6 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

ugarte, FRL speculated some Cornell guys coming OFF their ORS. That centered around Max Dean and Vito Arujau coming back post Jan. 1. Do you see any chance of that happening?

I'm not an insider; i have no idea. My assumption has always been that the mass OLY redshirt was thinking ahead to the 2021 and 2022 tournaments where the lineup is at full strength with next year's powerhouse class coming in along with the returning freestyle squad. "Keep Yianni and Dean on the same schedule" makes sense in that setup.

If they do come back, Dean certainly improves the lineup because he is an instant AA but also complicates it because I am not sure if a post-surgery Darmstadt is strong enough yet to handle 197 at an AA level. As for Arujau the best lightweight lineup for the Big Red by far is Arujau/Tucker/Baughman, so if Arujau did come back it would be at 125. Tucker is built like a granite fireplug and I don't think he could make 125 without surgery.

2 hours ago, ugarte said:

I'm not an insider; i have no idea. My assumption has always been that the mass OLY redshirt was thinking ahead to the 2021 and 2022 tournaments where the lineup is at full strength with next year's powerhouse class coming in along with the returning freestyle squad. "Keep Yianni and Dean on the same schedule" makes sense in that setup.

If they do come back, Dean certainly improves the lineup because he is an instant AA but also complicates it because I am not sure if a post-surgery Darmstadt is strong enough yet to handle 197 at an AA level. As for Arujau the best lightweight lineup for the Big Red by far is Arujau/Tucker/Baughman, so if Arujau did come back it would be at 125. Tucker is built like a granite fireplug and I don't think he could make 125 without surgery.

One thing I forgot earlier. The FRL guys felt that Cornell could bring back Dean and Arujau and steal 3rd place in the team race. I think this played into their thought process. 

Arujau is a sleeper to win the whole damn thing, upsetting Lee in the process.  He's very very very good.  Dean?  I think he had the tournament of his life and will not repeat that performance.  He's AA material all day... But not multiple time NCAA champ material in my book.  Especially with Zahid in that mix.

18 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Arujau is a sleeper to win the whole damn thing, upsetting Lee in the process.  He's very very very good.  Dean?  I think he had the tournament of his life and will not repeat that performance.  He's AA material all day... But not multiple time NCAA champ material in my book.  Especially with Zahid in that mix.

Dean kinda spooked me too. He stole the title and gave it right back.

10 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

lol... yeah... he won in my head, but in reality, didn't.  I guess his win over MyMar was so surprising that at the time of writing (also while having some Jameson), I just blurted out that he won.  lol

10 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I think this is a huge tournament for Alirez. He gets a chance to show if he’s a contender at 149. I’d love to see an Alirez-Sasso matchup along the way. 

I had thought this would be his coming out party but it looks like we're not going to see him.

He missed the dual vs. Fresno and I don't see him registered.

12 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I had thought this would be his coming out party but it looks like we're not going to see him.

Dang hate to hear that. Hopefully he makes it back soon. 

7 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I was thinking/hoping the same for Alirez plus a few other UNC guys in general.  Neither NQ's Sandoval or Matthews (who had zero gas tank vs Fresno) are listed either.  

15 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Credit to Foster for wrestling a perfect match. Dean planned to win with his gas tank and Foster wore him out first. 

21 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Some guys that I'm looking out for that could turn some heads this weekend...

133) Mosha Schwartz 
141) Noah Baughman
157) Peyton Robb -- will definitely be ranked after this weekend IMO
165) Cam Coy -- probably ill advised... still waiting for it to click for this kid
184) Zach Carlson
197) Lucas Davison

133 Ridge Lovett... I think he coild turn some heads.. they burned his redshirt already this year.

3 hours ago, HuskerMac said:

133 Ridge Lovett... I think he coild turn some heads.. they burned his redshirt already this year.

I don't think it was a good move. IMO he didn't look great against UNI. I don't know why they would hurry him out like they did. There was plenty of season to get him in some opens first before making that decision.

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I don't think it was a good move. IMO he didn't look great against UNI. I don't know why they would hurry him out like they did. There was plenty of season to get him in some opens first before making that decision.

So what you're saying is... you didn't Lovett?

On 12/4/2019 at 5:14 PM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Some guys that I'm looking out for that could turn some heads this weekend...

133) Mosha Schwartz 
141) Noah Baughman
157) Peyton Robb -- will definitely be ranked after this weekend IMO
165) Cam Coy -- probably ill advised... still waiting for it to click for this kid
184) Zach Carlson
197) Lucas Davison

I thought turning heads was against the rules? Maybe I'm thinking of a headlock without an arm...

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

I mean he could have done better for sure. He did go into the second with a 2-0 lead and like 2 minutes of riding time. Needs to improve on bottom but that all could have been nerves.  I don't mind it because i feel hes the best 133 we have and Nebraska has a real shot and being on the podium this year. Need all the help we can get and have people actually wrestle to there potential.

Just now, HuskerMac said:

I mean he could have done better for sure. He did go into the second with a 2-0 lead and like 2 minutes of riding time. Needs to improve on bottom but that all could have been nerves.  I don't mind it because i feel hes the best 133 we have and Nebraska has a real shot and being on the podium this year. Need all the help we can get and have people actually wrestle to there potential.

He may come around. I just don't understand the hurry.

With true freshman I always think of the year that Zalesky took Alex Tsirtsis out of redshirt his true freshman year; probably around 2004. Alex started the season looking fantastic, until he lost a match to #1 ranked Nate Gallick in tie breakers. Maybe it was just me, but I never thought he wrestled with the same level of confidence again after that. I don't think Alex was ready and I think Zalesky squandered his potential by hurrying to get him on the mat. 

24 minutes ago, russelscout said:

He may come around. I just don't understand the hurry.

With true freshman I always think of the year that Zalesky took Alex Tsirtsis out of redshirt his true freshman year; probably around 2004. Alex started the season looking fantastic, until he lost a match to #1 ranked Nate Gallick in tie breakers. Maybe it was just me, but I never thought he wrestled with the same level of confidence again after that. I don't think Alex was ready and I think Zalesky squandered his potential by hurrying to get him on the mat. 

Maybe the kid just doesn't want to go to school for 5 years. 

Just now, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Maybe the kid just doesn't want to go to school for 5 years. 

Maybe, but he did redshirt after his junior year I believe. I think there is a good reason why you see Cael or even the Toms wait until after Christmas to burn the shirt. 

On 12/3/2019 at 4:25 PM, funnyfletcher said:

125: Mueller, Schroder, Mackall, Camacho, Schwarm, McKee

133: Rivera, Tucker, Bridges, LaMont, Kinner, Sykora

141: Demas, Pletcher, Wilson, McKee, Red, M. Moore, Parker

149: Sasso, Degen, B. Moore, Thomsen, Zacherl, B. Lee, Alirez, Parriott, Purinton, 

157: Hidlay, Deakin, Lewan, Carr, Coleman, Teemer

165: McFadden, White, Shields, Fogarty, E. Smith, Conigliaro

174: Steiert, Labriola, Skatzka, Valencia, Lydy, Womack, K. Romero

184: Zahid, Lujan, Venz, DePrez, Hidlay, Darmstadt, Bolen, Colbray, Hoffman

197: Moore, Sloan, Brunner, Davison, Schultz, Aiello, Lane, Orndorff

285: Parris, Hall, Orndorff, Singletary

Here's some of the ranked guys who should be there. 

141 ain't too shabby. if they make finals, does Pletcher repeat recent victory over Demas?