spladle08

Alans International Tournament -Russia

15 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Who did Iran send this year Mohebbi  again or Hadi, I genuinely don't remember but and I'm on my phone so don't feel like looking. Is the kid that far behind them?

In my opinion, Hadi is by far Iran's best choice, if healthy.  He did go because of back problems, and Mohebbi went instead.

Just now, irani said:

In my opinion, Hadi is by far Iran's best choice, if healthy.  He did go because of back problems, and Mohebbi went instead.

I wouldn't disagree. 
But you can have multiple elite guys from the same country. 
Taha and Geno are the class of the weight for years to come, but as far as that second tier goes Zare is in there or at least right on the edge of it. 
And as you said, he's still a kid with a ton of upside, and its a "Man's" weight I think over the next few years he becomes a staple at the weight. 
but for immediate purposes, I think he is already "on that level" enough to beat Gwiz, but I'd assume its close either way.  

Question on theoretical scenarios...

Say he meets Gwiz.

Say he beats Gwiz.

Being that Parris just beat him at Junior Worlds does this give him the #1 seed at OTT, with Gwiz as the #2 and Steveson as the #3?

I am not saying I would seed him #1.  I am saying he would have grounds to be seeded #1, as he would have no domestic freestyle losses of this season or this last freestyle season.

2 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Parris did a great job but i'm just saying it would be a historic moment if Zare could beat a monster like Gwiz. 

Hmm...not sure how to take this comment. Seems too exaggerated to be your normal more lighthearted snark if you're trying to suggest sarcastically that Americans build up Gwiz too much, but also seems exaggerated if you're suggesting it would be monumental if Zare would beat Gwiz.

4 minutes ago, maligned said:

Hmm...not sure how to take this comment. Seems too exaggerated to be your normal more lighthearted snark if you're trying to suggest sarcastically that Americans build up Gwiz too much, but also seems exaggerated if you're suggesting it would be monumental if Zare would beat Gwiz.

I'm trying to say that if Zare were to somehow pull off the upset against Gwiz he would be making history as it would be the first time that an Iranian junior eligible wrestle has beaten a returning American heavyweight world medalist at the Alans tournament. 

26 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I'm trying to say that if Zare were to somehow pull off the upset against Gwiz he would be making history as it would be the first time that an Iranian junior eligible wrestle has beaten a returning American heavyweight world medalist at the Alans tournament. 

Gwiz is not a returning world medalist.

Call it a hunch, but Taha for as good as he is will experience a very sahrp decline. Don't know why, don't know how, but I think it happens.

As a disclaimer, I also don't expect a US medal at 125 through the next cycle (2024) unless Cox or Snyder bumps up to get a token bronze

4 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Call it a hunch, but Taha for as good as he is will experience a very sahrp decline. Don't know why, don't know how, but I think it happens.

As a disclaimer, I also don't expect a US medal at 125 through the next cycle (2024) unless Cox or Snyder bumps up to get a token bronze

Are you predicting a sharp decline over the next few years or prior to this Olympics. Either way. #Respect! 
Love me some Taha and Geno. and not being a "fat body" Hvy, just being lengthy and more "Healthy" looking, has me thinking Taha can outlast others. 
If you're predicting over the next year... 10x more respect. 
But I could see him and Geno falling off by 2024... but for now, they got this!

Zare is only 18 so even if he can be competitive with fully grown men in their prime like Khugaev Khizriev Gwiz etc then that's awesome. Should probably pump the brakes a bit before declaring him on their level though lol. He's unlikely to beat Hadi for Tokyo anyway so there's no rush.  

19 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I completely agree. He's lost several leads to Geno late in the match and, as he gets older, his conditioning is going to go even more. He may be able to muster one more decent run at the Olympics but you know he's not going to do anything the first year into a new cycle. If you're then wanting me to believe that he's going to do something 2 years removed from the Olympics, I'm not buying it. I think next year is it and that might even be the limits of his time as an elite wrestler.

So I guess this tournament is one weigh in the night before the tournament starts AND a 2 kg allowance. Good test but take results with a grain of salt.
I saw that and thought that... everyone we have is competing at their "normal" weight though, but obviously a variety of other factors are influenced by this set up. Still ready for some results

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

About 16 hours to go. 

NLWC Twitter says that Zain and Snyder are there with Varner cornering them both. 

Zane tweeted a couple days ago live stream on YouTube. I don’t know times though. Will look for the tweet. 

Actually, the tournament started. Snyder won 8-4 over UZB guy with Russian name. Zain TF a Russian 11-0 in his first match. Both of those opponents were solid to good wrestlers for sure.  

Click this link and rewind about half of it and you can see BOTH Snyder first and then Zain with one match in between them.

Zain - bout 133
Snyder - bout 155
Zain - bout 157.

Edited by TBar1977