Sign in to follow this  
KR1963

Everything PSU Blog

McIntosh, Burkert named 2011 ASICS High School Wrestlers of the Year | TheMat.com - USA Wrestling

Every year at the ASICS Junior National Championships, the ASICS High School Wrestlers of the Year are announced. This recognizes the top high school athlete in the nation, regardless of age level.

This year’s recipients are Morgan McIntosh of California for boys and Jenna Burkert of New York for girls.

McIntosh, a 2010 ASICS Junior Nationals champion, won three California state high school titles for Calvary Chapel High School. He was named the Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award winner on the national level by the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, based upon athletic and academic achievement and community service.

McIntosh is expected to compete this week at the ASICS/Vaughan Junior Nationals in freestyle. He will attend Penn State in the fall.

Burkert was fourth at the 2011 U.S. Senior Open, and was a member of the 2010 Youth Olympic Games team. She won the FILA Junior Nationals title this spring and qualified for the Junior World Team at the Body Bar Nationals.

Burkett attended Marquette High School in Michigan, where she is a member of the U.S. Olympic Education Center (USOEC) program.

Burkett will not be competing this week at the ASICS/Vaughan Junior Nationals, as she is in her final week of training for the Junior World Championships which take place next week in Bucharest, Hungary.

Burkert becomes only the second girl to win the award twice, joining California’s Tatiana Padilla who was honored in 2007 and 2008. No boy has ever won this award twice.

The program began in 1986, when California’s Laurence Jackson was named as the first ASICS High School Boys Wrestler of the Year. With the growth of women’s wrestling, the first ASICS Girls High School Wrestler of the Year was recognized in 2001, with Toccara Montgomery of Ohio receiving the award.

Looking back over the history of the program, the winners have gone on to achieve great things at the higher levels of wrestling.

Olympic champion Henry Cejudo of Colorado was the 2006 boys winner. Others who have made Olympic teams for the United States include boys recipients Oscar Wood of Oregon, Cary Kolat of Pennsylvania, Joe Williams of Illinois and Steve Mocco of New Jersey and girls Toccara Montgomery of Ohio and Ali Bernard of Minnesota.

World medalists who are past winners include girls Montgomery and Padilla, plus boys Kolat and Williams.

Wrestlers who have won multiple NCAA Div. I titles included Kolat, Williams, Mocco and Damion Hahn of New Jersey. Others won an NCAA Div. I title were Alan Fried of Ohio, Jesse Jantzen of New York, Zach Esposito of New Jersey, Dustin Schlatter of Ohio and Troy Nickerson of New York.

Future winners of this award may be competing this weekend in Fargo. A large majority of past winners have either won titles here or have been multiple All-Americans on the Junior or Cadet levels.

ASICS High School Wrestler of the Year

1986 - Laurence Jackson, California

1987 - Dan Knight, Iowa

1988 - Alan Fried, Ohio

1989 - Adam Mariano, New York

1990 - Ray Brinzer, Pennsylvania

1991 - Scott Schluchter, Oklahoma

1992 - Cary Kolat, Pennsylvania

1993 - Joe Williams, Illinois

1994 - Oscar Wood, Oregon

1995 - Sean Hage, Georgia

1996 - David Kjeldgaard, Iowa

1997 - Kenny Cox, Oregon

1998 - T.J. Hill, Missouri

1999 - Damion Hahn, New Jersey

2000 - Jesse Jantzen, New York

2001 - Steven Mocco, New Jersey

2002 - Zack Esposito, New Jersey

2003 - Roger Kish, Michigan

2004 - Dustin Schlatter, Ohio

2005 - Troy Nickerson, New York

2006 – Henry Cejudo, Colorado

2007 – Cody Gardner, Virginia

2008 – Jason Chamberlain, Utah

2009 – David Taylor, Ohio

2010 – Logan Stieber, Ohio

2011 – Morgan McIntosh, California

TheMat.com/ASICS Girls High School Wrestler of the Year

2001 - Toccara Montgomery, Ohio

2002 - Brandy Rosenbrock, Michigan

2003 - Samantha Lang, Oregon

2004 - Ali Bernard, Minnesota

2005 - Deanna Rix, Maine

2006 – Jackie Cataline. California

2007 – Tatiana Padilla, California

2008 – Tatiana Padilla, California

2009 – Adeline Gray, Colorado

2010 – Jenna Burkert, New York

2011 – Jenna Burkert, New York

FWIW

Just talked to a buddy coaching HS wrestling in PA.

PSU was at his school & he got to talk to DT.

So to confirm everything we already have been saying per DT

he is going to 165 & Ed & Q are NOT bumping.

So I guess we really can get onto discussing 141 & 197....tongue.gif

FWIW

I also think the spot at 157 is worth discussing...

