Sign in to follow this  
KR1963

Everything PSU Blog

Tiger-You seriously never disappoint bro. For some reason I just imagine you as being pleased with todays performance. Your right Tigs Penn St. looked solid.

Seriously though, how in the hell do you win 4 matches against Cornell and 7 against Penn St.? Kudos to Minne today, but they have to want some of the matches back from Friday. Dardanes in particular.

Either there was an edit or someone is trolling. Where does it say that Penn State looked solid?

Seriously I think you guys need to relax, some of us are just focusing more on what little positives were provided today.

They weren't likely going to beat IA, but this one was a winnable dual.

Like I said in an earlier post, this will be a good dual to look back on and see what development, if any, these guys make. (Both teams)

Either there was an edit or someone is trolling. Where does it say that Penn State looked solid?

Seriously I think you guys need to relax, some of us are just focusing more on what little positives were provided today.

Like I said in an earlier post, this will be a good dual to look back on and see what development, if any, these guys make. (Both teams)

two-six, I was rooting for PSU But I like I'm sure many Posters are Glad to see Posters like "ctmopar" get there Big Foot shoved in there Traps {It's the Nature of the Beast} :oops:

Tiger-You seriously never disappoint bro. For some reason I just imagine you as being pleased with todays performance. Your right Tigs Penn St. looked solid.

Seriously though, how in the hell do you win 4 matches against Cornell and 7 against Penn St.? Kudos to Minne today, but they have to want some of the matches back from Friday. Dardanes in particular.

Sorry to disappoint you Gonzo, I'm just not a "the sky is falling" kind of guy........

It seems you're trollish nature has become so bad that you are imagining things; where did I say Penn State looked solid?

Pretty disappointing performance. Not upset with the four freshmen, since they are freshmen.

Mostly disappointed with Quentin and Cam Wade. Pretty flat performance in huge home dual meet from a fourth and fifth year guy.

If McIntosh just gives the escape and moves to the center of the mat, he wins. Yohn kept going and won, but probably does not help his confidence any.

I think Dylan Alton also wrestled well. Deitchler is tough, and Alton had a chance.

If I was a PSU fan, I would be most disappointed in Q and Frank "the tank".

Q has to get it done.

Tank has to major the frosh with a 6-0 lead and not turn it into a match.

Agree with Tiger, still early and nothing to hit the panic button over.

Here is my run down:

125: Sanders being Sanders

133: Thorn is Thorn

141: Dardanes is Dardanes

149: Ness darn well was almost Molinaro

157: Dietchler being Dietchler

165: Unicorns being Unicorns. Amazing.

174: Ruth was being Ruth

184: Preseason Wright is Preseason Wright

197: Yohn was being Yohn

HWT: Nelson is Nelson.

Analysis: Minnesota was Minnesota for this one.

My 2 cents:

125- Nico will end up in the same boat as Andrew Alton last year, may possibly slip to low AA status. He didn't look horrible against Sanders but also gave nothing to cheer for.

133- It's amazing what that one missing piece will do. It's unfortunate what happened in the offseason, to top it off no time to recruit there. It will be a long year here.

141- He straight gassed and got beat. Not super excited about this weight either.

149- Frank started off great but looked very gassed at the end. Had that gone a bit longer - who knows what happened. That match was left on a bad note from Frank.

157- Dylan will be ok but needs some major conditioning. I'm not sure he AA's this year. Atleast he had that RS year though that Andrew didn't.

165- DT made this #8 ranked kid look like he doesn't belong on the same mat. It's scary what DT does this year.

174- Good showing by RUTH - but I would bet PSU gets 4 points at most if Storley is in the lineup.

189- If that Q stays around - he may be wrestling for 5th / 6th. I don't buy into the hype of starting slow / finishing strong. But hopefully.

197- MM looks like he will be very very good - but needs to develop into a man at this weight. Almost snuck away but a true vet in Yohn showed it's not over till it's over.

285- I'm ready to start looking to the future.

Overall - not impressed with today but so ready for the future.

A Super young lineup with studs continuing to pile in. Hopefully we get a Chance Marstellar committement before too long!

You people are crazy questioning Molinaro's gas tank and/or abilities. He looked great.

Give Ness at least a little bit of credit. Frank was laying it on him an he refused to give up. He wasn't getting majored. The kid is very good, refused to quit, and showed a little heart.

As far as Frank is concerned, he basically piss-pounded a very good wrestler. If he wasn't going after the major, he never would have allowed the takedowns and scrambles at the end. Did you guys even watch the first 6 minutes of the match???

