlers who cite him as an influencer for their personal interest in crypto. In other words, whether any of us believes in the Rofkin model or not (I personally do not, if that wasn’t clear), there are those who clearly do and others who might be suspending disbelief before deciding how they feel. I’m NOT saying Novo likes RAE. But some of the projects he’s backed are even more ridiculous in my opinion, so who knows. 

I really did think this was some sort of publicity stunt to drive clicks & traffic to Willie’s new site (and social media and mentions and shares etc.). If it isn’t, I agree that he should consider how it reflects upon him in the public sphere.

If Willie’s Rockfin thing isn’t working out he should be flexing his network and connections - I have to believe it is vast and impressive - and connect with Robles, Askren, JB (our JB), M2, etc. to make inroads at a media network, podcast or other wrestling organization. He could build something much bigger, more successful and lucrative than his gig at Flo. But he needs to build off of his work, not burn bridges or scorch the earth. 

31 minutes ago, pamela said:

I really did think this was some sort of publicity stunt to drive clicks & traffic to Willie’s new site (and social media and mentions and shares etc.). If it isn’t, I agree that he should consider how it reflects upon him in the public sphere.

If Willie’s Rockfin thing isn’t working out he should be flexing his network and connections - I have to believe it is vast and impressive - and connect with Robles, Askren, JB (our JB), M2, etc. to make inroads at a media network, podcast or other wrestling organization. He could build something much bigger, more successful and lucrative than his gig at Flo. But he needs to build off of his work, not burn bridges or scorch the earth. 

You should share that reefer you are clearly smoking with the rest of us.  Willie sailor, a mouth piece and not much else, could start something much bigger and more successful than flo? Scratch that. Maybe it’s not weed you are smoking but crack instead. 

On 12/2/2019 at 4:33 PM, Housebuye said:

I don’t hate Willie, I just think he doesn’t have the leverage he thinks he does. He is also allowing his emotions to make life altering decisions. It’s sad to watch. He needs to stop for his own good. 

He quit Flo without a plan. He was planning on leaving anyways, but got cold feet from another offer a few weeks prior to leaving.

Then, when he decided to quit on the spot due to disciplinary action (whether right or wrong, you don’t quit jobs based on emotions unless they are doing something illegal or unethical) he decided to pursue the Rofkin content idea. It wasn’t planned out. He didn’t have the business model built, a plan to build his brand on the platform to increase subscribers, content plans, or much else. This isn’t conjecture - read his tweets from around the time he quit. He didn’t have any planning done. 

He clearly also didn’t have a lawyer review what he can and can’t do. Non completes are sometimes unenforceable and they are almost always easy to work around, but you can’t just do what you want and then get mad when your former employer tries to enforce it. It sounds like he didn’t even know he was taking a risk. That is really poor business planning. It doesn’t matter if it is fair or not. Ignoring basic risk assessment is ridiculous for someone going out on their own. 

Willie is now looking for sympathy and has a fight the man attitude, but that only works when you’ve done your homework. He hasn’t, is refusing to listen to his lawyer, and is going to dig himself into an even deeper hole. 

Wow, this is a great post and it articulates all my thoughts far more clearly than I could have communicated them.

21 hours ago, pamela said:

Flo's influence on wrestling is overstated. they only have 35,000 active subscribers globally. think of how many wrestlers there are in the world and they have 35,000 subscribers...  the audience is tiny. they talk about "growing the sport".. they have done no such thing. They've made money for themselves which is admirable but stop the "we want to grow the sport" BS. They've made it more difficult to follow the sport.

Willie was the brains of the rankings and the overall direction of the site... if Flo loses Pyles, they're done. 

56 minutes ago, fsu_fan said:

Flo's influence on wrestling is overstated. they only have 35,000 active subscribers globally. think of how many wrestlers there are in the world and they have 35,000 subscribers...  the audience is tiny. they talk about "growing the sport".. they have done no such thing. They've made money for themselves which is admirable but stop the "we want to grow the sport" BS. They've made it more difficult to follow the sport.

Willie was the brains of the rankings and the overall direction of the site... if Flo loses Pyles, they're done. 

60,000 is what I was told 

They've made it more difficult to follow the sport.

It was at this point you revealed yourself to be talking out of your ass.  There's a lot of things to say about Flo, but making the sport MORE difficult to follow is an asinine thing to say.

20 hours ago, calot said:

60,000 was recently and I was expecting a number much higher 

so let's say it's 60k and 33% of their subscribers watch the US Open ... 20k people watch one of the biggest events of the year. Probably the biggest event of the year in terms of new customers for flo. How is that "growing the sport"? When the NCAAs are on ESPN, they draw 600k, 700k+.. plus all the digital viewership on espn3 from the preliminary and consolation rounds. 

so let's say it's 60k and 33% of their subscribers watch the US Open ... 20k people watch one of the biggest events of the year. Probably the biggest event of the year in terms of new customers for flo. How is that "growing the sport"? When the NCAAs are on ESPN, they draw 600k, 700k+.. plus all the digital viewership on espn3 from the preliminary and consolation rounds. 

I don’t like the “grow the sport” chest beating either but let’s be fair too. If Flo covered the NCAAs and ESPN covered the US Open, Flo would trounce ESPN. The events are simply incomparable. A better comparison is US Open viewership before and after Flo. If anything close to 20K fans watch the Us Open, Flo would have increased its viewership by an order of magnitude. I’m one of those older guys who used to make the trip to Vegas every year and cannot ever remember a crowd much bigger than mid-thousands. Streaming is a game-changer. I don’t know about growing the sport (although I bet they have in fact contributed there) but Flo has certainly increased engagement of the existing fan base dramatically.