125 - Megaludis / Conaway / Waters / Morgan

133 - Long / Martellotti / Sherlock

141 - A. Alton / Martellotti / Sherlock / R. Vollrath / Frey / Pearsall

149 - Molinaro / Frey

157 - D. Alton / J. Vollrath / English / D. Church

165 - DT / Cowburn

174 - Ruth / Cowburn

184 - Wright / A. Church

197 - McIntosh / Steadman / A. Church

285 - Wade / Campbell

I dont think you will see A. Alton at 141 again although Im sure the coaches would love to have him there to get the best line up. I think he has grown too much and you will likely see him RS and prepare to take over for frank the tank at 149 while his bro will challenge for 157 this year.

FWIW

I also think the spot at 157 is worth discussing...

Ha! Yes I just figured that was a GIVEN...u r right. Dylan Alton vs James English vs Jimmy Vollrath vs Nick Fischer (maybe Matt Brown??? Heard he is a bit bigger now). My pick is English right now with Alton being close behind. Dylan is weighing in at 175 in the off season. Btw DT in the off season is up over 180.

125 - Megaludis / Conaway / Waters / Morgan (out with broken leg)

133 - Long / Martellotti (Academically ineligible) / Sherlock

141 - A. Alton / Sherlock / R. Vollrath (graduated) / Frey / Pearsall / Derek Reber (transfer from Bucknell)

149 - Molinaro / Frey

157 - D. Alton / J. Vollrath / English / D. Church / Nick Fischer (Back up 165 last year)

165 - DT / Cowburn / Matt Brown (transfer from ISU)

174 - Ruth / Cowburn

184 - Wright / A. Church

197 - McIntosh / Steadman (injured) / A. Church / Justin Ortega (last years 197) / Scott Syrek (incoming recruit)

285 - Wade / Campbell/ Jon Gingrich (BEA grad coming off of RS)

Thank you for revising my post ... I'm sorry to see Mertellotti still struggling academically, forgot about Reber, happy to see some of the other additions.

My question for "Everything PSU" is this:

Was Molinaro cutting a lot of weight last season? Could it be possible to see a line-up like this:

141 - Molinaro

149 - A. Alton

157 - D. Alton

Thank you for revising my post ... I'm sorry to see Mertellotti still struggling academically, forgot about Reber, happy to see some of the other additions.

My question for "Everything PSU" is this:

Was Molinaro cutting a lot of weight last season? Could it be possible to see a line-up like this:

141 - Molinaro

149 - A. Alton

157 - D. Alton

His sophomore year Frank talked about how hard the cut was to 141 & that he really was struggling with it. He still managed to AA as a RS Freshman but I do not imagine that he would be back down there any time soon (read EVER).

Btw Reber @ 141 is my wishful thinking if AA takes a RS.

157 is going to be a battle. So far I am liking English but we shall see that happens in the room very soon.

^^^Yes, 157 is shaping up to be a Battle Royal - Dylan Alton, Jim Vollrath and James English. Who wants it?

Has Reber said he wants to fire up this season? I saw him wrestling for Bucknell spring semester of 2011, and he looked like he was just going through the motions. Reber was 0-2 at the 2011 EIWA tournament at 125 and is supposed to help Penn State this coming season? Well, we shall see.

^^^Yes, 157 is shaping up to be a Battle Royal - Dylan Alton, Jim Vollrath and James English. Who wants it?

Has Reber said he wants to fire up this season? I saw him wrestling for Bucknell spring semester of 2011, and he looked like he was just going through the motions. Reber was 0-2 at the 2011 EIWA tournament at 125 and is supposed to help Penn State this coming season? Well, we shall see.

I was already told he transferred by Tim @ BWI. TIm suggested that he might move up from 125. THe clear spot to go for is 141. You are right....we shall see!

I was already told he transferred by Tim @ BWI. TIm suggested that he might move up from 125. THe clear spot to go for is 141. You are right....we shall see!

I was thinking the same thing as stove pipe RE:Reber.... but maybe he was cutting too much to get down to 125 at Bucknell. He did place 2nd @ Sr Natioinals at 130lbs in '08 (behind jordan oliver) so he might be better suited @ 133. And considering recent developments in happy valley (which can be found in a super secret, and apparently unmentionable article about a certain penn state 133lb all-american posted in the online edition of the Centre Daily Times...hint, hint), PSU may actually prefer to have him at 133 for added depth.

125 - Megaludis / Conaway / Waters / Morgan (out with broken leg)

133 - Long / Martellotti (Academically ineligible) / Sherlock

It seems as though, PSU can load up from 141 and up ... yet have struggled at 125, and 133. Never really a log jam there with "great" wrestlers... (excluding transfers)