Sign in to follow this  
KR1963

Everything PSU Blog

I hear you bwh27, but you know, the reality is you need 10 studs to hang with Minnesota, Iowa, and Okie State. Anything less won't cut it.

No one said he's definitely going to crack the starting lineup. He may be content as a backup. Not to mention he will get undoubtly better practicing with the guys you mentioned. Not everyone coming out is a Ruth, Taylor, Gulibon, etc.

I hear you bwh27, but you know, the reality is you need 10 studs to hang with Minnesota, Iowa, and Okie State. Anything less won't cut it.

Phipps is a very physical kid. Who knows, he may develop into a stud after a year or two in the room. 2x finalist (1x champ) at an upper weight in Pa is still pretty darn good. If he works hard, and has guys like Ruth, McIntosh, Sanderson and Wright to wrestle with...who knows how good he can be.

Did anybody else notice McIntosh using, what looked like Varner's turn he has been very effectice with in freestyle?

I don't think I saw this all year from McIntosh and he seemed to not have much from top but this is definitely a turn in the right direction with all the back points he secured albeit seemed a little sloppy with the move at times (got reversed at the end and lost a shot at a major).

I guess he has been rolling with Varner a lot (maybe why he's so dinged up). Too bad he faces Simaz next round (he got a terrible draw).

yeah, I wasn't thrilled about PSU's draws, but you gotta beat who they put in front of you. He should have had a major and made another late mistake.

I expect the next round to be a little rocky for PSU, I hope the rest of the field gets hit as well.

Did Frank tweak his knee in his last match? He was really limping walking off the mat.

Sure seemed like his leg was hurt. There was an injury timeout for him there also. Hope it was nothing major.

I was wrong about the bad session though =)

Macintosh looked terrible, didn't expect a win but I'd hoped it would be less than major.

Great wins for Nico and Dylan.

Wade looked good, but missed bonus by a point again.

Agreed - Mcintosh looked terrible. This year can't end soon enough for him.

Tomorrow, it sure gets tougher. Nico will more than likely get sent into the consis after his first bout with Sanders...

Dylan will have another go with DSJ. I'd love to see him pull that out. Hopefully Q pulls out his next match also.

Hey guys, chill out a bit on MM. Did you really think he had a snowball's chance of beating Simaz? That is a very good true freshman, but he wrestled a MAN.

I don't see anything going any worse than we should have expected, and they've gotten more bonus than I would have guessed. They are right where they should be at this point.

I don't mean this post to sound negative in any way, or to diminish this young man's accomplishments, which are outstanding, but I'm not really getting Wes Phipps being recruited by PSU.

No doubt he's a big, strong, tough kid, but he's not in the same league technically, or pedigree-wise, as David Taylor, Ed Ruth, or Morgan MacIntosh, and another recruit, Jimmy Gulibon.

So, what am I missing?

Neither was Phil Davis & he became a 4x AA & a 1x NCAA Champ. Phil never won a PIAA title. Wes is the exact kind of kid Cael likes, hard worker, grinder, good student, good family. Wes is the raw material wrestling wise that Cael can help turn into a very good collegiate wrestler.

Still no schedule out for 2012-13. I believe it was released on June 1 last year. I wonder what is causing the delay?

Why do you assume that there is some type of delay?

Public release date of PSU wrestling schedule in recent years:

2011 - June 1

2010 - June 22

2009 - August 12

2008 - September 8

2007 - June 13

2006 - July 21

June 1, when the schedule was released last year, was the earliest it was released in the preceding 6 years.

Tom

2012 PIAA State Champion Matt McCutcheon (Kiski Area) announced Friday evening that he had committed to continue his career at Penn State.

McCutcheon won his state title at 182lbs in March as a Junior. He won the the Super32 at 195 last October when he defeated #1 Mitch Sliga and #7 Brooks Climmons along the way. He finished as a 5th place medalist in 2011. He'll appear as one of the Top 30 recruits in the country in Flowrestling's forthcoming Class of 2013 analysis

When asked as to why he choose PSU Matt said with 3 NCAA champs around his projected college weight of 184, there was no better place he could go to become a NCAA champ himself!

Has Kiski Area ever had any of their wrestlers compete at the Div. 1 level? Seems most of their guys find a good fit at Div. II.

The last one I remember was Tyler Oravec. He went on to West Virginia not sure how long he wrestled for them.

Public release date of PSU wrestling schedule in recent years:

2011 - June 1

2010 - June 22

2009 - August 12

2008 - September 8

2007 - June 13

2006 - July 21

June 1, when the schedule was released last year, was the earliest it was released in the preceding 6 years.

Tom

Now also surprised they sent invoices for the tickets without a schedule being released. I have been a season ticket holder for a few teams (mostly pro) and never received an invoice without a schedule.