wrestlingnerd

Damn, that was impressive

You watch that match, and it just seems so obvious that someone who feeds his leg like gross should never win a match.....
Eierman basically baits guys into grabbing his leg and he has won a lot of matches that way (including against Yianni). But it sounds like Gross might not be so good with that strategy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, Rich-JerseyStrong said:

I thought the Cassioppi win over Hilger was even more impressive.  True freshman over a sophomore AA. 

That was a good one too but it was hard to fathom a 3 TD to 0 win giving up 0 points on bottom against a guy that just crushed his first Olympic cycle tournament in freestyle and is arguably the best top wrestler in the country. The knock on Desanto has been that he sucks from bottom and is predictable from the feet. It wasn’t necessarily the win as much as how he won that was particularly impressive. 

I was surprised DeSanto was able to control the hand fight the way he did.  Gross generates so much of his neutral offense from his two-on-one, and after a couple of chances in the first that DeSanto was able to stalemate, he never really got back to it.  Felt like he knew he was beat.  

I don't know that a second match goes exactly the same way, but DeSanto is all-in on this season, and Gross is splitting his time and focus with free, folk, weight cut, etc.  

Gross bullied just about everyone a couple weeks ago, but it appears that advantage disappears somewhat at 133.  

42 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I was surprised DeSanto was able to control the hand fight the way he did.  Gross generates so much of his neutral offense from his two-on-one, and after a couple of chances in the first that DeSanto was able to stalemate, he never really got back to it.  Felt like he knew he was beat.  

I don't know that a second match goes exactly the same way, but DeSanto is all-in on this season, and Gross is splitting his time and focus with free, folk, weight cut, etc.  

Gross bullied just about everyone a couple weeks ago, but it appears that advantage disappears somewhat at 133.  

I think what really stuck out to me was Desanto's scrambling ability. I figured this would be an area that would be owned but Gross, but AD looked comfortable forcing a stalemate with Gross deep on a shot.

I was also pretty shocked to see Desanto try to hop over top of Gross in the first period. It didn't amount to anything, but said a lot about where AD's mindset was in this match. That is a high risk move and he just went for it against #1 guy and former champ who was highly favored. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by AD going after it with reckless abandon, but I bet even Gross didn't see the multiple attacks coming. 

Finally I was very impressed that Desanto was able to finish the way he did. Getting to Gross's legs are never the issue, it is finishing and he seemed to do so with relative ease.

I don't know that I saw his size at 133 as the major factor here. It seemed to be poor tactics on his part and a well wrestled match by AD. I bet Gross still steamrolls the rest of the weight. Maybe AD has just improved that much.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

The problem with picking Gross to win this match at NCAAs is that will be shortly before the OTT, and he's going to have to be keeping his weight lower than normal so he can make that final descent to 57 kg.

Yeah I can't bring myself to take seriously any of these people claiming they are gonna be peak for NCAAs and show up at the OTTs two weeks later. It ain't practical.

4 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Yeah I can't bring myself to take seriously any of these people claiming they are gonna be peak for NCAAs and show up at the OTTs two weeks later. It ain't practical.

The fortunate thing for a guy like Lee (who I know you also aren't taking seriously as an Olympic threat) is that he's not going to have to cut a bunch.  However, I also have a hard time seeing him making the team.  I think we're going to see an odd situation where Gross loses the NCAA tournament then wins the Olympic spot two weeks later.

That’s not that odd. Fix lost to Suriano last year and then win the World team spot. But I don’t see Gross getting it done. He’ll be heavily scouted and just not as peaked as the top guys focusing on FS. It’s one thing to have two peaks in a month, or B1G then NCAAs. But three just has to take a lot out of you. Gross can’t really train through B1G like Fix might’ve done. He’ll have to be in peak form to take out Desanto and then again at NCAAs and then again at OTT. For a guy with a monster cut, pretty much impossible. 

36 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

That’s not that odd. Fix lost to Suriano last year and then win the World team spot. But I don’t see Gross getting it done. He’ll be heavily scouted and just not as peaked as the top guys focusing on FS. It’s one thing to have two peaks in a month, or B1G then NCAAs. But three just has to take a lot out of you. Gross can’t really train through B1G like Fix might’ve done. He’ll have to be in peak form to take out Desanto and then again at NCAAs and then again at OTT. For a guy with a monster cut, pretty much impossible. 

I'm not saying the situation itself is necessarily odd, just the timeframe.  GIlman did the same thing two years prior.  But to lose the NCAA tournament but then win the OTT two weeks later will just look odd to me.  Fix and Gilman, for example, won their spots months after losing at the tournament.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I'm not saying the situation itself is necessarily odd, just the timeframe.  GIlman did the same thing two years prior.  But to lose the NCAA tournament but then win the OTT two weeks later will just look odd to me.  Fix and Gilman, for example, won their spots months after losing at the tournament.

Got it and agree. I can’t see Gross winning the spot through. As Brands said in the post-dual conference, Iowa knows Gross well. So far, good track record of preparing for him, with Clark and Desanto both winning convincingly. I think he loses to either Gilman or Lee if he faces them and it’s highly likely he’ll hit at least one of them, in my opinion. 

Guessing it's not so easy competing at 125.4 lbs (57kg) against world class freestylers then jumping to 133 two weeks later to wrestle top notch NCAA competition. 

DeSanto put on a great show. The crowd loved it. Got a kick out of it when DeSanto almost apologized or reassured the crowd he was under control after Gross cranked his arm at the end.   :D       

7 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Got it and agree. I can’t see Gross winning the spot through. As Brands said in the post-dual conference, Iowa knows Gross well. So far, good track record of preparing for him, with Clark and Desanto both winning convincingly. I think he loses to either Gilman or Lee if he faces them and it’s highly likely he’ll hit at least one of them, in my opinion. 

Yeah, I could just be a prisoner of what I saw at Farrell.  He just mashed some legit guys.  That size is incredible at that weight.