Jimmy Cinnabon

Just hand Iowa the trophy now

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

While that trophy is being polished, consider that PSU could have two wrestlers leap frog their Iowa counterparts this week. Add to that Nick Lee rising a spot to #2. The plot thickens. 

I do think the plot thickens with the Brands loss and the entrance of Brooks, but who is getting leap frogged?

The only real possibility is 157 and I’m not sure if they do that with Berge having only wrestled 1 match and then ducking Artalona.

Rasheed was ahead of Brands at 184 anyway, and I’m not sure what they’ll do with Brands and Brooks.  But I don’t think there’s any reason to put Rasheed ahead of Warner at 197 right now (assuming that’s Cael’s “plan”).

Edited by 1032004

I am referring to Flo Rankings where Young is ahead of Berge and Brands is ahead of Shak. My assumption being Young with now 2 losses drops behind Berge and Brands losing to an unranked wrestler falls a number of spots while Brooks cracks into the rankings potentially above him. 

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I do think the plot thickens with the Brands loss and the entrance of Brooks, but who is getting leap frogged?

The only real possibility is 157 and I’m not sure if they do that with Berge having only wrestled 1 match and then ducking Artalona.

Rasheed was ahead of Brands at 184 anyway, and I’m not sure what they’ll do with Brands and Brooks.  But I don’t think there’s any reason to put Rasheed ahead of Warner at 197 right now (assuming that’s Cael’s “plan”).

According to Flo ranking brands is ahead of Rasheed and young has 2 loses ,Berges only win is over a blood round guy so it’s not unreasonable to see Berge jump young 

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I am referring to Flo Rankings where Young is ahead of Berge and Brands is ahead of Shak. My assumption being Young with now 2 losses drops behind Berge and Brands losing to an unranked wrestler falls a number of spots while Brooks cracks into the rankings potentially above him. 

I think brooks will be ranked this week..Weiler had a win over number 15 Hazel and a win over orondoff before he moved up to 197, I would bet Flo will have brooks ranked 

On 12/8/2019 at 6:38 PM, 1032004 said:

Didn’t realize they had Brands ahead of Rasheed.  But don’t you have to assume Brooks is the 184 now?  

Yes. And I am also assuming Brooks is ahead of Brands. If he isn't then no big deal. It is only a matter of time.

Edited by TBar1977

On 12/8/2019 at 6:31 PM, 1032004 said:

On 12/8/2019 at 6:39 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

I think brooks will be ranked this week..Weiler had a win over number 15 Hazel and a win over orondoff before he moved up to 197, I would bet Flo will have brooks ranked 

On 12/8/2019 at 6:40 PM, TBar1977 said:

Yes. And I am also assuming Brooks is ahead of Brands. If he isn't then no big deal. It is only a matter of time.

Well, I was only a little correct and a LOT incorrect on Flo's rankings this week.

141 - Nick Lee had 2 dominating wins this past weekend while 1 of the 2 guys ahead of him, Dom Demas suffered his 2nd loss on the year. For his efforts Nick Lee DROPPED a spot in the rankings as Mitch McKee, a guy Lee pinned at NCAA's last year (after building a nice lead) leapfrogged him. 

157 - Berge rose 1 spot from 6th to 5th while Kaleb Young fell from 3rd to 9th. This is the only one I got right.

184 - Oh boy. Brooks is ranked but ............ He enters the flo rankings as one of 6 newly ranked wrestlers, but he is the lowest ranked of the 6 and the lowest ranked guy at 25. Nelson Brands dropped from 6th to 11th, so he remains 14 spots ahead of Brooks. 

I think I will probably start following Intermat's rankings until Flo gets someone who knows how to rank wrestlers. Intermat has the wrestlers ranked pretty much exactly where I would rank them this week. In other words, Nick Lee at #2, Berge at 5 and Young at 8, Brooks is 9 and Brands somewhat below that at 14. Not that it matters as this will all take care of itself. Just food for the gristmill. 

