Sign in to follow this  
KR1963

Everything PSU Blog

I heard it through the grapevine that Derek Reber from Bucknell was transferring to PSU. Any truth to that rumor? Seasoned veteran could make 125 even more interesting.

FROM TIM OWEN @ BWI

Confirmed: Derek Reber will transfer to Penn State

Tim has been able to confirm with Derek Reber that he will transfer to Penn State from Bucknell. Reber, who has two years of eligibility remaining, is a 2009 national qualifier and a four-time PIAA ‘AA’ state place winner, including a state title in 2008.

Reber has exclusively competed at the 125-pound weight class in college and will likely wrestle at 125 or 133 pounds for the Nittany Lions. If he remains at 125 pounds, he will join a stacked weight class that includes Frank Martellotti, Nate Morgan, Cameron Kelly, and newcomers Michael Waters, Jordan Conaway, and the nations top high school 125-pounder Nico Megaludis. (ADD Jimmy Gulibon to that MIX)

After talking with Derek a little more, he says 133 pounds might be his best option, but he is also trying to add some muscle to possibly go 141 pounds. That might be the best option in order to earn a starting spot, but that is quite the jump from 125.

Additionally, this will be a clean transfer, and he will not lose any eligibility.

^Strange move for Reber. Probably will never start at PSU, and I would rather have the Bucknell degree (although I'm sure others have differing opinions, primarily PSU alumni)

I can't really see him starting in his last 2 years of eligibility...

MEDIA LINKS: July 9th, 2011 | Everything Penn State Wrestling

Its the summer

you're bored

I have 31 media links to stuff about PSU wrestling & other wrestling stuff & a few not wrestling stuff but still good stuff...

Um also per the Altoona (PA) Mirror 3 guys were busted for under-aged drinking (Fischer, Vollrath & Sherlock) with 4 unnamed "adults" busted for supplying alcohol to minors. Back in the day that was a right of passage, but I am pretty sure that won't sit well with the staff.

Well I am sure there will be no discipline as a result as it was off campus and previous violators were actually rewarded a scholarship for this kind of behavior. Not a big deal in my book and I look forward to seeing Sherlock on the mat next year.

Well I am sure there will be no discipline as a result as it was off campus and previous violators were actually rewarded a scholarship for this kind of behavior. Not a big deal in my book and I look forward to seeing Sherlock on the mat next year.

Are you sure the violators were actually rewarded a scholarship for bad behavior? That doesn't sound right to me. I hope you can present the evidence to show this to be true. I'd love to put some of these hot-shot PSU fans in their places.

No issue on my part but it is safe to say Andrew Long was rewarded with a scholarship by PSU despite a couple of transgressions. And it seemed to work well as he has walked the line while pinning his way to a high finish in the NCAAs. So, I doubt the current issue could be met with any real punishment as this type of thing is not a big deal to the Penn State University administration.

No issue on my part but it is safe to say Andrew Long was rewarded with a scholarship by PSU despite a couple of transgressions. And it seemed to work well as he has walked the line while pinning his way to a high finish in the NCAAs. So, I doubt the current issue could be met with any real punishment as this type of thing is not a big deal to the Penn State University administration.

How much money did they give Long? I wonder if they are even monitoring his progress off the mat? Probably not since he helped deliver them a title. How can Matt Dernlan even get HC interviews with this on his record?

How can Matt Dernlan even get HC interviews with this on his record?

Because this isn't "his watch", besides, nothing bad happened in this situation. No kids are being given scholarships as a reward for getting in trouble. Amazing that anybody can actually believe that.

Sorry - I did not mean that if kids screwed up they get scholarships. My point was that getting in trouble for drinking under age at Penn State cannot be deemed a "punishable" offense when they just green lit a kid with a scholly that had a worse punishable offense from Iowa State (drinking, fighting, leaving kids behind etc.) I am sure Cael was doing what is right for Andrew Long and PSU and he should be commended for that.

I could care less whether it is Andrew Long or Sam Sherlock, the point is the same. I doubt anyone gets in any real trouble for this event as it has happened before and resulted in a transfer and scholarship for a kid in the disciplinary process at Iowa State.

As far as the offense- who cares? Drinking under age in college is like a speeding ticket at worst. This ticket is like a fund raiser for the local authorities and helps keep taxes down in these small towns. The AD and Coach and fans are are right to turn a blind eye. Or should I say not open their eyes.

Go Lions - let's make it two in a row (especially now that the "riotous" transfer Byers from ODU is not on the Iowa roster. He beat up the police and got a full ride to OSU. Not rewarded but certainly not punished. I imagine Iowa State will have him to thank if they can eek out a title next year.

Go Lions - let's make it two in a row (especially now that the "riotous" transfer Byers from ODU is not on the Iowa roster. He beat up the police and got a full ride to OSU. Not rewarded but certainly not punished. I imagine Iowa State will have him to thank if they can eek out a title next year.

George Mason, perhaps?

I'd love to put some of these hot-shot PSU fans in their places.

LoL , tell us how you really feel. I'd also like to hear whether any fans think that this kind of thing doesn't happen at their schools. If it were absent at any schools I am positive it would quickly hurt not only recruiting, but admissions as well. Breaking the law, even in this manner, should warrant some athletic punishment. However, for many this is right of passage, and common, they just got caught. Probation and towing the line from here on out seems fair.

Edit: IA City has made efforts to stop, or curb under-age drinking there. Many of those who partied downtown now make the drive to CR. Difficult to stop, would be smarter to provide safer alternatives than 30 min drives =(

Phil Davis Out of UFC 133 Main Event Due to Injury - MMAFrenzy.com

Undefeated light heavyweight Phil Davis has been forced to withdraw from the UFC 133 main event against former champion Rashad Evans due to a knee injury “Mr. Wonderful” recently suffered less than a month before the August 6 pay-per-view event in Philadelphia. The news was first reported late Tuesday by MMAFighting.

Davis (9-0) opened his UFC career with five straight victories, with his most recent win coming by unanimous decision over Antonio Rogerio Noguiera in March. Evans (15-1-1) has not seen Octagon action since defeating Quinton “Rampage” Jackson by unanimous decision at UFC 114 in May of last year.

Lyoto Machida is rumored to be the front-runner to step in and rematch Evans at UFC 133, with the UFC is expected to announce Davis’ injury and the new main event for UFC 133 as soon as Tuesday night.

I don't know where I missed it, but I guess it's official that Jake Kemmerer has transferred to Lock Haven. Saw the interview on Flo and Waller was talking about it.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. And Waller suggested that Kemerer may be down at 157.

I don't know where I missed it, but I guess it's official that Jake Kemmerer has transferred to Lock Haven. Saw the interview on Flo and Waller was talking about it.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. And Waller suggested that Kemerer may be down at 157.

I can not wait for Kemerer to pin David Taylor in the 165 Finals. ;)

I can not wait for Kemerer to pin David Taylor in the 165 Finals. ;)

haha...I guess stranger things have happened, but Jake Kemerer isn't exactly a Junior World Champ and previous NCAA runnerup, if you catch my drift.

Maybe Kemmerer could be a contender, but somebody at Lock Haven will need to work on his attitude first. I watched him practically lay down a couple times this past season =(

Hope it works out better for him there, like it did for Bubba.