Sign in to follow this  
LordNelson

tOSO vCornell

4 minutes ago, ugarte said:

to be fair he was a two-year starter at 125 (just missed being NQ both years, blocked by Cruz, but I guess Baughman didn't earn an AQ for the conference soooooo) and last year i don't think he could make the cut again and was blocked by Tucker at 133. Still blocked at 133 but 141 opened up.

I change my mind. Pletcher looked like a national champ then. 

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I change my mind. Pletcher looked like a national champ then. 

well... i was just defending baughman. he's had back to back losses to pletcher and wilson but i expected both to be blowouts and he kept them both pretty close. i don't think he's a threat to steal a title but i'm starting to think he may be a threat to ruin someone's ncaa tournament.

Edited by ugarte

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’m just busting your balls. I know Baughman is tough. Kid is all heart and I love him for it. That said, Pletcher was unimpressive, to say the least. 

Unimpressive in the way he wins can basically describe his entire career. He beats average guys  6-5 and elite guys 6-5. 

Dual meets are not a good indicator of anything.  Pletcher and Sasso will be ready when it counts.  Kaleb Romero has gotten much better at avoiding situations where he is not comfortable wrestling and that has made all the difference.  Plus he's at the correct weight.  

Cornell does a great job of taking lesser valued recruits and teaching them how to compete strategically.  They know how to stay in a match and give themselves an opportunity.  

16 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Is that negative? Not too familiar with Chavez, but Yapoujian is off to a good start.

No. Just a guy people forget about that can mess up brackets.  He wrestles a totally different style than John Jay but is very difficult to beat.  157 like many other weights has plenty of room for shake ups and he could be one of them. 

2 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Dual meets are not a good indicator of anything.  Pletcher and Sasso will be ready when it counts.  Kaleb Romero has gotten much better at avoiding situations where he is not comfortable wrestling and that has made all the difference.  Plus he's at the correct weight.  

Cornell does a great job of taking lesser valued recruits and teaching them how to compete strategically.  They know how to stay in a match and give themselves an opportunity.  

Disagree.

Yesterday they indicated that Sasso doesn't have a 3rd period.  Sasso has been decking guys his whole career and may have issues in 7 minute matches.  David Taylor has this issue but it only showed up with one opponent because no one else could take it the distance with him.  Sasso has a ways to go still to silence the doubters.  

Pletcher, new weight, same dude.  Baughman is definitely underrated but he never separates himself.  On any day he wins it or takes 7th, depends on who gets the key takedown. 

I thought the dual was actually fairly entertaining, despite it having basically zero marquee matchups.  

- Cornell knows they don't have that much this year, but they're solid at most weights and wrestle hard.  Great fight from Baughman and Hunter in particular, and even Loew sneaking a TD on Moore to open their match.  

- Pletcher didn't look great, but I was pretty impressed by Baughman.  Didn't look undersized, and tough to finish on.  He had Pletcher scared after he countered for his own TD.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him do well in Vegas. 

- Not sure what's up with Sasso.  The guy that was pushing the pace firing off multiple attacks in the third period earlier this season isn't there right now.  And if he's not going to be attacking, he's way too comfortable giving up his legs.  

- Smith and Romero were bright spots.  Smith because his gas tanked looked good and he seems to be handling the weight.  Romero because Womack is sort of a gate keeper in that round of 12 zone. 

5 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

sasso didn't have any gas tank issues at the MSU Open.  Duals are different animals.  

Fair enough, but he's hit similar walls before--vs. Brayton Lee at trials comes to mind.  

By all accounts, he's been working like an absolute dog, and cardio was a focus for him coming into the season.  At MSU he looked like he had a huge tank.  Yesterday his lungs fell off a cliff.  No reason to panic, but that's now 3 matches in a row wrestling well below what I think most people believe to be his ability. 

CKLV will be an important test. 

1 hour ago, LordNelson said:

No. Just a guy people forget about that can mess up brackets.  He wrestles a totally different style than John Jay but is very difficult to beat.  157 like many other weights has plenty of room for shake ups and he could be one of them. 

Chavez took 7th in 2018 from the 16 seed beating the 11 and 8 seeds in consolations; lost to IMar in the second round.

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I thought the dual was actually fairly entertaining, despite it having basically zero marquee matchups.  

- Cornell knows they don't have that much this year, but they're solid at most weights and wrestle hard.  Great fight from Baughman and Hunter in particular, and even Loew sneaking a TD on Moore to open their match.  

- Pletcher didn't look great, but I was pretty impressed by Baughman.  Didn't look undersized, and tough to finish on.  He had Pletcher scared after he countered for his own TD.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him do well in Vegas. 

- Not sure what's up with Sasso.  The guy that was pushing the pace firing off multiple attacks in the third period earlier this season isn't there right now.  And if he's not going to be attacking, he's way too comfortable giving up his legs.  

- Smith and Romero were bright spots.  Smith because his gas tanked looked good and he seems to be handling the weight.  Romero because Womack is sort of a gate keeper in that round of 12 zone. 

Baughman was 133 last year (so he's not a 125er "bumping up two weight classes"), and he's put on a noticeable amount of muscle.

Oh, and ask Piccinninni about Baughman's ability to scramble.  :-)

4 hours ago, klehner said:

Chavez took 7th in 2018 from the 16 seed beating the 11 and 8 seeds in consolations; lost to IMar in the second round.

Yeah I know, I was there broseph.  Not many had him to perform at that level.  He was a kitchen sink wrestler and I couldn't take my eyes off of him.  He was also kicked out of the wrestling house for that last month of that season, literally living in the woods/homeless by choice.  Dude always beat to his own drum.  He wanted to go 174 last season but it never worked out.  Womack just didn't want to make the 165 cut and was in good standing on all accounts with the team, Chavez apparently wasn't.

There is rumor that Womack is considering the cut this season.  There are also some other rumors flying about their line up but I'll save those for later.

16 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Stroker is listed as certified for Cornell in the OPC but I don't see him on the online roster.

Whoa ... he was in Koll's season preview and I'm pretty sure he used to be on the online roster. I wonder if he's going back in the portal or maybe he had/soon will have enough credits to graduate?

7 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Whoa ... he was in Koll's season preview and I'm pretty sure he used to be on the online roster. I wonder if he's going back in the portal or maybe he had/soon will have enough credits to graduate?

Yes, that is odd.  Had to go look to confirm it myself.

5 hours ago, LordNelson said:

Not sure Freddy makes the lineup in February but we will see.

is he taking a semester off in the traditional ivy stretch-the-eligibility fashion?

Edited by ugarte