Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in UPenn History

Best Wrestlers in UPenn History

1492726628556-web_valenti.jpg?width=1024

The Quakers are lead by two-time NCAA champion and NJ native Matt Valenti. Check out the best University of Pennsylvania wrestlers of all-time ranked by NCAA medals!

Here are the top five!

Rank - Name - Score - Finishes

#1 - Matt Valenti - 39 - 5,1,1
#2 - Dick DiBatista - 32 - 1,1
#3 - Brandon Slay - 24 - 2,2
#4 - Brett Matter - 23 - 5,1
#5 - Matt Feast - 17 - 7,5,6

There have been 18 All-American wrestlers who have won 28 medals in Pennsylvania history!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Pennsylvania

Check out the full list in this Rokfin exclusive!

https://rokfin.com/ranking/92

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Rollie Peterkin was one of the best who somehow fell short of his goals. He did have a nice win over Zack Sanders, and had many great wars that I've seen personally with Troy Nickerson. He also dominated Anthony Robles in the finals of the Keystone Classic a while back.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:27 PM, skikayaker said:

and had many great wars that I've seen personally with Troy Nickerson.

I can only see that they wrestled twice - Nickerson winning both, 8-4 and 5-3.  You might be thinking also of Mike Rodriguez, who was the Cornell starter in 2008 (Nickerson sat out with a shoulder injury that year) - and had a couple of wild matches with Peterkin.  That was the year Penn almost broke Cornell's string of EIWA titles at Franklin and Marshall.  M-Rod had won the dual matchup, but Peterkin won at the tournament by fall; Cornell won the tournament by only 1/2 point, IIRC.

Edited by red blades

On 12/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, red blades said:

I can only see that they wrestled twice - Nickerson winning both, 8-4 and 5-3.  You might be thinking also of Mike Rodriguez, who was the Cornell starter in 2008 (Nickerson sat out with a shoulder injury that year) - and had a couple of wild matches with Peterkin.  That was the year Penn almost broke Cornell's string of EIWA titles at Franklin and Marshall.  M-Rod had won the dual matchup, but Peterkin won at the tournament by fall; Cornell won the tournament by only 1/2 point, IIRC.

Yeah, maybe I should have used "some" instead of "many". They were the rivals at 125 in the EIWA for many of years, and yes, Nickerson's shoulder injuries prevented more wars, but hey, you got me. I was going off of memory, and didn't look at the stats.

Edited by skikayaker

On 12/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, wrestlingnerd said:

Either put Slay as 1 and make his FS experience count or out him at 4 because 5, 1 > 2, 2. 

Yoshi Nakamura (7, 3) was only 2x AA but placed higher than Feast so could be argued as 5. 

I think these lists are just done a point system for each placement 

On 12/2/2019 at 1:27 PM, skikayaker said:

Rollie Peterkin was one of the best who somehow fell short of his goals. He did have a nice win over Zack Sanders, and had many great wars that I've seen personally with Troy Nickerson. He also dominated Anthony Robles in the finals of the Keystone Classic a while back.

Matt Dragon was, I feel, destined for greatness until he f****d up his shoulder.

On 12/2/2019 at 11:36 PM, buckshot1969 said:

I love when other PA schools do well. I’d really love it if F&M could get in the mix

They have had one finalist, Ron Flemng. He wrestled a guy named Hode or Hoge or something.

I think Nip Brown could have beaten Mike Land and Met Burley in the finals had he been correctly seeded 4 or 5.

In  the 1972 tournament, After Fujita Dft in the first round and the #2 Meikle of UCLA went down in the second round, for a few minutes Chris Black was the top remaining seed, and the favorite. But he got hurt and lost to the eventual runner-up- Quigley of Ill St. 

Edited by RichB
added info

2 hours ago, RichB said:

They have had one finalist, Ron Flemng. He wrestled a guy named Hode or Hoge or something.

Actually, they also had one in 1939 (At F&M). They were quite good in that time frame. I didn't check many other years.