Sign in to follow this  
KR1963

Everything PSU Blog

Ruth, Brown impressive in intrasquad meet | Sports | CentreDaily.com

BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Wrestling season begins

Scout.com: Lion Lineup Begins to Take Shape

Another PSU recruit

Garret Hammond returning piaa champ at 145.

Also took 2nd at S32, losing to super frosh mark hall.

Intermat #52 overall

Flow #9 at 152

Below is a link to a video of him at last year's PIAA Championships, in the semi-final match. H

Garett Hammond in 2012 PIAA Semis

Plus an article

H.S. WRESTLING: Chambersburg's Garett Hammond to go to Penn State - GameTimePA.com

PSU-LU Prediction

Prediction:

125 – #2 Nico Megaludis MD Alex Abreu (LU) PSU 4-0

133 – Laike Gardner (LU) dec Jordan Conaway PSU 4-3

141 – Anthony Salupo (LU) dec Bryan Pearsall LU 6-4

149 – #10 A. Alton dec #19 Shane Welsh (LU) PSU 7-6

157 – #2 Dylan Alton dec Joey Napoli (LU) PSU 10-6

165 – #2 David Taylor TF Eric Hess (LU) PSU 15-6

174 – #8 Matt Brown dec #16 Nathaniel Brown (LU) PSU 18-6

184 – #2 Ed Ruth dec #3 Robert Hamlin (LU) PSU 21-6 clinches it

197 – #3 Quentin Wright FALL John Bolich (LU) PSU 27-6

285 – Gingrich/Lawson dec Jack Delia (LU) PSU 30-6

Summary from PSU SID

Nittany Lions Throttle West Virginia 44-3 in First Road Dual - Penn State Official Athletic Site

My thoughts

I think Nico is really trying to set the tone in his matches real early obviously. Attack from the start & looking to start the TAKEDOWN clinic from the first whistle. As soon as he starts wearing the kid out he is looking for the bonus and the fall. I think he realizes that his main competition is going to be McD & this is how he is going to have to wrestle all year if he is going to beat him.

Conaway looked sharper but from what I understand Morgan beat him in the last h2h in the room. I also hear that Mike Waters & Martelotti are still banging in there.

I hope that after this match BP FINALLY gets a top 20 ranking. Kid really deserves it. Really rode tough on top vs Pennesi.

Really glad to see James get his shot. Hope he gets another year of elig. I really think that he could be at another school starting looking for his own AA status. Glad to see he has stuck it out here & adds depth to the room.

Dylan rebounded nicely against a young kid who had a lot of success in HS. Nice adjustment off his shot to come back up the body & take advantage of Luster's mistake of being off balance & not keeping the elbows in, not fighting. BOOM.

DT really impresses me with his continuous search for a combo that will work & score. It is almost more like watching a computer scanning for a result than the physicality of the sport. :) I watched him go from a crab ride, to arm bar, to a half nelson, to legs in to a Xface & back. You have to love that b/c you can also see it, (that style) rubbing off on guys like Ed, Matt, Nico & even big guy Jimmy Lawson (a bit).

So far it looks like Matt likes looking a bit unassuming & then hits the big move ala the Andrew Alton/Quentin when he finds an opp leaving his head & arms open. Just methodical. Then BOOM.

Ed looked better in this match & I dont mean b/c it was a lesser opponent but stay focused a bit more & didnt let his opp get a chance to impose himself at all like he did a bit at the end of the Hamlin match. He also kept looking for a combo to score off of from up top.

Quentin being Quentin. BOOM.

Lawson looking sharper than Gingrich. Seemed to just keep working from up top, something we dont see from heavies too often. Really punishing on the head. Also did well keeping pressure on the head from neutral & from that spinning around the back & getting the 2. Also something you dont see too often from bigger guys.

PSU vs Indiana

This Sunday December 9th at Rec Hall at 2 pm...

My predictions...

125 lbs. - Nico Megaludis (PSU)Tech Fall Joe Duca (IU) 5-0 PSU

133 lbs. - Quinton Murphy (IU) dec. Frank Martelotti (PSU) 5-3 PSU

141 lbs. - Bryan Pearsall (PSU) dec Eric Roach (IU) 8-3 PSU

149 lbs. - Andrew Alton (PSU) FALL Geno Capezio (IU) 14-3 PSU

157 lbs. - Dylan Alton (PSU) dec #23 Taylor Walsh 17-3 PSU

165 lbs. - David Taylor (PSU) FALL #16 Ryan LeBlanc (IU) 23-3 PSU

174 lbs. - Matt Brown (PSU) FALL Cheney Dale (IU) 29-3 PSU CLINCHES the DUAL

184 lbs. - Ed Ruth (PSU) FALL Luke Sheridan (IU) 35-3 PSU

197 lbs. - Quentin Wright (PSU) FALL Tarek Alaruri (IU) 41-3 PSU

285 lbs. - #7 Adam Chalfant (IU) dec. Jimmy Lawson (PSU); 41-6 PSU

Will they pull Frankie's RS?

I am taking a mild wild guess & saying yes...

Andrew back in the line up & I don't think his FALL train is going to slow down.

Yes DT, MB, Ed & QW all get FALLS.

The real Question is WHO will be at 285 this week to challenge a nationally ranked heavyweight in Chalfant? He is a RS Junior & is currently leading the B1G in wins @ 285 with a record of 15-1. In comparable he beat Delaney 3-1 & lost by Fall to Nick G. He also beat McMullan of NW 5-3.

In a transitive property one might think that if Lawson went, he would get the win. However I am predicting no...however I hope I am wrong b/c a win over Chalfant, (especially after his showing @ the NLO) would catapult JL up into the top 15 or 10.

Btw IU's Murphy (133) had said last year that he wanted to go to PSU but didn't for whatever reason. He was a 5x NY State champ I believe. Yes 5x.

I bet we still see Conaway in there although despite the 5-1 loss I think Martellotti give the team the best chance at NCAA to get some points
Yea I think you are correct TF. After media day Cael said that FM will RS & JC will go 133. Lawson tweaked his shoulder on Sunday so we still may see Gingrich vs IU.

Btw IU's Murphy (133) had said last year that he wanted to go to PSU but didn't for whatever reason. He was a 5x NY State champ I believe. Yes 5x.

According to his hometown paper, so it is either very accurate or skewed to make him look better, you can never be too sure which it is when we are talking information from kids... Indiana offered him a full scholarship and wanted him on the mat right out of the gate. Which as we all know, made PSU and IU's offers drastically different.

According to his hometown paper, so it is either very accurate or skewed to make him look better, you can never be too sure which it is when we are talking information from kids... Indiana offered him a full scholarship and wanted him on the mat right out of the gate. Which as we all know, made PSU and IU's offers drastically different.

That would make a difference but I also think that PSU's interest was luke warm. So there you go...