EDIT: Two other notes about the rankings. Sebastian Rivera enters this week ranked 3rd at 133. That seems fair to me. At 174 Kutler remains 2nd and Kemerer 3rd. I'd reverse that and place Kemerer 2nd and Kutler 3rd. 

Edited by TBar1977

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I think I will probably start following Intermat's rankings until Flo gets someone who knows how to rank wrestlers. 

That's the great thing about having so many rankings out there - nothing authoritative about any of them, you can just pick the ones you like!

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Well, I was only a little correct and a LOT incorrect on Flo's rankings this week.

141 - Nick Lee had 2 dominating wins this past weekend while 1 of the 2 guys ahead of him, Dom Demas suffered his 2nd loss on the year. For his efforts Nick Lee DROPPED a spot in the rankings as Mitch McKee, a guy Lee pinned at NCAA's last year (after building a nice lead) leapfrogged him. 

157 - Berge rose 1 spot from 6th to 5th while Kaleb Young fell from 3rd to 9th. This is the only one I got right.

184 - Oh boy. Brooks is ranked but ............ He enters the flo rankings as one of 6 newly ranked wrestlers, but he is the lowest ranked of the 6 and the lowest ranked guy at 25. Nelson Brands dropped from 6th to 11th, so he remains 14 spots ahead of Brooks. 

I think I will probably start following Intermat's rankings until Flo gets someone who knows how to rank wrestlers. Intermat has the wrestlers ranked pretty much exactly where I would rank them this week. In other words, Nick Lee at #2, Berge at 5 and Young at 8, Brooks is 9 and Brands somewhat below that at 14. Not that it matters as this will all take care of itself. Just food for the gristmill. 

EDIT: Two other notes about the rankings. Sebastian Rivera enters this week ranked 3rd at 133. That seems fair to me. At 174 Kutler remains 2nd and Kemerer 3rd. I'd reverse that and place Kemerer 2nd and Kutler 3rd. 

Someone was arguing with Spey last night about the nick lee ranking and they pointed out lee bonused McKee twice and Demas has been up and down and Spey said nick lee won’t have a chance to jump anyone based on his schedule til February, which I find ridiculous if they guy is just smashing everyone . They also moved Rivera to 133 even though Stornilio has said multiple times Rivera was going 125 ...they removed joe smith even though Flo are the ones that said he ll be back against Oklahoma this week...I used to agree with the ranking but they are just inconsistent this year and it’s a same because they are the big ten networks official ranking 

11 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Someone was arguing with Spey last night about the nick lee ranking and they pointed out lee bonused McKee twice and Demas has been up and down and Spey said nick lee won’t have a chance to jump anyone based on his schedule til February, which I find ridiculous if they guy is just smashing everyone . They also moved Rivera to 133 even though Stornilio has said multiple times Rivera was going 125 ...they removed joe smith even though Flo are the ones that said he ll be back against Oklahoma this week...I used to agree with the ranking but they are just inconsistent this year and it’s a same because they are the big ten networks official ranking 

It seems like Flo has a strategy of regularly putting wonky stuff out there to create dialog. It keeps them in the conversation, no?

1 hour ago, ionel said:

and here we thought all the wonky stuff departed with Willie ;)

Lol! Of course not. Willie's a pain but he's been impactful. Current public-facing FloWrestling personnel just in over their heads. Spey's ridiculous claim that Cornell is/was Lightweight U. shows his penchant for wonkiness. And the mononymous one's comments on Twitter about it being admirable to pump out content seems to put emphasis on quantity not quality. It's kinda baffling that sometimes Flo's hit homeruns (e.g., investigative pieces about Rio reffing and about RTC warchests) but yet there's wonky stuff too. Wouldn't it be nice to see less wonkiness from Flo?

Rokfin listeners, you hear wonky stuff from Willie lately?

