149 #1 Molinaro MD Friedley 10-3

157 #3 Welch dec #6 Alton 10-6

165 #1 Taylor fall Harger 16-6

174 #1 Ruth dec #9 Munster 19-6

184 #3 Wright fall Kellogg 25-6 Clinches Dual

197 #16 McIntosh dec Schoen 28-6

285 #6 Wade dec #17 McMullan 31-6 Upset here would not surprise me

Nico & Dylan are capable enough to win their matches

The way Morgan has been looking I am worried about him losing confidence & losing here as well.

Re McIntosh losing confidence, I certainly hope not. Great kid, great wrestler, but is certainly being asked to take on a lot. Figure it's like what Andrew Alton went through last year, but not only that, undersized too.

I do recall Cael being quoted as saying that the kid was so D1 ready that he wouldn't have to take his lumps. In retrospect, that seems a little unrealistic, especially given the size factor. From what I've seen, the kid can't horse any of the better wrestlers in his weight class and is forced to rely solely on his technique, which, while very admirable, doesn't leave any margin for error.

In a weird kind of way, it's like what Nick Gwiazdowski is going through at heavy. Potential is out the wazoo, but just struggles against the bigger guys, for now.

I will be there as usual KR. I also get your updates via twitter.

I wanted to drive up and see it but this last storm makes it more of a pita.

Results:

Nico DEC #7 Mele (7-3) 3-0

Martellotti DEC Oster (10-4) 6-0

Pearsall Injury Default Shober(4-2) 12-0

Molinaro MDEC Friedley (10-0) 16-0

Welch DEC Alton (2-1) 16-3

Taylor TFALL Harger (21-5) 21-3

Ruth TFALL #9 Munster ((18-3) 5:37) 26-3

Wright FALL Shrewsbury(2:41) 32-3

McIntosh DEC Schoen (6-4) 35-3

Wade DEC McMullan (6-3) 38-3

It was suggested that I post my original thread inside this one so I will. Here is the original version posted earlier:

Curious as to how some of the redshirts, freshmen, back-ups, etc. are looking in the PSU room from anyone that might have first hand knowledge or have some credible information.

Specifically wondering about a few wrestlers:

Luke Frey - Highly touted recruit, any chance he might crack the lineup next year at 141? How does he do with his other light/middle weights in the room? Where might we see him in the future PSU line-up if at all?

Jordan Conway - I think he is very much underrated personally but wondering if he is giving Megalaudis and the other lightweights a good go in practice? I know Gullibon is coming in next year and may start at 125 with a possible Megalaudis redshirt or bump up to 133 (putting Martelotti at 141) but is Conway showing enough right now to make it likely that he start next year for PSU at 125, 133, or even 141 if hes growing? I know he gave Megalaudis a tough match during the intra-squad and Megalaudis has obviously improved from then, wondering if Conway has been keeping up.

Andrew Alton - Very tough true freshmen, is he making improvements in the room this year? Didn't see him much in the open circuits and wondering about his progression and how he does in the room against Molinaro and the other talented middleweights.

Dirk Cowburn - I know he was injured, but was he showing any flashes in the room? Where is he at with the likely outcome next year being Matt Brown starting (I feel Brown will likely contend for a national title in his first year in the line-up) next year? Transfer? Sticking it out?

Seith Betz - Heard he had made huge improvements despite not being that heralded of a recruit - is he continuing with that progress? Exactly how good is he, i.e., in comparison to other kids in the room?

James English - very tough wrestler who would be contending for AA honors this year if healthy. I know he was injured so what exactly is his status, still recovering, practicing, and if so how is he doing in the room?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Can't say I have any inside info but these are some good questions:

Frey: I have wondered if he might not be able to wrestle 141 this year but maybe they are letting him redshirt. He has looked very good in opens and I think he has beaten some good kids but remember, most opens are against other freshman, redshirt freshman. Watching him in high school, the question in my mind is how he competes when things start to get tough. He had alot of trouble with his few losses in high school and sometimes that is an issue in college.

Conway: Not sold here. He just lost to a kid from VA tech in the Millersville open who was then beaten by a fellow Pennsylvania state champ(David White from ARmy) 11-1. White was soundly beaten by 10 points recently by Megaludis so I would have to wonder.

Cowburn: Also an interesting wrestler. Probably could be a top 15-20 anywhere else but just not likely to beat the guys ahead of him and they are all young! My concern here is he does not compete anywhere and has always seemed to be slightly injury prone.

English: similar to Cowburn.

Conway: Not sold here. He just lost to a kid from VA tech in the Millersville open who was then beaten by a fellow Pennsylvania state champ(David White from ARmy) 11-1. White was soundly beaten by 10 points recently by Megaludis so I would have to wonder.

Cowburn: Also an interesting wrestler. Probably could be a top 15-20 anywhere else but just not likely to beat the guys ahead of him and they are all young! My concern here is he does not compete anywhere and has always seemed to be slightly injury prone.

Matt Peters is 4th in the Virginia Tech depth chart for 125. I did wonder why he transfered to VT from Cleveland State when they were loaded with light weights. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a all VT final at the year end national open. I doubt that even the midwest powers have as much depth that can challenge VT when it comes to back ups.

A lot of the district 9 guys end up at Edinboro or Clarion and it wouldn't shock me if we see Cowburn transfer out of PSU. He is a talent but he will never get to show it if he stays. If he goes to another program he will be able to take the time off he needs to prevent injury but right now he is trying to prove himself every day and I don't think his body can handle it. Next year Clarion will have a hole at 165 and he should be a step up for Edinboro unless Gresheimer bumps up. Both would be nice moves close to home. Could you imagine how tough Edinboro would be if he was in their lineup this year?

RIP Joseph Vincent Paterno, Im blessed 4 having gotten 2 meet u. U helped make our community a better place 4 countless numbers of people. RIP Joseph Vincent Paterno, You were a part of what is GOOD in the World. May God Bless you in your continued journey. Until we meet again.

Sorry folks, Nothing Paterno ever did makes up for failure to protect kids who were getting raped by his buddy Sandusky.

An otherwise good career thrown in the toilet because he was a moral coward who chose protecting a child molester over protecting the victims.

He turned out to be a living lie when it came to his teachings.

Penn State did the right thing in firing him. We can only hope his widow gives part of the estate to the victims he failed to even make an effort to protect.

Gentlemen

I am sorry the TOM web site crashed & you were not able to get on. There was an another link to get on via USTREAM.

If something like that happens again contact me.

Some of you have my cell.

my email is kurt@theopenmat.com

You can also contact me thru TWITTER (KR1963) as well.

Nico grinding out a nice win against a tough kid

Frank cant let this top ranked guys get those turning combos on him.

Cradle last week & a arm & half this week.

Back to the drawing board.

Is Conaway RSing? Maybe he could give 133 a try.

Bryan is doing a good job.

Got a rev on Hunter who has beaten Kellen Russell (something Andrew Alton couldn't do last year in 3 tries).

Frank got a MD against a kid he probably should have TFed or pinned but i will take it.

Alton getting better grinding out a win vs a tough kid.

Is there anything to say?

Ed finished the cradle that he couldn't finish last February in Evanston.

Q is back? Oh yea.

The battle of the one we wanted vs the one we got.

Last year I said that NOT getting AC maybe a blessing in disguise.

I feel right about that assessment now.

MM moving right along towards March.

Nice MD vs the kid who was tOSU's 184 last year.

Friday night in Nebraska

Sunday back home at Rec Hall for Meechy-gan