Sign in to follow this  
KR1963

Everything PSU Blog

What a lack of institutional control at PSU. Just read the grand jury testimony. Curley is done. While this doesn't involve wrestling this will have gigantic ramifications for the entire Atheltic program imo. All my PSU football memories as a child and considering JoePa as a God as a kid. Dead to me.

As I've said before, PSU is the UNLV of Wrestling. Cael may be a great guy but he runs a very loose program.

Hatchet Jack, in fairness, the one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. While Cael may, for the sake of argument only, run a "very loose program", this business with Curley and Sandusky doesn't remotely prove that. Besides which, it's a real stretch for me to see Cael as Tark the Shark.

That said, I agree with Juggernaut that this may have far reaching consequences for the entire athletic department, unfortunately. And hey, if things get bad enough, Cael could always take his considerable talents elsewhere.

As I've said before, PSU is the UNLV of Wrestling. Cael may be a great guy but he runs a very loose program.
Are there just ping pong balls of words bouncing around inside of your brain today, that just make you spout thoughts like one of those said balls coming randomly out of a Lotto machine?

Sorry if the post seems negative. If I am a die hard PSU fan, I would not want to hear anything bad about my program. However, I don't think it is a stretch to refer to the program as a bit loose by comparison to the other D1 programs across the US.

i wouldn't say it's a 'loose ship' at all.

certainly not as loose as the fritz era, and undoubtedly tighter than the sunderland reign.

you and i have no idea what any of the team rules are or how or what cael says to his athletes.

if kids do stupid things and get in trouble its a 'loose ship'. if they don't, everything is a-ok.

look at it this way: how many parents do you know that do everything in their power to make a good environment for their children only to see them make mistakes?

it's on the individuals.

Sorry if the post seems negative. If I am a die hard PSU fan, I would not want to hear anything bad about my program. However, I don't think it is a stretch to refer to the program as a bit loose by comparison to the other D1 programs across the US.
And you know this b/c? You live in State College & go to practice everyday? U read the newspapers?

What you may not know is that after the Summer, the wrestlers called their OWN meeting, sans coaches. DT & Tank basically got the team's agreement & laid down the law: no more F-ups. I think that reflects well upon the "adults" when the "kids" have learned to take responsibility for themselves.

From PAT D:

UPDATED

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; November 7, 2011 – SIX members of Penn State’s wrestling team competed unattached at the 2011 Clarion Knight Point Open on Sunday. True freshmen Jordan Conaway (Abbottstown, Pa.) and Luke Frey (Montoursville, Pa.) and sophomore Andrew Church (Erie, Pa.) each placed at their respective weights.

Frey, a true freshman from Montoursville, took the runner-up spot at 141, advancing to the finals with three wins including a major and a tech fall before dropping a 5-1 decision in the finals to unattached Daniel Neff. Conaway, an Abbottstown native, placed third at 125 with a 4-1 mark that included two tech falls and a 13-7 loss in the semifinals to the eventual champion. Church, an Erie native, went 3-1 at 174 and advanced to the finals before losing to take the runner-up spot.

Other Nittany Lions competing included Michael Waters (Advance, N.C.), who went 2-2 at 141; Brandon Phillips (Timonium, Md.), who went 2-2 at 174; and Collin Campbell (Hurdle Mills, N.C.), who went 2-2 at heavyweight.

I assume all the deleted posts are related to the Sandusky thing at PSU.

I just saw a question on WR.com, that I think is related to wrestling and the situation. That is since Cael was recruited to PSU by Curley, has anyone asked him his thoughts on the situation? If so, what are they? If not, why not?

Wow, we truly are becoming Cuba. We can't talk about the Sandusky issue because...why? Google Penn State and it is everywhere. Listen to talk radio and it is everywhere. Come to the Mat.Com, and you better not talk about Penn State football.

I grow sick of this censorship BS. The problem isn't those talking about how it can relate to the PSU wrestling program, but the comments deleted had nothing to do with anything, they were just barbs and replies to barbs.

If you want to talk unfiltered and take potshots, there are other places to do that. If you want to talk football, there are other places to do that. If you want to talk wrestling, and keep it relevant and clean, then by all means, post away.

Very little good can come out of any discussion related to what's going on with PSU's former football assistant. There are already several vultures swirling ready to take hateful shots at people who had nothing to do with this horrible situation.

So if you think that's asking too much, then post elsewhere. You have plenty of options to spew venom other places. This isn't one of them.

This isn't google, this is a wrestling message board. Nearly every newspaper has a section to comment, do it there.

Thankfully. None of this is wrestling related.

Actually, I've been hearing on talk radio today that Sandusky was close to the wrestling program.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, everything has come out due to an incident at a local high school involving Sandusky and the wrestling program - I believe it is actually Central Mountain, a school very familiar to all of us. Apparently Sandusky got caught fondling boys, and claimed he was teaching them "wrestling moves". Guy needs to be put out of his misery.

I still don't think it has anything to do with the PSU wrestling program. Thankfully.

Unless, they get a new AD who could care less about minor sports. Trickle down effect worries me. When the local Seattle news programs have it as a Lead-in story ... Not Good.

Wasn't the current AD a big supporter of Wrestling? If so ... That is a "rare bird" to say the least.

The first amendment only protects people against government censorship. If you are not happy with how a privately-owned message board regulates your speech, the answer is to start your own. And if you do start your own, the first amendment won't force you to let people say anything they want to say on your message board. The first amendment will merely allow people who disagree with you to start their own message boards.