UPDATE #1: I change my mind. Rankings not an example of 'creating dialog' but rather an example of 'just in over their heads'. Neo_Hawk nails it in the post linked below. https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/flo-rankings.295214/page-2#post-7173264 Indeed when it comes to FloWrestling, especially now that Willie's doing his own thing, 'in over their heads' plausible often.

UPDATE #2: To be fair: There seems to be no source whose rankings+process prevails as authoritative. In old threads here some folks have presented results of rankings analyses. I wonder how the processes/methodology used by other sources (e.g., Intermat) compares to that used by Flo.

Edited by jon

12 minutes ago, jon said:

Lol! Of course not. Willie's a pain but he's been impactful. Current public-facing FloWrestling personnel just in over their heads. Spey's ridiculous claim that Cornell is/was Lightweight U. shows his penchant for wonkiness. And the mononymous one's comments on Twitter about it being admirable to pump out content seems to put emphasis on quantity not quality. It's kinda baffling that sometimes Flo's hit homeruns (e.g., investigative pieces about Rio reffing and about RTC warchests) but yet there's wonky stuff too. Wouldn't it be nice to see less wonkiness from Flo?

Rokfin listeners, you hear wonky stuff from Willie lately?

All of willies wonky stuff ends up on Twitter his show is pretty much straight wrestling talk for the most part 

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

All of willies wonky stuff ends up on Twitter his show is pretty much straight wrestling talk for the most part 

Good point! Willie *is* wonky lol -- he's wonky on Twitter.

28 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Agreed @Antitroll2828,

You would think there would be some kind 'consistency' with the B1G using FLO as an official ranking service.  One of the announcers over the weekend even slighted them...somewhat.

Maybe I'm imagining it but I feel like a lot of the schools used to use Flo's rankings in their writeups and stuff and don't as much anymore since going behind the paywall.

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Agreed @Antitroll2828,

You would think there would be some kind 'consistency' with the B1G using FLO as an official ranking service.  One of the announcers over the weekend even slighted them...somewhat.

That is an issue. 

I mean its hard to take their rankings seriously. When Nick Lee has smashed McKee when it counts most and has not lost once this year while smashing everyone else (I realize he hasn't faced top comp yet) and Lee drops behind McKee on a weekend where McKee lost and Nick Lee hasn't. That's hard to defend.

Also, Intermat has Brooks 8th while Spey has him 25th. One of them is way off. 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

That doesn't address Spey dropping Lee to 4th. Also, Lee will face both Chad Red and Max Murin in January. Both of those wrestlers are ranked lower than Lee, but also the entire Big10 is going at each other in January meaning both McKee and Pletcher will face numerous ranked guys in January. Good chance McKee hits someone who beats him, imo. Anything could happen to impact the top of the rankings.

In the end it won't matter as they'll all settle it on the mat. His dropping Lee is still stupid. 

9 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That is an issue. 

I mean its hard to take their rankings seriously. When Nick Lee has smashed McKee when it counts most and has not lost once this year while smashing everyone else (I realize he hasn't faced top comp yet) and Lee drops behind McKee on a weekend where McKee lost and Nick Lee hasn't. That's hard to defend.

Also, Intermat has Brooks 8th while Spey has him 25th. One of them is way off. 

Where does Flo have Brands/Stefanik/Colbray?

Interesting that Intermat shot Brooks all the way up to 8th already.   Not that I know how to do it but, but also interesting that they went Colbray 11, Brands 14 and Stefanik 18, despite Brands beating Colbray and Stefanik beating Brands.

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Where does Flo have Brands/Stefanik/Colbray?

Interesting that Intermat shot Brooks all the way up to 8th already.   Not that I know how to do it but, but also interesting that they went Colbray 11, Brands 14 and Stefanik 18, despite Brands beating Colbray and Stefanik beating Brands.

Pretty sure Flo is propping up Iowa lead so they can build the suspense of the team race and put up 22 articles comparing Iowa and PSU that all pretty much say the same thing, then in March when penn state most likely wins again they’ll act like that was there pick the whole time...they did it in 2017 as well with Oklahoma state