Look - I clearly said he looked great at the beginning. He looked good most of the match. I just said had that gone a bit longer - who knows.

Going for the major or not, regardless, he was getting outwrestled at the end and it's nothing I would expect from a 149 lb pound national champion.

Tigs-I know I pour it on you because you DO always apologize for Penn St. shortcomings. I don't want to be friends because I enjoy our back and forths but your usage of troll is a real nutshot. I've been on these boards for years. I'm a real fan. I don't call you a troll and I'd appreciate the same in return. Lets agree to keep it real. I assume you agree Penn St. looked awful today.

Jersey, x 2

Molinaro takes way too much heat. The guy has improved every year and is one of the hardest workers on the team. People love to dump on him because he didn't get a major or made a bad decision in the finals last year, but he may very well be on his way to becoming a 4x AA and national champ. How many wrestlers can say that?

Rodney, did you miss the takedown at the end by Molinaro because your comments really don't make any sense.

Tigs-I know I pour it on you because you DO always apologize for Penn St. shortcomings. I don't want to be friends because I enjoy our back and forths but your usage of troll is a real nutshot. I've been on these boards for years. I'm a real fan. I don't call you a troll and I'd appreciate the same in return. Lets agree to keep it real. I assume you agree Penn St. looked awful today.

Gonzo, it's hard to tell if your comments are good natured or mean spirited sometimes. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here on out although I am scratching my head on the "apologist" comment. Can you give me some examples because I just don't understand what you are talking about.

Jersey, x 2

Molinaro takes way too much heat. The guy has improved every year and is one of the hardest workers on the team. People love to dump on him because he didn't get a major or made a bad decision in the finals last year, but he may very well be on his way to becoming a 4x AA and national champ. How many wrestlers can say that?

Rodney, did you miss the takedown at the end by Molinaro because your comments really don't make any sense.

Agree.

Molinaro such a hard worker and in great condition. All these guys are saying he was gassed, but with :08 left, he got another takedown to win it by 6 with RT. How about giving Ness some credit instead of dumping on Frank?

If the PSU fans are looking for bad performances, they should be looking at Sherlock and Alton. Sherlock flat out quit. Alton was dominated.

Here's my notes I posted on the PSU Scout site. I apologize in advance if they are not negative enough Gonzo ;)

125: Nico wrestled tuff against a top notch opponent. Sanders wrestled heavy on the head and took Mega out of his offense. He is already at a good level and will only get better....B

133: Reber is simply not starting material in the Big Ten. I mean no disrespect here, just being honest....D

141: Sherlock was backing up the whole match and just looked terrible. If he continues to wrestle like this, he won't even qualify for nationals...F

149: Frankie wrestled really well against the highly touted freshman until the last minute when he got sloppy trying to force a major...A-

157: D. Alton was looking good for the first half of the match, then hit the wall. Once he can put together a full 7 minutes, he will be tuff to beat. C-

165: Looks like the transition to 165 will be very smooth as DT picks up here he left off last year. I thought he had the fall. A+

174: Ed gets much needed bonus points with the fall...A+

184: Biggest head scratcher of the night. No offense, always a step behind. Well at least we know he can turn it around...D......btw, there really seems to be a connection between how Q does and the team as a whole.

197: Wrestled a great match and had a win against the #2 guy, then let up and got caught fixing his headgear at a critical moment. Freshman mistake; he is really good and will only get better...A-

285: Wade looks slow and heavy. He is coming off a serious injury so can't be too critical here. Lets just hope he improves as the season goes on. C-

Tigs-Actually not that bad an analysis for a Penn St. fan. Seriously. However, if you reread your comments its easy to see how I would call you an "apologist". Listen I love the fans. I'm a fan. I'm an Iowa fan. I'm an Ed Ruth fan. Sometimes I guess I think your analysis is too homered.

Did you catch my analysis, Gonzo?

Here is my run down:

125: Sanders being Sanders

133: Thorn is Thorn

141: Dardanes is Dardanes

149: Ness darn well was almost Molinaro

157: Dietchler being Dietchler

165: Unicorns being Unicorns. Amazing.

174: Ruth was being Ruth

184: Preseason Wright is Preseason Wright

197: Yohn was being Yohn

HWT: Nelson is Nelson.

Analysis: Minnesota was Minnesota for this one.

two-six,

I don't know what match you were watching. PSU looked awful. 3/4 of the team gassed, and another half had terrible offense. Looka at the takedown disparity.

