spladle08

Alans International Tournament -Russia

Well congrats to SnyderMan, and James Green, on their performances. I missed Gwiz’s repechage matches but good job getting back to the Bronze medal match. 
Hopefully everyone that went has found something to build on. 

20 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well this is my take for what it’s worth, the Russian wrestlers that we see at this level are all pretty much very highly skilled. And they usually all have something in their bag of tricks. But I think that if there is one chink in their armor, it may be their gas tank. So I think that one of the ways to be successful against them is to make them wrestle for an entire match. I know that is easier said than done, but again that’s one of the reasons why they’re so successful.

I like how the tournament let the American finalists wrestle the first matches of the finals. Had to catch their flight, perhaps?

Congrats to Kyle on winning the gold and James making it to the finals. Also kudos to the rest of the Team USA for making the trip out there and getting more experience and more feel of the technique of elite Russian (other tough countries as well - Iran, etc.) wrestlers. It can only help.

Also want to apologize to Gilman and Zain for my head banging post yesterday. Wasn't trying to be disrespectful to them or their coaches.....it was just sports talk from a disgruntled sports fan after watching 2 tough losses from 2 tough wrestlers that I like.

2td3nf, according to a post on Twitter, the match order of the finals was altered to accommodate Team USA’s flight. 
As for Gilman and Zain, I am rewatching their matches, but I have to say that both of those weight classes were stacked, and looking at Gilman’s loss, I think it’s another one of cases where he just didn’t stay on the gas pedal. I am convinced that it’s really risky business to just sit on a small lead and just allow these guys to take shots at you. 

Well whoever we send at 65, it’s going to be a monumental task, looking at the field at the Alans, you can see the depth of talent in this weigh class. I know that the US Open is right around the corner but I personally would’ve liked to have seen Yianni compete at the Alans.

Alans in some weight classes is arguably more competitive than worlds/olympics to medal because at least in the latter there can only be one Russian lol.

Also Zare actually teched Gwiz in the first period (in 160 seconds/2 mins 40 s), brutal.

Edited by The Genius

5 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well whoever we send at 65, it’s going to be a monumental task, looking at the field at the Alans, you can see the depth of talent in this weigh class. I know that the US Open is right around the corner but I personally would’ve liked to have seen Yianni compete at the Alans.

USAW determines the US reps if I’m putting the pieces together from PD3 claiming they told him he was going until they switched a week before to send Ringer instead

Well I wonder what happened with PD3? But since this trip to the Alans, didn’t feature but a handful of guys, I kind of think that this tournament was just for some guys that didn’t have to go to the US Open, but wanted to get some live competition. 

18 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

how did Gwiz get tech'd in the first? leglace?

No, Gwiz got pushed out a million times with Zare's underhook. Gwiz looked helpless, gassed, banged up, I don't know, but it wasn't much of a competition.

Zare dominated Gwiz.

Any theories on what's happened with Gwiz's conditioning in general the past couple years? He won so many important matches in the 2nd period two and three years ago. Recently, his conditioning seems to be a clear weakness.

Edited by maligned

Any theories on what's happened with Gwiz's conditioning in general the past couple years? He won so many important matches in the 2nd period two and three years ago. Recently, his conditioning seems to be a clear weakness.
Father Time is catching up with him.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

What are you talking about? He's 26 and statistically speaking is entering or has recently entered the prime of his athletic career
He looks tired. The eight year grind that he's been on is catching up with him.

I'd say his best days are in the rearview mirror. Wouldn't you?

Is he going to take out Geno or Taha? Is this the year for Gwizz?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not our rep at 125.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk