Jimmy Cinnabon

Just hand Iowa the trophy now

16 minutes ago, russelscout said:

What part specifically looked bad? The fact that he was losing?

Bad as a relative term of course, compared to Gross from 2017. Easier to penetrate and finish on than the Gross of old. Then, once he was losing, his shots started to look downright sloppy. And he let DeSanto ride him - that 1 pt. escape should be automatic for a former champ.

9 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’d rather see Kem-Hall. We’ve already seen the Joseph-Marinelli several times. 

I’d be good with that too.  Just seems Hall is probably favored there.  I guess Marinelli would be favored over Joseph based on H2H but I think Joseph’s 2 titles would probably say otherwise

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Bad as a relative term of course, compared to Gross from 2017. Easier to penetrate and finish on than the Gross of old. Then, once he was losing, his shots started to look downright sloppy. And he let DeSanto ride him - that 1 pt. escape should be automatic for a former champ.

So did Desanto do anything good in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Thought Gross looked bad more than DeSanto looked good. Cassiopi, on the other hand, will be right there with Cassar & Steveson (if he's eligible) in March.

Cassiopi beat hilger the guy who took 8th by 1, he was 0-5 last year and not even remotely competitive against Cassar or Gable what leads you to believe he ll be right there with 2 guys who were on a completely different level than anyone else in the weight 

31 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’d be good with that too.  Just seems Hall is probably favored there.  I guess Marinelli would be favored over Joseph based on H2H but I think Joseph’s 2 titles would probably say otherwise

I think Marinelli absolutely has to be favored over Joseph, he has 2 pretty solid wins over him. Hall definitely the favorite over everyone at that weight he’s a 3 time finalist, and he beat zahid last year, I think there’s no way Kememer finishes lower then 4th this year but I think he ll have a very difficult time getting any offense going against Hall 

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think Marinelli absolutely has to be favored over Joseph, he has 2 pretty solid wins over him. Hall definitely the favorite over everyone at that weight he’s a 3 time finalist, and he beat zahid last year, I think there’s no way Kememer finishes lower then 4th this year but I think he ll have a very difficult time getting any offense going against Hall 

Yeah.  Although now that I think about it each team should have other guys in the finals so I guess if it's still a race it likely won't really be known what it will come down to until after mid-way through the finals.  So if it is close and there are matchups of Marinelli/Joseph and Hall/Kemerer, ending at 174 might not be bad if they wanted to emphasize the team race. 

Obviously getting ahead of myself here.

There’s also the possibility of ending it with heavies, although projecting Cassioppi as a finalist right now is certainly premature. You’d have to think that’s what they’d go with as the last match if it’s Cass versus Cass in the finals. No other way of drawing huge interest in a heavyweight match. 

DeSanto wrestled a great match. I've also seen him wrestle great matches in the past - he always brings it and top guys will lose if they're off their game. Gross did not look like 2017 Gross and DeSanto capitalized.

Edited by Fletcher

35 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah.  Although now that I think about it each team should have other guys in the finals so I guess if it's still a race it likely won't really be known what it will come down to until after mid-way through the finals.  So if it is close and there are matchups of Marinelli/Joseph and Hall/Kemerer, ending at 174 might not be bad if they wanted to emphasize the team race. 

Obviously getting ahead of myself here.

Yea Saturday morning is going to very important this year, team race could be as close as 2018. I think they might end with zahid going for his 3rd but I could also see it ending at 165 if it’s cenzo vs marinelli especially if the team race is still neck and neck and also cenzo would be going for number 3 

5 hours ago, Fletcher said:

DeSanto wrestled a great match. I've also seen him wrestle great matches in the past - he always brings it and top guys will lose if they're off their game. Gross did not look like 2017 Gross and DeSanto capitalized.

He looked like the guy who gave up 3 TD's to the NC State kid, the only difference is he couldn't turn ADS.

Gross did not look good at all.  Now DeSanto's looked very good and when a guy like that is on, he can make a good wrestler not look like themselves.  I'm not going to lie, I was very disappointed in that match.  I'm definitely not a DeSanto's fan and I have had Seth work some camps with me and he is a great kid.  DeSanto's wrestling the way he did, is not surprising to me after watching the way the rest of the team competed.  He seems to be a guy that can get rolling when the rest of the team is wrestling well.  The Hawks looked very tough and it is exciting to think of the team race that we may be able to see in Minneapolis this year.  

On 12/3/2019 at 8:09 AM, 1032004 said:

Iowa probably got a bump in potential NCAA points for DeSanto and Cassioppi based on Sunday’s wins, but other than that I feel like they don’t look much different than people thought.

The thing is PSU probably looks worse than initially thought, with not much scoring projected to come from 125 and 149, injury questions for Berge and Rasheed, and Conel looking horrible.  Still should be close though.   Will definitely be interesting to see what they do at 197.

Well I guess Iowa had a few days to feel like the clear favorite.

Berge proves he’s not dead, and it appears Conel’s gonna go to the bench.

PSU still probably needs Rasheed to come back healthy and some improvement at 149.  I imagine we might see Gardner get a  start at some point.

I felt like it was a combination of both (Gross/Desanto). It’s seemed like Gross didn’t quote look like himself,  but I feel like that is a credit to ADS more so than knock to Gross. That was the best match I have seen ADS wrestle.