Nico wrestled tough for only his second match, and versus a true stud. Good motion, tough loss

Reber is terrible. You're gonna continue to get beaten up when you keep your head down like that.

Dunno what you saw from sherlock. All of his attacks were half attempted and the rest of the match he was backing out. Gassed

Molinaro's offense is #1 worthy, just got a little sloppy when he started looking for the bonus.

Alton, gassed obviously. His HC should have been clicking all day on deitchler, stopped finishing it after his first one.

DT and Ruth... showed up

Q- Didn't show up. Don't know if I saw a real offensive attempt by him all match. Very unimpressed.

MM played Yohn out perfectly and did what he had to do to win the match up until the 6:40 mark... maybe needs a little dancing lessons

Wade... didn't do a damn thing

I thought they looked terrible, even though the season is still young. The need the open to tune up, but the way they looked, Lehigh will be tough, and hell even my alma mater wvu will give a bunch of the guys a run in their matches. And that's coming from someone who has rooted for psu wrestling his whole life

Seriously talk about glass half full. I hope the PSU coaching saw what two-six saw. If they did, it will be a 4 team race this year. Cornell, Iowa, OSU and Minnesota. I saw a team that looked like they spent the summer enjoying the spoils of a national title and has more then their fair share of work cut out for them to defend it.

125 - Nico looks like a kid that desperately needed a redshirt to compete with the top guys. Was never really close to scoring.

133 - long year here.

141 - I would full expect to see Pearsall in there from here on out after that performance.

149 - Not sure I would be thrilled with this performance if I was a PSU fan. Frank is a stud but his match strategy seems baffling many times.

157 - Dylan Alton = Andrew Alton minus being dangerous from neutral = guys not being afraid to open up against him = a season full of what you saw today.

165 - Phenom

174 - Not sure you can learn anything from this match.

184 - Dr Jekel / Mr Hyde - Hard to chalk up points for him at nationals when you know he can come out like this anytime.

197 - I think you are going to see a season full of matches like this for this kid. Looks tough to score on but seems to also be pretty content to stand around with guys.

HWT - Looks to have taken a step back from last year

Who did Iowa wrestle this weekend???

two-six, I was rooting for PSU But I like I'm sure many Posters are Glad to see Posters like "ctmopar" get there Big Foot shoved in there Traps {It's the Nature of the Beast} :oops:

Olderfan I see you are making a commitment to follow college wrestling more closely...You and Billy can pay attention as time progresses...Iowa may want to listen to Mr. Gable's advice...March will be here before you know it!!!

Word is that Dylan was wrestling under the weather. 3rd place isn't to bad for a true freshamn who was sick.

Here is the 2nd part of the Quentin interview:

20 questions+: Quentin Wright - Part Two

KR1963, how about today, everyone Healthy

:?:

As far as I know there were NO health issues. Wade & Ed off knee injuries & were both good. I am seriously scratching my head so much I just realized I now have dandruff....

I am definitely looking forward to seeing what happens at the Scuffle with Minny, Cornell & PSU all showing up.

Sanders being Sanders, Nico learning what it is to be in the B1G.

Martelotti will hopefully be in the line up for the Scuffle. I like Derek's heart but he just not up to the competition level. I do not know if that will change in a month. Thorn wrestling tough.

I am hoping that Sam is not going to go the head case route that Kemerer went. Nick did not look the same as Friday.

How do you go from looking like you are going to get the bonus, being up 6-0 after 2 & then wrestle to a 10-10 tie in the 3rd? Wts. Ness like Dardenes looking a bit jekyll & Hyde-ish.

Dylan looking like he gassed mid-3rd. I am wondering if a little more conditioning needs to happen in the room. Usually PSU conditions just by wrestling more, not by running steps or laps at Rec Hall.

Oh-kaaaay...

Ed...

The whole state of PA is wondering. KS looked like he should have Majored by Bosak on Friday. wtph

MM out wrestled Yohn for 6:45. Not good enough. Welcome to the B1g again Freshman.

See 184. Is this the pattern we are going to see? Alternating wins with B1G arch rivals out of 2 upperclassmen?

Team

Welcome to an early season wake up call: a solid punch in the mouth. Not a knock out punch at all, but you can taste blood, your lower lip is stuck between your teeth & your jaw needs to be put back in place by your local chiropractor. Silver lining? It's November. Be thankful that God invented stitches & the final bell doesn't ring until March. Round 2 is in 6 weeks.