Marcus Cisero

BTN's Alex and Eli Documentary

Agreed, very nicely done. What a tribute to Eli and such a sad yet amazing story. As I posted in the other thread it’s very surreal to me. I have 9yr old boy girl twins. My daughter is my sons biggest fan. She won’t miss a match for anything. Once last year she was sick and couldn’t make it. He was as upset as she was. My wife and I were both a hot mess watching this tonight.

I saw Mariah at the University of Illinois vs Iowa dual last year. Alex let my son and his friend in the Iowa locker room too. He thought he was hot stuff! 60f68236fc46e0a4d66ffb802583e529.jpgWatching Mariah at the dual tonight you could tell by her presence near the mat she has a true passion for the sport. And man she is just as good looking in person too....wow. Alex you lucky dog you!

Agreed.  It was a nice documentary and a great tribute to Alex and the Stickley family.  Odd, I remember watching the Wi/IA dual last year and hearing about the bELIeve story but I guess I didn't really put the it together until today.  I was at the Big Tens last year when Alex beat Joseph and the arena was just electric after his victory.   Powerful tribute.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:07 AM, russelscout said:

Pretty powerful stuff. I guess I didnt realize that Marinelli was homeschooled at the Stickley household. Thats a special family.

Pretty sure Alex lived with Joey Sanchez while attending Graham.  Joey wrestles 157 at Indiana U.  

I was tearing during this whole documentary. Tragic story and well done by BIG network.

My one question, and by no means am I trying to troll or hijack the thread, BUT how were eli and alex able to be home schooled, and attend the st paris graham? 

5 minutes ago, Lurie92 said:

I was tearing during this whole documentary. Tragic story and well done by BIG network.

My one question, and by no means am I trying to troll or hijack the thread, BUT how were eli and alex able to be home schooled, and attend the st paris graham? 

HOMESCHOOLING INFORMATION

Home education is recognized by section 3321.04 of the Ohio Revised Code and section 3301-34 of the Ohio Administrative Code.

In Ohio, a parent interested in educating his/her child at home may request that the child be excused compulsory school attendance for home education purposes. Home Education is educational delivery that is directed by the parent or guardian of a child who has been excused from attending school. Under this option, the parent/guardian selects the curriculum and educational materials and takes responsibility for educating the child. There is no state financial assistance for families who choose this option. 

Parents must turn in the required packet to the Superintendent's office by September 10th of the current school year.  A link to the parent packet and homeschooling requirements can be found on the links to the right. 

8 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Online classes....

Graham is the school.  St. Paris is the town.

^this also.   Replying to Lurie92- Graham has a few online (GOAL and CCP+) programs. 

The school is named after A.B. Graham, the founder of the 4-H.

(edit)  meant to copy paste to my last post.  whoops!

Edited by stp

On 12/2/2019 at 7:07 AM, russelscout said:

Pretty powerful stuff. I guess I didnt realize that Marinelli was homeschooled at the Stickley household. Thats a special family.

Any idea why they were home schooled? SPG is a pretty good school.  Yes?

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Purely using some very loose deductive reasoning I would guess because of Christian values, but I don't know for certain. 

It was a wrestling school and bass fishing.  Not a private or a Catholic.

St. Paris the town.  Graham is the school.

Edited by Mphillips

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I was guessing that they were homeschooled to learn Chrisitian values at home. I am aware that StP is not a private school.

Fair enough.  At first I thought you were being funny and then I thought you might not know.  My mistake.

Edited by Mphillips

6 minutes ago, leshismore said:

This confuses me. Can't kids learn "Christian values" and still attend public schools?

They can, but it seemed pretty clear to me that the family was very religious and also very financially well off. In my experience, which is right in the Bible Belt, smack dab in the most conservative portion of Iowa, families will homeschool their kids, even if there is a private school available. That of course is a gross generalization, but if I had to guess, I would guess that way before I would guess that they were at home training for wrestling or something. 

5 hours ago, stp said:

Pretty sure Alex lived with Joey Sanchez while attending Graham.  Joey wrestles 157 at Indiana U.  

So did his family not live within the district?  I see Iowa’s roster lists him as from Miamisburg which is an hour away.

PS I agree the documentary was very well done.

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So did his family not live within the district?  I see Iowa’s roster lists him as from Miamisburg which is an hour away.

PS I agree the documentary was very well done.

In very vague terms in a Flo interview he had said something to the affect about maybe less than ideal priorities of his family. He has no ill feelings towards them, but he would not be where he was today if he would have stayed.... that's the way I remembered it.

Impressions:

I didn't realize the whole home-schooling connection.  I knew Alex and Eli were close, but I didn't know it was this close.

I wish they would have highlighted Eli a little more.  Obviously this was about the year following his death and the impact it had on his loved ones.  But I would have liked to know more about what made Eli so special.  We got one big example from Alex about the 2018 B1G Tournament.  Let's hear some more.

Did anyone else catch what Brands wore to the wedding?   Now, maybe it was just what he was wearing during his car ride and he changed at the Stickley residence, but he walked into the wedding site dressed like that.